The Association for the Advancement of Retired Persons or AARP research shows that the United States has close to 5.7 million children living in grandparents’ homes. These families are often called “grand families.” Grandparents providing sole care and custody for grandchildren populations are slowly becoming a trend, but have been part of families’ structure since the 1940s (Goodman & Silverstein, 2006). According to the 2000 U.S. Census, 5.8 million grandparents are living with their grandchildren under the age of 18 and 42% of these grandparents have primary responsibility for their grandchildren (Grinstead, L.N., Leder, S., & Torres, E., 2007).
The U.S. Census Bureau reported that in 1970, 2.2 million or 3.2 percent of children in the United States lived in a household maintained by a grandparent. However by 1997, this number had risen to 5.5 percent or 3.9 million, a 76 percent increase over 27 ye...
... middle of paper ...
... reports: marital status and living arrangements (March, 1990). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office (Series P-20, No. 168).
Vacha-Hasse, T., Ness, R., Dannison, L. & Smith, A. (manuscript submitted for publication).
The Bureau of Justice Statistics. (2005). New incarceration figures: Thirty-three consecutive years of growth. Retrieved July 10, 2013, from http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/rd_stateratesofincbyraceandethnicity.pdf
Dannison, L., & Nieuwenhuis, A. (Eds.). (1996). Second time around - grandparents raising grandchildren. Kalamazoo, MI: Western Michigan University Press.
De Toledo, S., & Brown, D. (1995). Grandparents as parents: A survival guide for raising a second family. New York: The Guilford Press.
Griffen, M. & Waller, M. (1985). Group therapy for the elderly: one approach to coping. Clinical Social Work Journal, 261-271.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- December 16, 2011 led to a wonderful bond and an unexpected change in my life. My son and his girlfriend were young parents, barely 17 years old, I ended up providing everything my granddaughter needed from the moment she was born. After living with me for 20 months in a moment of rage my son and his girlfriend took my granddaughter in the middle of the night and left without a trace. Typically, a grandparent was the one that spoiled the grandchildren and then sent them home with the parents. Now they have to take on the role of parent when the child’s parents are incapable or disinclined to parent sufficiently (Administration for Children And Familie, Region IV).... [tags: Drugs, Teen Pregnancy, Finance]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- The study done by Hayslip, Blumenthal and Garner ( 2015) focused the role of social support when it came to foreseeing the health of grandparents who were raising grandchildren. The sample size of this study included 86 grandparent guardians over the course of one year. Participants of this study were requited throughout the US and Canada (Hayslip, Blumenthal and Garner, 2015). The sample has 89.2% being white with a majority at 66.7% being married and female (Hayslip, Blumenthal and Garner, 2015).... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Marriage, Old age]
1393 words (4 pages)
- The Influence of Grandparents in the Lives of Children Grandparents play important roles today in the most family, and they influence their grandchildren 's physical development, cognitive development, and social and personality development. "In 2010, about one in 14 U.S. children (7 percent) lived in a household headed by a grandparent—for a total of 5.4 million children, up from 4.7 million in 2005" (Scommegna,2012) (1.More U.S. Children Raised by Grandparents). It shows that every fourteen children in the United States; at least one child is living or raising by his or her grandparents by 2010.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Mother, Family therapy]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- “For Many in the U.S, Grandparents are a Family Safety Net.” reads an August 2011 headline published by the Press Herald. This has proven true over and over again as grandparents are often considered the “glue “that holds the family together. These patriarch/matriarchs (regardless of age) offer priceless advice, leadership, and comfort in crisis situations. Their life experience, witt, and wisdom make for essential elements of the family unit. These individuals wear a variety of hats. In many situations, grandparents are forced; not by law but by affection and personal moral to take on the role as the primary caretaker of the child.... [tags: Family, Foster care, Grandparent, Fosterage]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- In Casper and Bianchi’s Grandparenting reading, grandparents have always been portrayed as heroic figures that come to the rescue whenever there’s a family crisis at hand. The family dynamic has become more diverse where now you’ll see grandparents co-parenting or completely raising their grandchildren. While young black adults believe grandparents should have a parental role in rearing grandchildren, young white adults oppose to the idea. They believe the role of parenting should only be the parent and that grandparents should only maintain contact.... [tags: Family, Marriage, Mother, Father]
806 words (2.3 pages)
- Parenting can be a challenge the first time around, but many parents are finding themselves parenting for a second time, this time around, as the child’s grandparents. Grandparents may assume the role of parent for their child’s children when there are problems of substance abuse, abuse and neglect, incarceration, HIV/AIDS, mental illness, divorce, and death. (Dolbin-MacNab, 2006, p.1) Grandparents usually are not expecting to have to parent again, this is the time most are enjoying their new found freedom.... [tags: Grandparents, Study]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Extended family can influence the upbringing on children in multiple ways. To properly review and analyze research in this particular area, it is necessary to highlight important information from which formed this foundation. Extended family members have direct influences on children by serving as their role models in aiding them with success, encouragement, support and guidance (Jæger, 2012). Grandparents, crucial extended family members, which have a direct interaction with their grandchildren when they are in need of help or assistants.... [tags: Extended Family Members, Role Models]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Grandparents Raising Children: The Effects The substantial increase in the number of grandparents assigned as primary caretakers for the well-being of their grandchildren is on the rise in society. Grandparents play a significant part in the life of the child but when grandparents assume the parental role and take on the duties and responsibilities of a custodial parent, several stressors can surface which may cause strain within the family structure. This paper will examine the emotional and social effects this placement has on the grandparents, discuss possible challenges that may arise and briefly incorporate research on consequences that develop in the child due to lack of support and re... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Emotion, Childhood]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- Anderson Family The Anderson family is an African-American pair of grandparents –Ernie and Audrey—raising their daughter’s three children. Their daughter and her husband were killed in a car accident recently; however, the grandchildren had been living with the grandparents before this untimely tragedy due to financial hardships experienced by the family. There are three children, two of which appear to be adjusting well, and have supports in place. The main concern of Ernie and Audrey surround their 3-month old granddaughter, Artesia.... [tags: Family, Developmental psychology]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- He is the lightkeeper he keeps the light for me extra beams safety deposited inside a microfold somewhere somewhere hidden somewhere inside those pretty hands --Finney, "The Lightkeeper" Is Nikky Finney's poem "The Lightkeeper" about her dad or someone else. Many people have different opinions on who her poem is about, but when I read it, I imagine the lightkeeper to be my grandfather, even though my family is your basic "Cleaver" family. My parents are still happily married after their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.... [tags: Family Grandmother Grandfather]
1642 words (4.7 pages)