Is there anyone who doesn’t remember saying his or her version of that at least once? And the end result... a tin full of the best homemade cookies you have ever tasted in your life! It was her way; she was a second mother to us all. If you had a problem or a need for a place to stay, you went to visit – sometimes for an extended period of time, mind you – to Grams. Upon talking to people, I’ve jotted down a bit of verbal memorabilia so to speak, about the grandest lady I have ever met.
I learned almost from the very second I took my first step just how easy it was to sneak over to her house. Mom was never concerned about us in those days; she knew exactly where to look if she needed to find us.
Gram was the ideal grandmother; she was exactly how a person pictures a grandparent to be. Her gentle wisdom and patience, her experiences of the past proved to each and every one of us that with the same pioneer spirit that she exuded, and with a strong faith in God, you could make it under any circumstance. She may not have talked about much but her actions said it all for her.
Let’s start at the beginning. She was the consummate babysitter. Having at least one grandchild around at any given time was not uncommon. When I was very young, I practically lived over there. My parents worked and we were shipped daily to Grams. All day long, she would either be in the kitchen, outside doing laundry, or tending to stock, aka the pigs and / or chickens. We would spend all day long hovering around her, watching her, giving her our rendition of “help”, and all around being a general nuisance. But did she ever complain? Not that I ever heard. In fact, we were with her so much, we didn’t even want to go home at ...
... middle of paper ...
...d I haven’t. In well over a year, even though it wasn’t always on Thursday, I have not missed a single week to see her. Even at the end in the hospital, I was there I believe for her last moments. I feel she knew I made it for yet one more time. Before I left, I tried valiantly – but without success – to hold back the tears that welled up, brimmed out and rolled down my cheeks. I touched her shoulder, that precious shoulder I have hugged for a good many years, and I whispered to her, “I didn’t miss a week, Gram.”
Thursday wasn’t my exact day to visit in the last few weeks but it had been for several years. And I know… I know… that each and every one from now on will be full of reminiscing.
The memories, the precious, beautiful memories… we all have them of her.
You are unforgettable lady, Lena Clark, and I know that I will never, ever stop missing you.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The correlation is to identify the two wafers with crème in the middle instead of an ordinary cookie. The crème is made from five main ingredients which include powered sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, vegetable shortening, and water. The nutrition facts per serving consist of three cookies that have 160 calories, seven grams of total fat, 25 grams of carbohydrate, one gram of protein, 55 milligram of sodium, and 140 milligram of sodium. The serving size also contains six percent of iron.... [tags: business/marketing strategies]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- After selecting the unknown sample # 2, the gram stain technique was performed in order to correctly identify the microbes. Gram staining is considered a differential media because staining differentiates between gram negative and gram positive bacteria. The purpose of the gram stain is to give crucial information as to whether the bacteria has a positive or negative cell wall, provides rapid results to physicians, and identifies the shape and arrangement of the organisms. The gram stain of sample # 2 reveals that one of the unknown microbes is a gram negative bacillus/rod and the other is a gram negative coccus.... [tags: Bacteria, Microbiology, Gram staining]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- Introduction The gram stain experiment is used mostly to help identify bacteria inside certain products. Also, the gram stain was being used since 1884 to separate bacteria into groups. The gram stain is separated based on the reaction on the stain. Bacteria reacts based on being tested with gram positive, gram negative and gram variable. Also, based from the scientist knowledge the response that occurs from cells to the stain occurs, because of the difference in the complexity and chemistry of the bacterial cell wall.... [tags: Bacteria, Gram staining, Staining]
1358 words (3.9 pages)
- In the first part of the practical exercise, a gram stain reaction was performed on the sample collected from the carrot infected with soft rot. Gram stain result showed that the bacteria presented on the diseased carrot were gram negative and rod shaped, which were stained pink under the microscope. This result indicated that the bacteria did not have a thick peptidoglycan layer; therefore it was not possible for them to retain the dark crystal violet stain, even with the presence of the mordant iodine solution.... [tags: Gram staining, Staining, Bacteria, Microbiology]
1477 words (4.2 pages)
- ... However, during anaerobic respiration yeast create only 2 ATP per glucose molecule. This is why yeast has to consume much more glucose in the absence of oxygen in order to maintain energy production requirements. McIntosh, P. (2011). Yeast and Leavening Agents. In B. W. Lerner & K. L. Lerner (Eds.), In Context Series. Food (Vol. 2, pp. 867-869). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.ez.sccd.ctc.edu:2060 Sterilization requires the destruction or removal of viable microbes, endospores, viroids, and prions to preventing infections.... [tags: Tuberculosis, Bacteria, Gram staining]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Introduction Bacteria are grouped into two categories as Gram positive and Gram negative. The bacteria that retain the color of the primary stain are gram positive and the bacteria that lose the color of primary stain are called gram negative bacteria. Gram positive cells have a thicker peptidoglycan layer and doesn 't contain the outer membrane. Gram positive cells will retain the primary stain of crystal violet because they have a thick outer layer of peptidoglycan that traps the dye among its high degree of teichoic acid crosslinks.... [tags: Gram staining, Staining, Bacteria, PH indicator]
2373 words (6.8 pages)
- Introduction Gram staining was developed by Christian Gram in the 1800’s, a Danish bacteriologist. (Smith and Hussey, 2005) It was the first differential staining technique and most common used in microbiology. Furthermore, bacteria are transparent and cannot be seen through the microscope. For that reason, Gram staining is an important tool for distinguishing between two main types of bacteria Gram-positive and Gram-negative. The Gram stain differentiates the Gram positive and gram-negative on the basis of their cell wall structure.(Menard, et al.,20150) Most bacteria gram positive or gram negative but they are a few gram variable bacteria and very small bacteria without a cell wall that... [tags: Gram staining, Bacteria, Gram-positive bacteria]
1679 words (4.8 pages)
- Chocolate chip cookies are some of the most delectable snacks out there; they satisfy our sweet tooth with one simple bite. Chocolate chip cookies are baked in all different shapes and sizes, depending on the recipe you are making. You can do this by adding baking soda to a recipe, only adding baking powder to a recipe or even adding both. You can do the same with granulated sugar and brown sugar only adding either one of those to a recipe. These four different ingredients all have different effects and affect a cookie in different ways.... [tags: cookies, chocolate chips, baking soda]
834 words (2.4 pages)
- The Cookie Conspiracy 	A place of eternal happiness, so it seems. Though looks can be decieving, we have never seen this place. It is a place we have only heard of, heard of the positive things, heard of nothing but good and fuzzy stuff. But beneath the blanket of the fake, lies the real side of this hellish port. A conspiracy so huge on it's own people that it is truly unfathimable to us as humans. I am talking about the Cookieland Government and the genocide they are performing on it's own citizens.... [tags: essays research papers]
770 words (2.2 pages)
- To be, or Not to Be the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie The delicious smell of chocolate chip cookies is known to everyone across the nation. Americans thrive on deserts and chocolate chip cookies happen to be one of the many favorites. As there are many different types of deserts, there are also many different brands of chocolate chip cookies. Most Americans have their own preferences about which chocolate chip cookie they consider the best. I made it my goal to go out an find the best chocolate chip cookie by surveying people and testing three popular brands of cookies for flavor, chewiness, and appearance.... [tags: essays research papers]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- Fast And Furious : The Yersinia Pestis Bacterium
- The University Open Book Exam Gave Us A Valuable Lesson On Risk And Hedging
- Annotated Bibliography On How Uniform Policy Swept U.s.
- Wal Mart : The Biggest Organization And Private Boss
- Childhood Abuse And Neglect Learning And Helping Strategy
- The Field Of Medical Imaging