As a college student, I had to rise my writing skills and take it to the next level which is the academic level. Even though I am able to write a formal essay without any skill of descriptive writing, but later on with some efforts in this class I managed to learn how to write a descriptive writing essay to deliver ideas and thoughts to my readers. When I took "Show, Don’t Tell," with Mr. Sarvis class, he taught me how to get in the mood of making my reader see through my eyes and imagine the story that I am writing. The way of making my essay reader feel my emotions and my experience throughout a journey of descriptive scenes instead of reporting the scenes directly in a boring way.
I want to present one of my descriptive writing in my cul...
... middle of paper ...
...queness and lacked of academic writing experience. However, my writing skills improved since I started taking this class and every class I noticed a progress in my writing skills. As a result of taking lessons of "Show, Don’t Tell" I became more descriptive in my writing and expressed my emotions the way that will touch the reader heart. Also, I learned how to enter the conversation with outer sources which made my writing more academic in responding to other writers. Thus, my essays now are more solid and academic because of entering the conversation and expressing my opinion in the thesis statement. In addation, I learned how to write the thesis statement and how it is important for the essay reader. I learned a lot through this class and I can assert that my writing skills before were totally different from the moment I took English Composition I in this semester.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On a typical hot day, the twenty-eight of August was the first day of the fall 2016 semester. I was excited to attend my English Composition I and meet my instructor. I was able to write an essay without any struggle as I learned before in the English language Institute of Akron university. However, writing an academic essay needs a lot of practice, knowledge and that what I needed in order to improve my writing skills. As an ELI student I was able to write a formal essay with fundamental requirements but without sense of creativity.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Academia, Composition studies]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Thirty seconds. Thirty seconds is all it takes. It took thirty seconds for me to look at my reflection in the mirror this morning. It took thirty seconds to put on my maroon, polyester graduation gown, hood and hat. Thirty seconds to hang the variety of colorful chords, stolls, and medals around my neck that displayed my achievements throughout high school. Thirty seconds for me to realize that today, I am graduating high school. As the traditional graduation song that we had all be waiting to hear, Pomp and Circumstance, started to play, the nervous energy began to rise in the reverberating corridors.... [tags: Graduation, High school, Academic dress]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- For thirteen long years, I imagined the stature and freedom of being a high school graduate. Every scenario I had created in my mind about my future was beyond this point of restraint that kept me from being a true adult. As far as I was concerned, in the last months of my high school career, graduating was the end game. I could practically feel the seals on my diploma and visualize the Old English font, I had never built up an event so much before. The only thing keeping me from moving forward with my life was the time until graduation.... [tags: High school, Graduation, Academic dress, College]
1231 words (3.5 pages)
- What lead to my late graduation you might ask. well it started back in freshman year. I was told that your freshman years are important but I paid no mind to the warning. I was only 15 at the time come out of middle the last thing on my mind was school work. I did well my first semester but after that i failed a few classes and from there started the predicament i was in. After my freshman year first semester ended i spent a little more focus on my school work. even with a little more focus i was still behind did not think must of it.... [tags: High school, High school diploma, Graduation]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- Before I enrolled in composition my writing was limited to what I learned in high school and in the Foundations of Academic Writing 1 and 2. Firstly, my writing and sense of writing has drastically changed since the beginning of the semester. My writing has changed for the better in several different dimensions; for instance, my research, creativity, grammar, and essay structure have all improved. Secondly, my reading has also improved in several different aspects; for example, I have learned to scan and skim the text for the important material to save time while researching.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Literature, Paper]
1719 words (4.9 pages)
- I remember vividly, getting off the airplane in the middle of January, and feeling the cold wind, which felt like needles, hitting against my face. We had finally reached New York. I had only heard of this city through phone conversations from my mother and father while my sisters and I awaited their return back home to our island. It was snowing that day and I remember being in awe of the white flakes that melted on my tongue as I stuck it out. It was so cold, yet still I played with the snow until my hands went numb, and even then I didn’t stop.... [tags: English language, Writing, Word, Creative writing]
1064 words (3 pages)
- After I graduated high school I thought my writing was good enough until I took an English class this semester. I was quite surprised at how much my writing was lacking in sentence structure, use of citation, and some general grammar. In the past I was able to get decent grades on my writing assignments, but I guess that was because I was in high school and the standards weren’t that high. I didn’t put much effort in my past writing, my arguments weren’t fully expressed and I lacked a lot of technical writing skills like how to use citations and organize my supporting details.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Literature, Creative writing]
1601 words (4.6 pages)
- Okay, before anything else, I will say that I have run this letter through both PaperRater and Grammarly, but I am still going to apologize for any grammar mistakes you pick up in this paper, because I always manage to have some. Now, with my apology out of the way, I would like to tell you how thankful I am to have had you as my teacher this year. I will admit that at the beginning of the year, I was filled with trepidation, mostly because even though my past seniors told me I would be fine in the class, I also had quite a few seniors tell me that the class was incredibly hard.... [tags: Writing, Thought, Government, Writing style]
1036 words (3 pages)
- This year, all I wanted to was to get over the semester. I really never had my priorities straight. I always thought that college has been just a place where you meet new people, and also a place where you have fun. But now that I had to face the actual struggles of college, I had to learn that college wasn’t just about having fun and playing games. Waiting for the clock to tell me when the class was over wasn’t my main priority. My main priority after half of the semester was to get as much information I could possibly from my professors.... [tags: Essay, Writing, Learning, Skill]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- The year is almost over, meaning the time spent growing and learning new linguistic and writing strategies is coming to a close. Looking back on the long journey I have experienced first-hand, I have noticed growth with every piece that I wrote. At times the class was stressful, but it was always an extreme accomplishment to finish a paper and grow and develop as a writer. First semester, I set goals that I felt would be attainable, yet beneficial for the AP exam. The goals I established were to become more creative in my writing, expand my use of rhetorical strategies, and improve my vocabulary.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Linguistics, Piece]
1086 words (3.1 pages)