The character this film is primarily centered around is Will Hunting. Will lives in a tattered house in a bad neighborhood in the city of Boston. He grew up in foster care where he sustained continual physical abuse as a child. Will has a few close friends he is always with but never opens up about anything below surface level. Will is incredibly gifted with intelligence however he works as a custodian at the highly prestigious school, MIT. Professor Lambeau teaches advanced mathematics at MIT and is the one who discovers Will’s incredible talent for solving advanced mathematical theory. Professor Lambeau has high hopes for Will and pushes him into getting jobs with prestigious employers so that his gift is not wasted working as a custodian. Chuckie Sullivan is one of the closest of Will’s friends. They’ve known each other for years and Chuckie drives Will to work every day. Chuckie cares for Will and realizes the gift that he has and tries to convince Will he should be doing something of greater importance with his life. Skylar is a college stu...
... middle of paper ...
... that out yet and he is alright with that at the moment.
Looking back over the past 18 months of Will’s life, there has been tremendous personal growth. Counseling has helped Will to not place blame on himself for his past and to look forward to new opportunities in his life. It has helped him not to end relationships before he can get hurt and instead to have a positive outlook and cherish an important part of life. As far as what he intends to do in the future, it is good that he is involved with something that caters to his special abilities and hopefully will provide him a stepping stone to something he figures out he wants to do.
1. Yalom, I. (1980) Existential psychotherapy, New York: Basic Books
2. Hlavaty, Arthur (2010). Albert Ellis - The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives, Volume 8 - source: Gale virtual reference library
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A studious young man, an open book these two images swirl around the screen in a kaleidoscope effect, this was the introductory scene of "Good Will Hunting." This scene is followed by Ben Afflick, knocking on Will's door, when Will comes out a credit rolls by that says, "screenplay written by Ben Afflick and Matt Damon," just as the two walk side by side. This shows how perfectly the makers of this movie have everything timed, down to the credits. Also, the timing shows when the professor's assistant and Will are alone and the assistant tells Will how lucky he is to have someone believe in him as the professor does.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- This paper will discuss the relationship between Will Hunting and the psychologist Sean Mcguire in the movie Good Will Hunting. The struggles that occur between these main characters will be analyzed and their meanings found. A basic outline of the movie will be included to give the larger picture and its influence upon the two men. An Analysis of the Movie ?Good Will Hunting. and the Main Characters Will Hunting and Sean Mcguire Outline: 1. Description of the Movie a. Setting of the movie b.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
2831 words (8.1 pages)
- Intro A journey is known as a movement from one place to another, so ultimately an inner journey is a movement of states of minds, either resulting in a positive change, or negative. Though an inner journey is a journey of the subconscious, it allows the individual to reflect on their progress and development in the light of encounters which challenge and inspire them. Concepts of inner journey can be seen in Matt Cameron’s Contemporary Australian theatre and drama Ruby moon and Gus Van Sant’s Good will hunting.... [tags: Gus Van Sant, Good Will Hunting, Matt Damon]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- Good Will Hunting is a film which conveys many interlocking themes and messages to its viewers. One of these nicely woven themes is placing trust in the people we care about as well as people we have only recently become acquainted with. Another message, arguably more significant than the last is finding and pursuing the potential one has and bringing meaning into our lives in any form we choose. I believe the potential and success this film demonstrates is that success, growth, and meaning in a person’s life does not always have to come in the form of advancing in a career or social status but rather in the form of overcoming hardships and developing close reciprocating relationships.... [tags: Film Analysis]
1966 words (5.6 pages)
- Good Will Hunting is the graceful tale of a young gentleman’s struggle to find out where he belongs in the world, by first finding out who he himself is. In this film, Matt Damon takes on the role of a disturbed genius that has a keen understanding of the deepness of human character. The film is a voyage through the mind of Will Hunting as he is required to undergo psychotherapy as an alternative to serving jail time. With the assistance of a psychologist, played by Robin Williams, Will learns about himself and recognizes his individual worth in the world by comprehending what is most important to him in his own life.... [tags: Film Analysis ]
2142 words (6.1 pages)
- Helpful Background: Attachment Theory Applied to "Good Will Hunting" Will Hunting has a classic attachment disorder. Abused as a child, he has trouble developing meaningful and appropriate relationships with adults and women. His only friends are among a group of young men his own age who cannot begin to compete with his intelligence. He has no empathy for people outside his close group of friends. He cannot manage his basic emotions, such as anger. If he has a disagreement with someone or if he dislikes them, he will assault them either verbally or physically.... [tags: Psychology, Emotion, Attachment theory, Love]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- II. INTRODUCTION The film “Good Will Hunting” follows the story of Will Hunting (Matt Damon) a self-taught genius who works at one of the most prestigious technology schools; MIT, as a janitor. Will is an orphan with a criminal record of Assault, grand theft auto, assaulting a police officer, etc. Will solves a complex math problem, which leads to him being discovered by professor Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard) as a genius. Professor Lambeau makes a deal with the judge when Will is incarcerated to be on parole under Lambeau’s supervision and Will is ordered to see a therapist once a week.... [tags: Developmental psychology, Psychology]
920 words (2.6 pages)
- Social Location Determines Life The sociological perspective examines the hidden reasons for one’s actions and identities that people have. It stressed how they are influenced by their society and most of all their social location. Social location predetermines all aspects of one’s life and there are rules that come with social location, and with rules come social control mechanisms and social stratification that keep people in line. With social location also come institutions that provide roles which form one’s identity.... [tags: Role of Social Location]
1467 words (4.2 pages)
- Good Will Hunting The movie Good Will Hunting shows a dramatic relationship between a teacher and student and also relationship's between fellow teachers. The film helps you grow with the characters in order to anticipate and acknowledge the ways in which they interact with one another. It also incorporated the way that egos develop and arise due to relationships and how they can interact with the daily lives of people. The teacher teacher relationship between Dr. Sean Maguire (played by Robin Williams) and Professor Gerald Lambeau (played by Stellen Skarsgard) is an old friendship that has picked up after a long separation.... [tags: Film Analysis]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- Set in South Boston, Good Will Hunting is about Will Hunting (Matt Damon), a young man who immerses himself in books, drinking and friends to escape his anger and frustration stemming largely from his past experiences with abusive foster families. Will and his best friend, Chuckie Sullivan (Ben Affleck), hang out together with their small group of friends in impoverished areas of Boston, drinking and occasionally fighting down in Southie. Will works menial jobs, hiding his incredible genius (such as a talent for memorizing facts and an intuitive ability to solve complex math equations).... [tags: Film Analysis]
1797 words (5.1 pages)