The friendship between Chuckie and Will is a very good example of how love can be genuinely expressed indirectly through words and actions. An example is when they are at the construction site and he says to Will:” you have got something none of us has...It would be an insult to us if you were here in 20 years.” This is a good example of virtuous friendship according to Aristotle. He describes it as a friendship in which people wish good for each other for the sake of both of them. He continues saying that this friendship is hard to find , but that it lasts longer than all the others. I absolutely agree with Aristotle. ...
... middle of paper ...
...be truly happy.” Diotima’s speech in Plato’s Symposium suggests that we are all looking for beauty in order to be fully happy.She continues to talk about a certain ladder of love we all need to go through to completely grasp the truest form of beauty. I certainly agree with her that all of us are attracted to beautiful things. An example from the movie is when Will describes his girlfriend Skylar as beautiful and smart. Diotima, however, places this attraction to the lowest stage of the ladder of love and thus not important at all. Prof. Maguire did not need to go through all the stages to attain the happiness he found with his wife. Having only his wife gave him complete happiness. Having acquired the knowledge of beauty does not mean that we have also acquired the happiness we need. Most of the people always feel contented on the lowest step of Diotima’s ladder.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship C.S. Lewis believes that friendships are built on commonality. However; if you begin to see that the person you are trying to build a friendship with don’t have the same similarities as you do then you begin to see that there will be no friendship amongst the two of you. C.S. Lewis says that the foundation of the friendship becomes difficult because, “friendship arises out of mere Companionship when two or more of the companions discover that they have in common some insight or interest or even taste which the others do not share and which, till that moment, each believed to be his own unique treasure (or burden).... [tags: Friendship, Love, Interpersonal relationship]
1040 words (3 pages)
- An individual is shaped and molded by how they are treated by those that surround them. Most people value the opinions of those they care about and want to act in accord. Consequently, the choices people make are greatly influenced by the people in their lives. Sometimes, someone will become close with people who are different from each other. Such is the case in Good Will Hunting. Will Hunting (Matt Damon) struggles between the people that created him and the people that discovered him.... [tags: Good Will Hunting Essays]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- Good Will Hunting, by Gus Van Sant, is a well-respected movie meant to inspire others. It reflects how nature and nurture work together in creating a mature human being. In the film we watch a man with a matured brain go through a struggle between his past and his future. He knows that he is highly intelligent but he chooses not to show it often due to his childhood abuse. While watching the movie, the audience doesn’t realize that there is a lot of science being depicted. The movie goes along with the theme of nature versus nurture as well as how the brain generally works.... [tags: Gus Van Sant, Good Will Hunting]
1062 words (3 pages)
- How does it feel to be betrayed by the person who you loved and adored by a blink of an eye. Amralah was wearing a gray tuxedo with black bow tie and black shoes. He also had a fresh haircut that brings out his handsome looks. He gave me a kiss on my forehead, which gave me a feeling that everything will be fine, but as the night goes on and the music get louder all that felt was wrong. Regret was hunting me down. Why did I come here. I don 't even know how to dance. I am a church girl not a party girl.... [tags: Love, Friendship, Black tie, Dance]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- There are many valuable things in life like family, sports, school but what about friendship. To live life without friendship is something no one should ever go through. Friendship is a necessity to living a successful life. Friendship occurs when someone is a supporter, gives assistance, and is attached to someone all the while genuinely taking care of them when they are hurt (The definition of friend, 1995-2002). A good and healthy friendship can be defined fro individuals as when someone has his or her own support system, a friend being loyal, and will always have genuine and mutual trust.... [tags: Love, Friendship, Interpersonal relationship]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- Love and friendship are related terms, there is almost no difference between the two, however these two words actually have different definitions and different meanings to other people. Experiencing love and having friendships can bring out the brightest moments in one 's life. They become the source of positive energy and joy in our lives. However, love and friendships end up causing problems in our lives, and bring about frustration and confusion. Love is an affection we feel for another person, friendship is the most important thing in the world to me.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Love]
1593 words (4.6 pages)
- Friendship is the purest form of love. Only a few people in this world are blessed with true friends, and yes, I am one of those lucky people. *touchwood* ☺ I don 't think I have ever talked about my friends in any of my posts, but today I will do because they are a very special part of my life. ❤ Actually, I didn 't have a lot of friends during my childhood days. I used to talk to everyone in my class, so you can say that all of them were my friends - Still, I didn 't have someone whom I could call my "BFF" or "best friend".... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- Intimacy and friendship both help preserve ones physical and mental well-being. Friendship is the foundation for which a strong love relationship develops. When individuals become friends they share interests, values, trust, understanding, and enjoyment and this is the root from which love grows. The difference between the intimacy of friendship and love is that they each satisfy different needs. Romantic partners satisfy emotional support, money, sexual activity, and shared legal statues, whereas friends provide only emotional support.... [tags: Love, Interpersonal relationship, Friendship]
1054 words (3 pages)
- A studious young man, an open book these two images swirl around the screen in a kaleidoscope effect, this was the introductory scene of "Good Will Hunting." This scene is followed by Ben Afflick, knocking on Will's door, when Will comes out a credit rolls by that says, "screenplay written by Ben Afflick and Matt Damon," just as the two walk side by side. This shows how perfectly the makers of this movie have everything timed, down to the credits. Also, the timing shows when the professor's assistant and Will are alone and the assistant tells Will how lucky he is to have someone believe in him as the professor does.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- This paper will discuss the relationship between Will Hunting and the psychologist Sean Mcguire in the movie Good Will Hunting. The struggles that occur between these main characters will be analyzed and their meanings found. A basic outline of the movie will be included to give the larger picture and its influence upon the two men. An Analysis of the Movie ?Good Will Hunting. and the Main Characters Will Hunting and Sean Mcguire Outline: 1. Description of the Movie a. Setting of the movie b.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
2831 words (8.1 pages)