Golf is most certainly a sport based on the definition of sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other (“Sport”, n.d.). Golf has been an organized sport for over 250 years and since 1952 the R.&A., which was named after the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, and the United States Golf Association have been jointly keeping the rules and regulations for the sport (“Rules and Amateur Status”, n.d.). These rules cover amateur and professional play on a worldwide level which include all aspects of the game including the equipment and playing field. The amount of time golf has had rules probably exceeds the amount of combined time many unquestionable sports have had rules.
Thinking of sports one would envision a person exuding sweat and being temporarily unable to catch one’s breath. Golf initially doesn’t come to mind in that vision; however, playing golf professionally requires one to walk distances of over 6,300 yards (Kelley, n.d.). Playing non-professionally in a tournament usually requires one to walk those distances while carrying your own bag of 14 clubs and balls. Burning those calories walking, even with the pleasure of a golf cart, is estimated at 411 calo...
... middle of paper ...
Nunley, K. (2013, October, 21). How many calories are burned while swimming? Livestrong.com. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/18842-many-calories-burned-swimming/
“Rules and Amateur Status” (n.d.). The R&A. Retrieved from http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status.aspx
Sport. (n.d.). In Merriam-Webster.com. Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport
Strege, J. (2012, May, 29). Is golf a sport? And the answer is … it depends. GolfDigest.com. Retrieved from http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2012/05/is-golf-a-sport-and-the-answer-isit-depends.html
Zarda, B. (2009, January, 2). Is golf a sport? Popular Science. Retrieved from http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-amp-gaming/article/2009-01/golf-sport
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Shot Put as an Interesting Sport Throwing events in track and field have become very popular with high school and middle school students over the past few years. Shot put is the most recognized throwing event of them all. In the event the participant attempts to throw a metal ball as far as they can. Competitors take their put from inside a seven foot circle into a field marked with boundaries referred to as sectors. Many athletes who are interested in throwing, might enjoy the chance to throw, but do not know where to start.... [tags: Sport, Throwing]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Education in sport Brazil sports teams are very successful due to the fact that they have some of the best coaches in the world. But the federations/institutions do not just hire anyone to coach, they want the best and require certain levels of education, licenses, and trainings; which adhere to the guidelines set forth by the Ministry of Education. Becoming a coach of a sports team in Brazil has many requirements, but most importantly ever coach in Brazil must obtain a coaching license under their respective sport institution or federation.... [tags: Sport Education Essays]
2026 words (5.8 pages)
- I have been dancing since age 5; it is tougher than many believe. Learning dance is like learning another language. I know what you are thinking…dance is not a sport it is an art. Truth is the definition of sport is “an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature” Dictionary.com. Competitive Dance takes at least 10 hours of practice each week, sometimes even more. Want to know more about this sport. Dance competitions are separated into categories, age divisions, amount of kids in the dance and level.... [tags: dance, sport, competitions, strength]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- When it comes to teaching, there are many different ways and types of methods you can use to teach your students. One of the most common ways of teaching is by using Sport Education. This type of teaching style is best used for elementary students. According to Daryl Siedentop, a professor from Ohio State University believes that class should teach kids about skills, teamwork, and the importance behind each sport or activity. Sport Education recreates the meaning behind gym class. Sport Education is physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs.... [tags: Sport Education Essays]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- Skeleton is a sport where you race against the clock. The athletes will go down an icy slope on a sled on their stomach, head first. Each athlete makes four runs. Only six medals are given: 3 to women and three to men. The athlete with the quickest time of all four of their runs combined wins. Men and women compete separately so there will be a gold medal for a woman, a gold medal for a man, and so forth. If two athletes have the same time overall, they will tie and come in the same place. It is prohibited to warm a sled’s runners or anything else that may help sliding.... [tags: Sled, Sliding, Sport]
643 words (1.8 pages)
- The Health and fitness industry have many ethical issues involved which was very interesting to me. I have never purchased a membership at a health club, but from the reading I learned a lot about how they operate. It amazed me that health clubs push their sales representatives to get 200-300 new members a month (Amend, 1992). This is a large amount of people for such a short amount a time, which means some members are not fully aware of the fine print of the membership agreement. Also the reading mentions that more than half of instructors at these clubs do not have valid certification (Copeland et al, 1988),.... [tags: sport industry, health club]
700 words (2 pages)
- Mans best friend. The K-9 is a creature that cannot just be left in a house or apartment all day. The K-9 needs to be exercised constantly. There are many different sports out and about in the world today to keep K-9s in shape, but an aquatic sport for dogs. DockDogs is a jumping and diving sport for dogs that has a short history, yields to many different divisions and levels of competition, it also has many job opportunities. DockDogs is a competitive aquatic sport that includes dock jumping and dock diving for all dogs no matter their breed or their size.... [tags: Aquatic Sports, Diving Sport, Dogs, K-9 ]
1575 words (4.5 pages)
- "Sport is such a pervasive human activity that to ignore it is to overlook one of the most significant aspects of contemporary American society. It is a social phenomenon which extends into education, politics, economics, art, the mass media, and even international diplomatic relations. Involvement in sport, either directly as a participant, or indirectly as a spectator, is almost considered a public duty by many Americans. It has been observed that if there is a religion in America today, it is sport." (Sage 1974) Society views sporting events and game-playing as a means of fun, physical exercise, and even relaxation.... [tags: Sport and War Essays]
3363 words (9.6 pages)
- Limits to Growth in Elite Sport ABSTRACT: The purpose of this paper is to discuss some of the ethical implications and problems in elite sport as it gets closer to the human performance limit. Modern elite sport must be viewed on the background of the idea of systematic progress. The Olympic motto, 'citius, altius, fortius'-faster, higher, stronger-gives a precise concentration of this idea. Modern sport is also influenced by the liberal idea of a free market where actors can perform, compete and be rewarded according to performance.... [tags: Sports Sport Athletics Essays]
3550 words (10.1 pages)
- Analysis of The Sport of the Gods by Paul The book "The Sport of the Gods" by Paul is about an African American servant named Berry Hamilton who lived with Fannie and two kids, a son named Joe and daughter named Kit. They lived in a little cottage that sat in the back of the mansion of his employer Maurice Oakley. Berry had been a butler for Mr. Oakley for twenty years. Berry was a loyal and hard working man for Mr. Oakley. Mr. Oakley treated him with so much respect and gave him so much that Berry felt that he had no choice but to serve him the way he did.... [tags: The Sport of the Gods Literature Essays]
821 words (2.3 pages)