GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism; but what is that exactly? Well, there is an answer to that. GMO 's are organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) does not occur naturally. Unlike Organic properties that grow without the need of Herbicides and Pesticides are found in GMO based products. GMO 's are not only found in plants but animals as well; scientists alter their genes with DNA from different species of living organisms such as: bacteria, or viruses to get different traits such as resistance to disease or tolerance of pesticides. GMO’s are not widely known but in some places like Haiti they burn the GMO seeds since most seeds (such as corn) is manufactured by a billion dollar corporation known as Monsanto. When the earthquake struck Haiti in 2010, many crops were left destroyed. As part of their relief fund, Monsanto gave Haitians GMO corn seeds. However, because the seeds could grow only once, the Haitians, in their speculation that something was wrong with the seeds, burned the crops and drove Monsanto out of their country for good. Though, things didn 't stop there. According to the film GMO OMG, 83% of all the corn grown in the U.S. is genetically modified. 91% of the Soy, 88% of Cotton, 90% Canola, and 90% Sugar Beets are all GMO. 165 million acres of GMO crops are in the U.S. alone, and there are 420 million acres of GMO 's worldwide.
GMO 's came around in the 90 's to become a cure to keep the crops from bugs and other pests. However, it backfired when all the insects and weeds became resistant. That 's when Roundup Ready Crops came along. Roundup Ready Crops are a type of chemical that farmers spray on their crops for them to become resistant to weeds and bugs from destroying thei...
... middle of paper ...
..., and lower your immune system. For example: Apples, they are supposed to be good. Which they are, but most of what people are eating today without realizing it, is that the Apples are not Organic unless it says it is! When you eat too much of something it creates a toxic allergen in your body that makes you severely allergic to it. That brings us to why some of the food isn’t labeled that it contains GMO’s. Countries around the world have banned GMO’s in their countries, and some have even protested for the GMO contained products to be labeled all the way for it to be a law to be passed for all GMO products to be labeled but then Monsanto threatened to sue the country (U.S.) if they passed the law that GMO products to be labeled.
Today, Monsanto is the worlds largest seed company dominating the global seed market. In 2001, Monsanto owned 91% of GMO crops worldwide.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Genetically modified organism (GMO) changed the genetic material using genetic engineering techniques in organisms. It gets widely used in scientific research and produce good using the source of medicine and genetically modified food. GMO is used to support the human growth, its population, and the expansion of the society. While the population in the world is growing, food is producing at a rate that is slower than the growth rate of human. Scientist have to find way to increase the production rate and faster time for a plant to grow.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1323 words (3.8 pages)
- Grocery stores and supermarkets are synonymous to fresh fruits, vegetables, and numerous varieties of fish and poultry. The produce you see comes in different sizes, shapes, and vivid colors; all of which looks appealing to consumers. If you were to visit the same supermarket a couple of days later, you might see the same type of produce (that was not purchased the day prior) still look as if it were plucked out the day before. When as a matter of fact, items such as fruits have a very limited shelf life.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- 1. What are GMO 's. GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism; but what is that exactly. Well, there is an answer to that. GMO 's are organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) does not occur naturally. Unlike Organic properties that grow without the need of Herbicides and Pesticides are found in GMO based products. GMO 's are not only found in plants but animals as well; scientists alter their genes with DNA from different species of living organisms such as: bacteria, or viruses to get different traits such as resistance to disease or tolerance of pesticides.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- What are GMO 's. Where do they come from. A person can find themselves asking these questions. GMO 's stands for genetically modified organism. Many can confuse the word organism with only being related to humans, but in reality the word organism defines humans, plants or any single celled living thing (Bakshi). GMO 's come from nature but have long left their true values. The type of GMO that will be discussed in this paper it the type humans eat. Humans consume large amounts of GMO 's via vegetables, proteins, and vitamins.... [tags: DNA, Genetically modified food]
2710 words (7.7 pages)
- A genetically modified organism (GMO) is an organization whose hereditary material has been change using hereditary engineering techniques. The culture of GMOs has triggered a controversy around coexistence of GM and nonGM crops. These genetically qualify organisms (GMOs) are designed for many motive, conclude: pesticide and disease resistance, drought/frost resistance, increased resign, better nutritional content and as a moving to gain medicate or vaccines at fire pain on a liberal ladder. corn and 85 percent of U.S.... [tags: DNA, Genetically modified food, Genetic pollution]
1402 words (4 pages)
- GMO (genetically modified organisms) What is is a GMO. A GMO is a genetically modified organism. GMO’s are good so we should modify more organisms because they are helpful and we will need them in the future. Also genetically modified organisms have a lot of benefits to the like making more with less or getting bigger food also these benefits are not just for plants but for for people bugs insects and all living organisms. But There are Also a lot of concerns for genetically modified organisms because we are making the food in a lab and not naturally growing it and also that it can cause cancer or that it can produce super weeds and many more.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- There has been an ongoing debate about the use of GMOs in the food we eat since the late 1900’s. People try to decide what is best for the body, but never know what they are feeding themselves even after reading the nutritional labels. Whether eating at a local fast food joint or a high-end restaurant, people are unaware of where their food is actually coming from and the process it takes to their plate. Little do they know that in the beginning stages of what they eat, there is some modification to the crop.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1751 words (5 pages)
- Are GMO 's (Genetically Modified Organisms) truly safe or are they harmful to people 's health. The GMO debate has gone on for quite some time. GMO 's is done by splicing genetic material from one organism and transferring it to the mother. The altered DNA imbues the organism with a useful trait. Such as more vitamin or proteins or even making crops resistant to pest, diseases and herbicides. Genetically modifying food must stop before more harmful risks arise. GMO 's are an unsafe risk, they have several drawbacks, and GMO Companies are attacking scientists who disputes the safety in them.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- The term is heard on TV and in conversation, but what is a Genetically Modified Organism or GMO. A GMO is an organism plant that’s genes have been changed in a controlled way in order to produce an organism with specific characteristics. GMOs are organisms whose genetic makeup has been modified using recombinant DNA (gene splicing), gene modification and transgenic technology. GMO’s creates plants, animal, bacterial and viral genes that are not created by nature or natural cross breeding. Most of the buzz about GMOs come from the use of them in plants that are consumed by the general population.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Genetic Modified Organism (GMO) is a standout amongst the most critical issues from around the globe. “According to the World Health Organization, Genetically Modified Organisms(GMOs) are "organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in such a way that does not occur naturally."This technology is also referred to as "genetic engineering", "biotechnology" or "recombinant DNA technology" and consists of randomly inserting genetic fragments of DNA from one organism to another, usually from a different species.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
2176 words (6.2 pages)