This is the essence of a picture that is given to you by former Vice President Al Gore in his Nobel Prize-winning documentary, An Inconvenient Truth. Mr. Gore tells us that the polar ice caps are melting, forcing polar bears from their homes and decimating the species. To illustrate his point, he flashes a stunning photograph of the scene I just described: two polar bears, standing on a chunk of melting ice in the middle of the ocean. All of this, he tells us, is our fault. We’re killing the Earth and thus, killing the polar bear. Just tugs at your heartstrings, doesn’t it?
It shouldn’t. Mr. Gore was gravely mistaken. The photograph that he showed us was taken in Alaska by one Amada Byrd… in August, a time when the ice in Alaska typically melts (Peden). The two bears in question were standing on an iceberg just off the shore. Ms. Byrd’s boat passed between the ice and the land, giving her stunning photograph the illusion of being much farther out to sea (Peden).
So, why the lies? Or are they lies? Perhaps Mr. Gore was merely using a convenient photograph to illustrate a valid point. Why not? If the ends justify the means, then certainly the exploitation o...
... middle of paper ...
...graph took the shape of a hockey stick, giving it the moniker “The Hockey Stick Graph.” It showed a slight cooling trend starting at approximately the year 1000 and running until the early 1900’s, at which point it became a sharp warming trend that lasted until the present day (Peden). Mann’s report gave the problem of Global Warming its first global audience (Peden).
Mr. Mann took seventy sets of data gathered from all around the globe and compiled them with a process called principal component analysis, or PCA. PCA is a means to extract component information from data sets that vary widely (Peden).
Peden, James A. “The Great Global Warming Hoax?” Middlebury Community Network.
www.middlebury.net . 17 Jan. 2009. Web. 29 Dec. 2009.
An Inconvenient Truth. Dir. Davis Guggenheim. Perf. Al Gore, Billy West. Lawrence Bender
Productions, 2006. DVD
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Scientists say that, the twelve warmest years that have been recorded all occurred after 1998. What is the cause of all this warmth. It is global warming. Live science contributor, Bradford defines it as, “the gradual heating of Earth 's surface, oceans and atmosphere” (Bradford). Most people think that Global Warming is a myth, but the rising temperatures say otherwise. According to the environmental protection agency, “Earth’s average temperature has risen 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit over the past century” (EPA).... [tags: Global warming, Carbon dioxide, Oxygen]
1047 words (3 pages)
- To: The Editor In response to Sarah Mailin’s letter I wish to make the following points that rebut all the evidence she has presented that global warming is a myth. • No single climatic event or single yearly average can prove or disprove climate change which is a long-term trend. Whilst it is true that the ‘cold wave’ of 2014 in North America brought some of the coldest temperatures since records began, the NOAA 's National Climatic Data Centre (1) found that since records began in 1895, the winter of 2013/14 was only the 34th-coldest when considering the USA as a whole.... [tags: Global warming, Climate change, Climate]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- Death By Ice Sometimes the biggest problems are solved by the simplest solutions. The ice caps are melting and odds are that one person’s actions will not fix this disaster. This problem is widely overlooked and needs to come to everyone’s attention around the world. Global warming is not a myth, or some fairy tale. The truth is that the United States is in danger of losing thousands of homes and possibly even thousands of lives. According to the New York Times, The ice caps pose a possible threat to coastal landmasses and are only curable by each and every human beings contribution to the matter.... [tags: Carbon dioxide, Global warming]
1443 words (4.1 pages)
- A Day for a Day Believing in global warming or even the idea of global warming has baffled individuals mind since the early 1800’s. Global warming is an increase of carbon dioxide gases forming into the atmosphere. The question that comes a person mind after is why that is. Most individuals does not believe in global warming and think global warming is basically a myth. The individuals that think global warming is a myth should not only check the facts but also pay attention to the things that is happening around them.... [tags: Solar energy, Fossil fuel, Photovoltaics]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
- I want you to picture something. Picture two polar bears, a mother and her cub, the largest land predator on the face of the earth. They stand tall and proud upon a chunk of ice in the middle of the ocean, as if daring you to take the last of their land away from them. As you watch, the ice upon which the proud beasts stands begins to melt and erode, leaving the bears barely enough room to stand. Distraught, you fear for the bears and cry aloud for someone to please save them. As the last of the ice melts into the sea, the bears slip stoically into the water… This is the essence of a picture that is given to you by former Vice President Al Gore in his Nobel Prize-winning documentary, An Inco... [tags: Climate Change, Argumentative Essay]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- Picture this: Your freezer breaks down. The temperature inside the freezer rises. The ice cubes start to melt and turn into liquid. The freezer starts to flood because of all the liquid from the ice cubes. Now, imagine that your freezer is the Earth. What your freezer has just experienced is similar to what happens to the Earth during global warming. Those who believe in global warming warn that it causes a significant rise in temperature in the Earth's atmosphere and oceans, but after doing much research on the topic, I have discovered that the threat of global warming is a bogus one.... [tags: essays research papers]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- The planet Earth has seen a 1.4°F increase in global temperature since the 19th century; carbon dioxide concentration has increased by 40% since 1880, the highest in 800,000 years; sea ice in the Arctic is shrinking; sea levels have increased by eight inches thus far; and the ocean’s acidity is increasing. Global climate change is all too real. Global climate change is not a myth. I interviewed two experts in this field to obtain additional expert accounts and information. One of my interviewees, Virginia Burkett is the Chief Scientist for Climate and Land Use Change for the US Geological Survey and has been studying climate change for 23 years.... [tags: environmental concern, global warming]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- Science can never predict nature behaviour, it is way above everything and so powerful. According to Maslin (2004) in the twenty-first century the most debated scientific topic has been global warming. People took two sides where some of them thinks that there is global warming while the other thinks that it is just a myth. This essay will prove that global warming is a myth and we should stop consider it as a problem when it does not exist. The increase of pollution causes a large outcome to the atmosphere which are the gases, also it could change the climate completely and it pattern in the future (Long et al.... [tags: myth, pollution, environment]
826 words (2.4 pages)
- "Even the best democracies agree that when a major war approaches, democracy must be put on hold for the time being. I have a feeling that climate change may be an issue as severe as a war. It may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while." - James Lovelock (Hickman, 2010) Climate change is a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, mostly due to the increase in the average atmospheric temperature (global warming).... [tags: Global Warming Essays]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- Throughout history climates have drastically changed. There have been shifts from warm climates to the Ice Ages (Cunningham & Cunningham, 2009, p.204). Evidence suggests there have been at least a dozen abrupt climate changes throughout the history of the earth. There are a few suspected reasons for these past climate changes. One reason may be that asteroids hitting the earth and volcanic eruptions caused some of them. A further assumption is that 22-year solar magnetic cycles and 11-year sunspot cycles played a part in the changes.... [tags: Climate Change Crisis, Myth]
2381 words (6.8 pages)