The Business Dictionary defines opportunity as an “exploitable set of circumstances with uncertain outcome, requiring commitment of resources and involving exposure to risk” (Opportunity, 2012, para. 1). To grow and prosper, an organization needs to seek continually opportunities to do so; thus the subject of the case study “Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners” (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, 2007, pp. 72-75). In this case study, Sperry/MacLennan considers its next business venture: to take its architectural skills, and leadership, to the next level by expanding its business beyond its Canadian borders. Furthermore, with this proposal, Sperry/MacLennan explores new opportunities for growth and prosperity; hence, the subject of this paper.
Case 3-2: Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners
Since drafting the first blueprint in 1972, Sperry/MacLennan’s architectural practice has experienced the high and lows of business economics as well as adapted to changes within its business dynamic and focus. Case in point in 1983, Sperry/MacLennan gained national recognition for winning a national competition for the aquatics facility for the Canadian Games held in Saint John (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, 2007, p. 73). With this win, the organization shifted its business focus to recreational facilities while gaining a renewed passion for the industry with the “innovative and new” possibilities, and challenges, recreational faculties provided (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, 2007, p. 73).
In 1987, Sperry/MacLennan hired a new junior partner, and future visionary, Mitch Brooks. While encountering the ebb and flow of the construction business, Brooks embarked on a new research venture to explore...
... middle of paper ...
...s architectural leadership to the next level by expanding its business services beyond Canadian borders into the United States. To move forward with this business venture, Sperry/MacLennan must conduct the necessary market research needed to seize this unique opportunity to grow and prosper its organization; a unique opportunity to take its talents globally and succeed in a global market. However to succeed in a global market, it takes vision and opportunity, and it all begins with market research.
Aaker, D. A., Kumar, V., & Day, G. S. (2007). Marketing Research (9th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
Brainy Quote. (2011). Opportunity Quotes. Retrieved from http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/opportunity.html
BusinessDictionary.com. (2012). Opportunity. Retrieved from http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/opportunity.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis: Sperry/MacLennan The Business Dictionary defines opportunity as an “exploitable set of circumstances with uncertain outcome, requiring commitment of resources and involving exposure to risk” (Opportunity, 2012, para. 1). To grow and prosper, an organization needs to seek continually opportunities to do so; thus the subject of the case study “Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners” (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, 2007, pp. 72-75). In this case study, Sperry/MacLennan considers its next business venture: to take its architectural skills, and leadership, to the next level by expanding its business beyond its Canadian borders.... [tags: Business]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners Sperry/MacLennan (S/M) is a Canadian architectural firm that specializes in recreational facilities. The company was originally founded in 1972 by Drew Sperry as H. Drew Sperry and Associates but was later changes to Sperry/MacLennan with the addition of John MacLennan as a senior partner. After some consideration, the company’s junior partner Mitch Brooks is seeking to expand the company to international markets that include possible markets in Europe and the United States.... [tags: Business Analysis ]
1516 words (4.3 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis: Sperry/MacLennon Architects and Planners The firm, Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners, is a successful Canadian enterprise. The company has sustained itself for many years since its inception in the 1970's; it has survived slow periods, and overall has been successful for many years. The company is at a crossroads and is ready to consider new business endeavors and developments. It is considering expanding its operations to the United States; however, it will have to consider the new market and how expansion fits into its business objectives.... [tags: Business]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis The Sperry/MacLennan group of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia specializes in recreational building design (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, 2007). Junior partner Mitch Brooks has been researching data to present to the board that will support his research that the company should shift focus to a more diversified approach to future business efforts. A case study analysis will prove helpful to his efforts. Describe the situation discussed in the case Drew Sperry (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, 2007) founded Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners (S/M) in 1972.... [tags: Case Study]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Paper Sperry/MacLennan is architectural company based in Canada. The firm main architectural project is recreational building. The firm had been in business since 1970’s and face up and down in the market. The firm currently has 19 employees. In this paper, reader will gain knowledge about opportunities facing Sperry/MacLennan, key issues in growth, and important of global marker research. Summary of Company Drew Sperry, one of the two senior partners in Sperry/MacLennan, founded the company in 1972 as a one-man architectural practice.... [tags: Marketing ]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners are scoping out the possibilities of becoming a global practice. The practice has seen a decrease in architectural projects in Canada and has become aware of opportunities within the United States and other Europen countries. Sperry/MacLennan are beginning the research into the different possibilities and will need to identify the specific problem and prepare for possible challenges. Situation Description Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners located in Dartmouth, Novia Scotia is posed with the decisions to become a global architectural practice.... [tags: Marketing ]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis Conducting research in the global market requires organizations to consider many different factors that may not exist ordinarily. This paper will provide a detailed case study analysis of an organization known as Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners, and its decision to export services to the United States. The following paragraphs will: give an overview of the current situation, identify key issues of the organization, discuss possible ways the issues can be addressed, and explain the value of market research in the global community.... [tags: Market Research ]
1044 words (3 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis Globalization of companies in the global market continues to increase and have major impacts on all areas of business (Aaker, Kumar, & Day, (2007). International marketing research is one of those areas and a major function in organizations in facilitating marketing decisions outside the country the organization is established. Performing effective global market research requires knowledge and expertise in the areas of customer interests, needs, environmental factors, prices, and products of the country of interest.... [tags: Business Analysis, globalization, CADD, profit]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- Global Market Research Case Study Analysis Drew Sperry founded Sperry/MacLennan (S/M) in 1972 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. S/M is an architectural service that initially focused on backyard swimming pools during the housing boom throughout the 1970s. The economy changed in the early 1980s, resulting in downsizing of the previously prosperous S/M organization, leaving only three employees on staff and often foregoing a paycheck during this tight time. S/M won a bid for the aquatics facility to be used in the Canadian Games in Saint John; ultimately resulting in the organization gaining prominent international recognition in sports facility design (Aaker, Kumar, and Day, 2007).... [tags: International Business]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- Marketing Research Case Study: Sperry/MacLennan Architects and Planners Introduction Marketing Research can be designed for many scenarios. It is often referenced in existing companies to understand how clients purchase their product, competition or how to best communicate with the audience. This type of research is also necessary in a successful world-wide expansion as it provides a company with a blue print of how to grow. This paper will examine a global expansion case study and how to perform marketing research in a global economy.... [tags: Marketing ]
1081 words (3.1 pages)