There are many things people can love but sometimes love can also hurt, lose, or drive away people and objects that have special meaning to you in some way or another.When people fall in love their has to be a strong connection between the two and both will have to know what kind of sacrifices both will have to make for each other. Both people that are in the relationship will lose something to them and both have to make sacrifices for each other in order for both to be happy and have a strong loving relationship. Some may lose objects that have meaning to it others can lose jobs or careers that they had been working to get or have done for so long.The thing people lose to the most when they make sacrifices are people such as life long friends or family members that have been with you all your life.
Love can be hard to find and specially hard to maintain their will always be always be problems between both people in the relationship and problems caused by others that are jealous or just can 't deal with someone other than themselves being happy and cannot find on their own. Those that trust and believe in one another those are the ones that can get through any kind of problems that life may throw at them they just have to be ready to catch the other person when their falling. (Britannica) To sacrifice is to give up something precious in order to gain or maintain something, such as a valuable...
... middle of paper ...
...son being is because Della was willing to give up something that she really enjoyed just to get jim a Christmas present, and jim did as well he gave up something for the women he loved to make happy and make sure she had something on Christmas day to cherish, but all they really needed was each other and their full commitment and love for one another.
Making sacrifices is one sign of devotion to another person that truly means something to them.When you care about someone you have to give up so many things, but in the end if it makes both of the individuals happy, then that 's all that should matter. Having to make sacrifices for family, friends, careers, objects, or even sports can be very difficult, but in the end that 's all that matters knowing that the person you love is happy with you and herself because of the actions taken by both partners or individually.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Stories of love and sacrifice abound in literature. Perhaps one of the most well known stories among teens and adults is the tale of a poor, young couple struggling to find the perfect Christmas gifts for each other using their very limited means. They each manage to get what they think is the perfect gift for the other, but only accomplish this by selling a prized possession which effectively makes the new gifts impractical. This bittersweet narrative, “The Gift of the Magi” by O. Henry, illustrates the moral idea that a person, motivated by nothing but love for another, can possess a willingness to give in a self-denying way which necessitates that the reader consider that wealth be m... [tags: The Gift of the Magi]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- It was one week from Della's 30th birthday and Jim didn't have enough money to buy her a present. "Well," Jim thought, “if I don't have a watch then why should I have a chain for one?” So, he sold his watch chain in order to have money for Della's present. “Now, what do I buy Della?” he asked himself. “I think I'll go to the flea market and look for something, because one little rusty old chain won't buy me very much,” Jim stated as he started riding his bicycle to the market. At the market Jim found many things, some very pretty and expensive, some very pretty and cheap, and some just plain ugly things that had been there awhile and always would be until they were finally thrown a... [tags: The Gift Of The Magi]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- One dollar and eighty seven cents.That was all.Three times Della counted it.One dollar and eighty seven cents and the next day was Christmas.In the story “The Gift Of The Magi” the main character Della cuts her hair,which is her prized possesion to buy a tab chain for her husband.Jim’s pocket watch.In this story the author shows us how people sometimes sacrifice for love.Unfortunetely Jim sells his watch to buy Della a set of combs for her hair. In the story the main literary element is theme,which is impacted by character, conflict,irony,setting point of view,symbolism,tone and mood.The theme in this story is love is a better gift than any item.The setting of the story impacts the theme b... [tags: Love, English-language films, Gift]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- “Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are the wisest.”(Henry 108). This is one of the quotes from O. Henry’s short story, “The Gift of the Magi.” “The Gift of the Magi,” by O. Henry, is short about two adults making a sacrifice for one another. “The Gift of the Magi,” by O. Henry, is about sacrificing something for someone else which is revealed by the author’s irony, descriptive language, and dialogue. In this story, “The Gift of the Magi,” the author uses different situations throughout the story to show irony.... [tags: Fiction, Sacrifice, Gift, GiFT]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- “The Magi as you know, were wise men-wonderfully wise men who brought gifts to the newborn Christ-child, their gifts were doubtless wise ones.” Mr. and Mrs. Dilligan (Della and Jim) ended up giving each other very meaningful and wise. Mr. and Mrs. Dillingham Young were poor and had little money to buy each other a gift for Christmas, Which was tomorrow. The couple was wise enough to come up with a way to give each other a gift. In O’ Henry’s “The Gift of the Magi” the theme of the story is that a gift must come from the heart to be meaningful, the couple shows that in view of the fact that they both are poor but figures out a way to give each other a gift, Both sacrificed something that wa... [tags: Gift, Hairstyle, Santa Claus, GiFT, Debut albums]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Love is just a word, but it is one that brings its own definition. This meaning is conveyed in the two short stories, “The Gift of the Magi,” and “The Ring” when the characters have their way of demonstrating their love towards one another. In “The Gift of the Magi,” Della and Jim reveal their meaning of love by showing their willingness to sacrifice for one another. In “The Ring,” Sigismund expresses his love towards Lovisa which is based on her satisfaction. To note the similarities and dissimilarities between “The Gift of the Magi,” and “The Ring,” demonstrates that love has its controversy based on each of the stories concepts about what love is and on seeing the reality of what love mea... [tags: Love, English-language films, Meaning of life]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- Many married couples have different views on their relationships. Some married couples are really happy together forever. For others couples, they may have been happy however; now they are miserable in that relationship. In both stories each marriage shows how different they are from each other. In “ The Gift of the Magi”, O. Henry writes about how a happy couple sacrifice for one another to get each other the perfect gift. While in the “The Story of an Hour” Kate Chopin describes a relationship that is not as pleasant as everybody thinks it is.... [tags: Marriage, Love, Wife, Husband]
717 words (2 pages)
- Love requires sacrifices to maintain the love for one another. You’ll do anything for the one you love. Your world should revolve around them because that’s how important they should be to you. In the story The Gift of the Magi, the couple made sacrifices for each other in the name of love, just as couples still do in real life in today’s day and age. In the story The Gift of the Magi, Della and Jim made sacrifices for each other, because of the love they had for each other. Della made the sacrifice of cutting off her precious hair that she cared so dearly for, to buy her beloved husband a platinum fob chain for his wrist watch.... [tags: Love, Family, Ford Mustang, Shelby Mustang]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- The Gift of the Magi 1. When and where was the story written or told. What historical, social, or cultural background might be needed to understand or explain what the story is about. The story was obviously told in either the early 1900’s or mid to late 1800’s. It seemed to take place in a urban colonial English speaking area, probably in America or Britain. A way to tell that the story took place in the past, was the value of money. In the story the value of money was quite high, with $21 being able to buy a good quality chain for a watch.... [tags: Conflict, Fiction, Grammatical person, Narrative]
1451 words (4.1 pages)
- Love is not a word that anybody can just throw around and say it without actually meaning it. In the story “The Gift Of The Magi” by O. Henry he talked about the sacrifices the two characters made for eachother and their happiness for each other was all that mattered. The story also expressed what love may truley of ment between two people. There are many things people can love but sometimes love can also hurt, lose, or drive away people and objects that have special meaning to you in some way or another.When people fall in love their has to be a strong connection between the two and both will have to know what kind of sacrifices both will have to make for each other.... [tags: Love, Interpersonal relationship, Sacrifice]
1118 words (3.2 pages)