As a teenager, most of them often talk about getting into a fraternity or a sorority. In movies and maybe even someone you know might have a friend in a fraternity or sorority, and they make everything seem like fun, but the worse part of trying to get into these groups is the pledging. Everyone must pledge to officially be one of the groups they are trying to join, and often you will get hazed. What is hazing? Hazing is when a ritual of some type that requires individuals to participate in activities that make you stress physically and psychologically. (Hazing).
Hazing has been around for centuries, but it has been getting worse every year. Never think that someone is not at risk for hazing, everyone can become victim to this act. Hazing does not only occur in colleges, bu...
... middle of paper ...
...t ~ Http://www.gannett.cornell.edu/hazing/issues/research.cfm. Hazing.Cornell.EDU, n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.
Hank ~ "Hazingdeaths." Hazingdeaths. N.p., 22 Dec. 2013. Web. 1 Jan. 2014.
Hazing ~ Http://www.insidehazing.com/definitions.php.
Inside Hazing, n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.
Laws ~ Http://www.stophazing.org/laws.html. StopHazing, n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.
Plano ~ "Five Plano High Students Charged Over Possible Hazing Incidents" (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/28/five-plano-high-students-charged-over-possible-hazing-incidents/). Chicago. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
Rookie ~ Rookie NFL Player Refuses To Be Hazed. News One, 26 July 2010. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
Sacred ~ Anti-Hazing Information. Sacred HEart University, 26 July 2010. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
Statistics ~ Http://www.insidehazing.com/statistics_25_college.php. Inside Hazing, n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Purpose As soon as students graduate high school they are faced with choices that they must make that will have an everlasting effect on the rest of their lives. They must first make one of the hardest decisions on whether or not to pursue higher education or go directly into the workforce. At this point in their lives they are regarded as adults and must make adult decisions, and whatever they decide they will only lead to more choices. Now many of these new adults will decide to go away to college to get an education.... [tags: Fraternity Life]
2758 words (7.9 pages)
- Socialization is the informal and subtle process through which we learn the norms, roles, values, and expectations of our society. (L. Berger and Luckman 2002) Gender is a specific set of behaviours that is produced in specific social situations, and gender socialization, in particular, pays specific attention to what is expected of us as women and men, and this process starts from childhood onwards. Modern-day sororities –social organizations that have historically existed for voluntary or charitable activities-- create a world where college women learn what it is to be “a woman” in society.... [tags: Gender role, Gender, Transgender, Masculinity]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- Sorority House Ghost Story I searched until I heard a story that gave me the chills. It comes from right around the block from where I live on campus, at one of the sorority houses at the University of Maryland. I collected this story the weekend of April 2nd, at my fraternity house. I asked my friend, a junior from Pikesville, if she knows any ghost stories. Her face lit up as if she was dying to tell me this story since the first time we ever met. She asked “you never heard the story of the ghost in the sorority house?” I replied no.... [tags: Urban Legend]
715 words (2 pages)
- Getting Serious About Eradicating Binge Drinking is an informative article by Henry Wechsler. Wechsler has worked with the College Alcohol study since its creation in 1992, and he also lectures at the School of Public Health at Harvard. In his article, Weschler discusses the prominent trend of binge drinking on college campuses and how to solve the widespread problem. Binge drinking is a term used to describe the act drinking alcoholic beverages with the intention of becoming intoxicated over a short period of time.... [tags: Drinking culture, Alcoholism]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- Greek organizations, such as, fraternities and sororities have been a part of the college experience for centuries. We pride ourselves in brotherly and sisterly love, academic success, and helping others. There are countless stereotypes and myths that surround the “Greek life” name. Just some myths include: all Greeks haze their members, they only care about physical looks not personalities, and they go to college just to party and get drunk. Kappa Delta Sorority upholds none of these stereotypes.... [tags: Greek organiztions]
832 words (2.4 pages)
- Day in and day out we hear about high school and college students wanting to pursue a sorority and/or a fraternity based on the stereotypes these organizations uphold, well I chose to differ. I told myself if I ever decided to become a member of a sorority it would be based solely on their ethical standards, history, and values they are founded upon. Alpha Kappa Alpha, Incorporated consists of ladies of distinction and exemplary character who excel in scholarship, leadership, and service, which are qualities I have chosen to uphold.... [tags: Alpha Kappa Alpha]
513 words (1.5 pages)
- Instead of enlisting I went to a Christian fraternity in Pennsylvania. I still have a picture that shows me among my brothers. We were all the same height, and had the same uniform. I joined the Fraternity in 2005 and returned in 2007. By the time I returned home all the greetings of heroes had finished. I came home much too late. So many boys from my town went to war an came back to a welcome that was carefully arranged. I know people thought it was ridiculous that I had returned so much later than the others.... [tags: dialogue, mother, father, brothers]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- The Tragedy of Fraternity Hazing Hazing (subjecting newcomers to abusive or humiliating tricks and ridicule) has always been seen as a secretive campus activity when it comes to fraternities and pledging. As a result, Dr. Mark Taff resorted in his article that, "..a series of 168 cases of injuries and deaths related to fraternity hazing activities...[occurred] in the United States between 1923 and 1982" (2113). Young college men are being hospitalized and even worse, dying, just for a couple of friends that give them a sense of belonging.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Argument]
2113 words (6 pages)
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher Whether or not we are aware of it, each of us is faced with an abundance of conflict each and every day. From the division of chores within a household, to asking one’s boss for a raise, we’ve all learned the basic skills of negotiation. A national bestseller, Getting to Yes, introduces the method of principled negotiation, a form of alternative dispute resolutions as opposed to the common method of positional bargaining. Within the book, four basic elements of principled negotiation are stressed; separate the people from the problem, focus on interests instead of positions, invest options for mutual gain, and insist on using objective criteria.... [tags: Negotiation Getting Yes Roger Fisher Essays]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Fraternity Hazing When most people hear the term "hazing" it brings up images of fraternities, or they just don’t know what it is. In even though hazing occurs in many places including fraternities and sororities, the military, athletic teams and student organizations (marching bands) at both the high school and collegiate levels. Many believe that hazing in fraternities and in general are nothing more than silly tricks and harmless pranks like those from the 1980s hit comedy Animal House. The realities of hazing are severely different than the witty images many people associate with them.... [tags: Fraternities Greek Life College Essays]
1002 words (2.9 pages)