There are many things in life that can help get a point across, but nothing can quite compare to the way art does. Art can display so many emotions, stories, and an overall feelings with nothing but a simple picture. George Lopez discusses art and how it imitates real life. This statement can sometimes be true, to a certain extent. Through art, there are so many expressions and feelings to be heard. Art can say a lot without saying anything at all. Typically, art likes to lean toward an extreme for every genre. Like discussed in the documentary “George Lopez: Brown is the New Green”, George Lopez brings up the point that he believes the establishment should change its marketing technique toward Latinos, so that it has a more of a realistic viewpoint. One of the professional advertisers, says “we will see which is still around in the coming years”, suggesting that his viewpoint and the new cultural changes are merely a fad and there is no need to change his marketing approach. His faith in the formula is a representation of the industry and what has always worked in the past. Only very few networks, even try to address the mostly untapped market. Although it would be ideal to appeal to one culture, it can be a difficult change. But, there is a shift in the consumption of culture of the Hispanic Americans, most of which consume entertainment from both cultures. This can be shown in the immense popularity and longevity of shows such as: George Lopez and the reboot of the Hispanic classic “Betty la fea” (Ugly Betty). Both of these shows display Hispanic heritage and the average daily life within society.
We often view comedies as something that can be humorous and entertaining but do not think about the offensive behavior that can al...
... middle of paper ...
...g their ways to try to fit into society better. The documentary is full of evidence that supports this conclusion as each of them tell stories about how they consume culture from English and Spanish networks. With shows available in different languages it allows people from different backgrounds to try to learn and adapt to what they are experiencing. Diversity brings people together and makes it an easier transition to new situations. Now more networks are starting to recognize this with the implementation of more Hispanic oriented entertainment and entertainers becoming more prevalent in that culture. Even though we are coming together and trying to connect all of the pieces, there is still a focus on individuality and having a cultural identity. By this, people still prefer to be labeled as their family’s culture and the country of which they have originated from.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- George Lopez was born on April 23rd in the year of 1961 in the Mission, Hills of Los Angeles, California. His father who was Anataso was a migrant worker who left his wife, Frieda for a different lifestyle. After Lopez was born, Frieda and George Moved in with his mom’s parents who tried to raise Lopez In her hometown of California. When George was a young kid his mother explained to him that his father had died. Even though, the real truth was that he was in fact alive but wanted nothing to do with his son who he had with his ex-wife.... [tags: Comedy, Stand-up comedy, George Lopez]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- The Silent Nature of Barry Lopez In southern California, below Interstate 8 and west along the Mexican border, in the middle of the desert just beyond an arroyo, rests an ancient intaglio, a horse carved out of stone ("Horse" 401). If by chance you were to come across such a natural relic, perhaps you would first take a picture. Perhaps you would initially approach to get a closer look. Perhaps you would immediately run your fingers over the coarse, intricate indentations of the nose, the ears, the hooves.... [tags: Barry Lopez Essays]
2462 words (7 pages)
- The television show, George Lopez, is a series in which Latinos make up the entire cast of the family. It takes place in the present day Los Angeles and focuses on a family and their daily lifestyle. This is one of two television shows that are directed to the English speaking population that has the Latino minority as the main ethnicity of the cast. Only 4% of Hispanics make up the cast of prime-time television shows, a miniscule amount considering that Hispanic-Americans are the largest minority group in the US.... [tags: Media Television TV]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Green Is The New Black The fashion industry is one of the most influential in the world. A global powerhouse made up of factories, skilled laborers, and insanely fast production rates generates approximately $2,560 trillion dollars per year, as of 2010 (Breyer). An industry as dominant as this has many major impacts on society. The bible-like publication of fashion, Vogue, published an article in 1990 titled, “The Green Movement in the Fashion World”, about the then upcoming trend in fashion, sustainability ("Eco-Friendly Concepts and Ethical Movements in the Fashion Industry" 2).... [tags: Fashion, Fashion week, New York City]
1496 words (4.3 pages)
- Inspiring the Latino Community When we have dreams we do everything possible to achieve them. We are sometimes faced with barriers that prevent, or make it harder for us to accomplish our goals. Latinos in the United States work hard to give their families a better life. Latinos all have faced many challenging circumstances in order to accomplish their dreams. Latinos look up to other Latinos and when they see other Latinos that have succeeded then they feel that they too can succeed in whatever they put their mind to.... [tags: george lopez, mexican-american]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- Green IT is a trending topic within Information Technology that when properly leveraged can help an organization to save money, improve efficiency, and reduce its environmental footprint. TABLE OF CONTENTS: ICT and Environment......................................................................................................3 Introduction........................................................................................................3 Overview of Green IT........................................................................................................................4 Importance of Green IT....................................................................................... [tags: Trends in Green IT]
2886 words (8.2 pages)
- U.S. v. Lopez 514 U.S. 549 (1995), Vote of 5 to 4, Rehnquist for the court. Congress in 1990 enacted the Gun-Free School Zone Act, making it a federal offence to possess a firearm in a school zone. Congress relied on the authority of the Commerce Clause of the Constitution to justify passage of legislation as a way of stemming the rising tide of gun related incidents in public schools. In 1992 Alfonso Lopez, Jr. was a senior at Edison High School in San Antonio, Texas. Acting on an anonymous tip, school authorities confronted Lopez and discovered that he was carrying a .38 caliber handgun and five bullets.... [tags: essays research papers]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- Altruism can be defined as ‘unselfishness.’(Merriam-Webster, 2010) If one is said to be carrying out an act of ‘altruistic’ merit, this act could be defined variously as an act of ‘self-sacrifice’ or ‘philanthropy.’ In other words, to act in an altruistic fashion is to prioritise the needs of others above and beyond the needs of the self; to act in a way that is not motivated at all by self-seeking interests. In their illuminating article, ‘STATUS, REPUTATION, AND ALTRUISM: Going Green to Be Seen:Status, Reputation, and Conspicuous Conservation,’ Vladas Griskevicius of the University of Minnesota, Joshua M.... [tags: Green Marketing Essays]
2588 words (7.4 pages)
- Jennifer Lopez was born in the Bronx, New York on July 24, 1970. She was born in the United States to Puerto Rican Parents, Jennifer considers herself to be a Puerto Rican and she is very proud of her Hispanic heritage and culture. Her father is David Lopez, a computer specialist, and her mother Guadalupe Lopez, a Kindergarten teacher. Her parents recognized Jennifer’s talent and enthusiasm for performing and at the age of five the enrolled her in dance classes. Her mother said “Jennifer always loved to sing, but she was also a great actress and knew that she would have a bright future ahead of her.” With the support of her parents Jennifer grew up to be a very sensible girl, who is still... [tags: essays research papers]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Jennifer Lopez Jennifer Lynn Lopez was born July 24, 1970 in Castle Hill, Bronx. She is the daughter of Guadalupe and David Lopez. Lopez has been able overcome the Spanish stereotypes becoming the highest paid Latin woman in the world. Every time she appears on magazine covers, presents on the Oscars, makes movies and music she is breaking down barriers and showing that every woman, no matter what race, can do this. The place where Jennifer grow up was a Spanish area, with people, food, and music Her grandparents taught her all about her roots.... [tags: Art]
1384 words (4 pages)