Ethiopia’s history spans 2,000 years, during which the Ethiopian Orthodox Church held the kingdom’s Christianity secure against Islamic holy wars; however, hunger and war still plague this nation. Emperor Haile Selassie the last of the monarchs was dethroned in 1974, all of whom avoided European colonialism, except for Italian occupation from 1936 to 1941. (Ethiopia Facts, Ethiopia Flag -- National...
... middle of paper ...
...clopedia , 2013)
Today, Ethiopia has a population of about 70 million people with religion a constant and central feature of their society. Rich traditions and festivals constitute an important part of Ethiopian natural life making Ethiopia a great antiquity.
Ethiopia - New World Encyclopedia . (2013, October 7). Retrieved from newworldencyclopedia.com: http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Ethiopia
Ethiopia Facts, Ethiopia Flag -- National Geographic. (1996-2014). Retrieved from National Geographic.com: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/countries/ethiopia-facts/
infoplease Pearson Education. (2000-2014). Retrieved from infoplease.com: http://www.infoplease.com/country/ethiopia.html
Releasing children from poverty Compassion in Jesus' name. (2014). Retrieved from www.compassion.com: http://www.compassion.com/about/where/ethiopia.htm
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ethiopia It stands as one of the oldest nations of the world, dating back to 1000 BC when the Queen of Sheba visited King Solomon. Ethiopia was a nation with promise, a nation with riches and the greatest Ivory market as far as the eye can see. So one would assume that Ethiopia is the place to live. Well if you have been to Ethiopia you would see this is not the case. Ethiopia is a povershed country where people are fighting to live everyday. There economy is nearly in ruins and there main export, is almost stolen from them.... [tags: Economy Geography Ethiopia Essays]
1936 words (5.5 pages)
- Ethiopia is located in the Eastern region of Africa. According to the Embassy of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ethiopia lies between the geographical coordinates of 3’ and 14. 8’ latitude and 33’and 48’ longitude. Ethiopia encompasses a majority of the area known as the Horn of Africa. The CIA World Factbook states that Ethiopia is approximately 1,104,300 square kilometers (686,180 miles). To give a better perspective of the sheer size of this country, it is about twice the size of the state of Texas.... [tags: Country, Africa, Geography]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Afghanistan is a country that is mysterious to many outsiders. From the harsh landscape to the traditional social norms shared by its people, Afghanistan continues to mystify the world. The country’s unique location has influenced its history and people, and that of the nations and armies that have tried to conquer it. Like all nations, Afghanistan’s geography, infrastructure, history and people contribute to the overall culture of the country. The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is located in southern Asia.... [tags: islamic republic, borders]
1547 words (4.4 pages)
- On April 8, 1941, the former Italian colony of Eritrea was placed under the British Military Administration (BMA) pending an international decision of its fate as an independent nation. Ethiopia laid claim to Eritrea and the United Nations passed a motion to federate Eritrea with imperial Ethiopia in 1952. However, the UN mandated that Eritrea was to remain as a semiautonomous, self-governing territory with legislative, executive, and judicial powers over its own domestic affairs. This was to last ten years, at which time Eritrea would become liberated.... [tags: Ethiopia and Sudan]
2743 words (7.8 pages)
- TOPIC: Ethiopia Introduction paragraphs The history of Ethiopia’s development. Ethiopia brief history in the colonial era. Body paragraphs 1. First paragraph Economic development since 2000 till present and agriculture as the major contributor Growth theory, Examples of theories and strategies; growth model, structural model 2. Next paragraph Factors that affect development as a general process in Ethiopia, Strategies implemented by the government and policies on the economic development and economic growth challenges.... [tags: Ethiopia Research paper]
2428 words (6.9 pages)
- Somalia, officially the Federal Republic of Somalia, is a country in Eastern Africa that borders the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean and neighbors Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti. For years, Somalia has been plagued with poverty, famine, violence, and insurgency within its borders. As this country moves forward, its foreign relations, security, and economic growth will play key factors in its future. In order for these factors to flourish, the current threats to the country must be eliminated, or at a minimum, suppressed.... [tags: gulf of aden, Al-Qaeda]
1614 words (4.6 pages)
- Over thousands of year’s people of various nations have become part of the Philippines and have added to its rich heritage. It is now one of the most highly populated countries in the world. The Republic of the Philippines is a democratic island nation made up of over 7,000 islands with over 80 million people. Geography and climate play a large part in how people live on the island. It is a country with an interesting cultural background. It is a culture influenced by many diverse ethnic groups, who have settled on the island and now call it home.... [tags: ethnic, family, climate]
2650 words (7.6 pages)
- EPRDF (Ethiopian People Revolutionary Democratic Front) has intimidated and suppressed voter in order to win the 2010 Ethiopian Parliamentary Election. The Meles Zenawi administration has cracked down opposition party and dismantled people who are supporters of the opposition parties. Many national and international human rights activists criticized the ruling party. In many parts of Ethiopian rural areas, the ruling party EPRDF deployed many of its supporters and cadres to put pressure on local villagers and opposition members.... [tags: Ethiopian People Revolutionary Democratic Front]
2346 words (6.7 pages)
- There is a country in the Pacific Rim and that country is Japan. Throughout this paper we will explore the topics of Japan’s history, government, economy, geography and topography, and Japans culture and customs. As we learn and explore these topics I leave this note fore the reader, “I hope I get a good score on this paper” (Sanne, page 1). Please enjoy the essay into which I poured my blood, tears, and valuable time. First off let me take back through time. Watch your step as you now proceed to the earliest time in Japan’s history, the Jomon era.... [tags: geography, Japan, ]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- Dominican Republic Geography The Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. It is the second largest of the Greater Antilles. The country is approximately 18,712 square miles, or twice the size of the state of New Hampshire, occupying the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola (Goodwin, p.116). Beata Island off the southwestern coast and Saona Island to the southeast are also part of the Dominican Republic. Along Haiti to the west and the Caribbean Sea to the south and east, the island has an Atlantic shore to the north.... [tags: History Geography Dominical Republic Essays]
532 words (1.5 pages)