Some risk from GMO, are environmental hazards, uncontrolled biological pollution, and health risk, etc. GMO is affecting some of the insects like the monarch butterflies and bees, from monarchs suffering to bees vanishing, and some of them occur to GMO use. Experts believed that the dramatic decreasing populations of bees both in the United States and abroad are directly related to genetically modified plants and their pollen too.
Genetically Modified organisms are organisms that had its DNA altered in some way through genetic engineering. In a reading “Hawaii is at the Forefront of Genetically Modified Crops”, by H. Sterling Burnett, who is a senior fellow from the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA) that he wrote about genetically modifying papaya, to resistance to the papaya ring spot virus.
The negative impact about genetically modified foods is that about seventy percent of the food package in a grocery store is mostly genetically modified foods. GMO also causes environmental damages, since the soil have GMO then growing plants normally it won’t help support themselves because the environment is already damaged from GMO. Another negative impact is that some genetically modified food causes some allergic reactions for some people, so now they can’t eat some of the foods because mostly all the foods ar...
... middle of paper ...
...has to look through everything to make sure it doesn’t have any GMO chemicals in them, or she could get an allergic reaction and maybe die.
In conclusion, I think from everything I researched about I believe my message would be for this is that no matter how bad GMO is it still helps us with our food, but we need to find a different way to grow foods without GMO before it starts killing every thing and we will have nothing and soon we will parish. Another thing is that I want to try not to eat GMO crops and try to grow my own foods. Lastly, I learned that genetically modified organisms does affect our environment and is killing them.
1. Cummins Ronnie, and Paul Katherine, “GMOs are killing the Bees, Butterflies, Birds, and More”, Monday February 17, 2014.
2. Lallanilla, Marc, “GMOs Facts about Genetically Modified Food”, November 01, 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Animals that have been genetically modified have adopted the name “pharm” animals. It is a mix between the word pharmaceutical and farm, and shows what the animals are used for. Such as the goat that was mentioned earlier, there are several other animals that are considered “pharm” animals. Many reporters, critics, and researchers alike all use this term to describe their dislike for the way that these animals are being used. “It is a mechanistic use of animals that seems to perpetuate the notion of their being merely tools for human use rather than sentient creatures.” A reporter from the Humane Society of the United States says in its position paper on the use of GM animals (Pollack).... [tags: pharm animals, biotechnology, gmo]
1407 words (4 pages)
- GMO stands for genetically modified organism; Today, Health and local.com explain that a genetically engineered food is a plant or meat product that has had its DNA artificially altered in a laboratory by genes from other plants, animals, viruses, or bacteria, in order for the plant/meat product to take on the positive qualities of the added DNA. This process produces a new plant that can be more resistant to pests, able to grow in harsh weather conditions, or contain an improved nutritional profile (Today Health).... [tags: gmo, biotechnology, food supply]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- The social issue I have chosen to write about is genetically modified organisms (GMO’s). This social issue has a lot of controversy. I had little knowledge of this issue until recently. Last September when by brother was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia is when this social issue became important in my lifestyle. I was unware of the hazards of consuming genetically modified foods. To first understand the social issue of GMO’s we must first understand what GMO’s are. “Genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, are foods that have been altered to produce a desired effect meant to benefit people in some way.” (Asaff, 2016).... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Introduction Recently, there has been a huge uprise in reports from all over the world of new diseases that have affected much of the population today. Diseases such as obesity, Alzheimer’s, Celiac Disease, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and so much more have been on the rise. Researchers have suspected the culprit of these diseases to be our food. Along with the diseases, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) has also been on the rise. The more poor food we eat, the greater the potential harm to our health.... [tags: Genetically Modified Organisms]
2762 words (7.9 pages)
- GMO (genetically modified organisms) What is is a GMO. A GMO is a genetically modified organism. GMO’s are good so we should modify more organisms because they are helpful and we will need them in the future. Also genetically modified organisms have a lot of benefits to the like making more with less or getting bigger food also these benefits are not just for plants but for for people bugs insects and all living organisms. But There are Also a lot of concerns for genetically modified organisms because we are making the food in a lab and not naturally growing it and also that it can cause cancer or that it can produce super weeds and many more.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- Say No To GMOs In grocery stores, there are multiple options on what type of food to buy. There are organic, locally grown, food with genetically modified organisms (GMO) in it, and GMO free. Out of these options, only one of them is actually pesticide and chemical free. This option would be organic foods. Because of the growing need for cheaper, more affordable food scientists have turned to growing fruits and vegetables that require less attention, grow faster, and are cheaper to grow. In the process of trying to create plants like this, scientists turned to using chemicals and altering the DNA in plants.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- Genetic Modified Organism (GMO) is a standout amongst the most critical issues from around the globe. “According to the World Health Organization, Genetically Modified Organisms(GMOs) are "organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in such a way that does not occur naturally."This technology is also referred to as "genetic engineering", "biotechnology" or "recombinant DNA technology" and consists of randomly inserting genetic fragments of DNA from one organism to another, usually from a different species.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
2176 words (6.2 pages)
- Are GMO 's (Genetically Modified Organisms) truly safe or are they harmful to people 's health. The GMO debate has gone on for quite some time. GMO 's is done by splicing genetic material from one organism and transferring it to the mother. The altered DNA imbues the organism with a useful trait. Such as more vitamin or proteins or even making crops resistant to pest, diseases and herbicides. Genetically modifying food must stop before more harmful risks arise. GMO 's are an unsafe risk, they have several drawbacks, and GMO Companies are attacking scientists who disputes the safety in them.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- What are Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO’s. According to Resposibletechnology.org, GMO’s is the “result of a laboratory process where genes from the DNA of one species are extracted and artificially forced into the genes of an unrelated plant or animal. The foreign genes may come from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals or even humans.” GMO’s are inserted to our food to make them grow faster, either make new species containing more nutrients, resist insects or require less water so it grows in drought stricken areas.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- The term is heard on TV and in conversation, but what is a Genetically Modified Organism or GMO. A GMO is an organism plant that’s genes have been changed in a controlled way in order to produce an organism with specific characteristics. GMOs are organisms whose genetic makeup has been modified using recombinant DNA (gene splicing), gene modification and transgenic technology. GMO’s creates plants, animal, bacterial and viral genes that are not created by nature or natural cross breeding. Most of the buzz about GMOs come from the use of them in plants that are consumed by the general population.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1344 words (3.8 pages)