The dialogue about human sexuality is not possible without first addressing the biological perspective, in particular, hormones (Strong, DeVault, & Sayad, 1996). Hormones may be viewed as one of the major "driving forces" of sexual behavior. Over the past several years, there has been much research done around the examination of the various roles th...
... middle of paper ...
..."The Origins Of Human Sexuality: Procreation Or
Recreation?." Reproductive Biomedicine Online (Reproductive Healthcare Limited)
18.S1 (2009): 50-59. Academic Search Premier. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
Brooks, Rob. "New Ideas About the Evolution of Same-Sex Attraction." The Huffington Post.
TheHuffingtonPost.com, 14 Dec. 2012. Web. 13 Apr. 2014.
Charlesworth, Brian. "Perspectives Anecdotal, Historical and Critical Commentaries on
Genetics Darwin and Genetics." Genetics. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2014.
Spinelli, Ernesto. "Being Sexual: Human Sexuality Revisited." Existential Analysis: Journal Of
The Society For Existential Analysis 24.2 (2013): 297-317. Academic Search
Premier. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
"Study Finds Epigenetics, Not Genetics, Underlies Homosexuality." Study Finds Epigenetics,
Not Genetics, Underlies Homosexuality. N.p., 11 Dec. 2012. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This is a definition of from someone who has studied human sexuality ”human sexuality is the way in which we experience and express ourselves as sexual beings (Rathus et al., 1993). There are many factors that help develop our sexuality, arguably one of the most important, is our actual gender. Whether, I am a male or female will likely have a major influence on the development of my individual sexuality. Furthermore, sexuality is an integral part of our personalities whether we are aware of it or not.” Ludwin Molina.... [tags: Sexuality, gender, sociology,]
1237 words (3.5 pages)
- Since the beginning of scientific research, the information discovered has led to many technological breakthroughs and advancements at a rapid pace. The velocity of the incoming discoveries may allow one to overlook the powerful emphasis we as humans hold over human life itself. While human research has been developing an understanding of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) since Friedrich Miescher isolated the double-helix shaped molecule, efforts in recent decades to map the human genome have instigated a great amount of opportunity to the potential manipulation of the basic elements of life.... [tags: ethical issues, scientific research]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- The 19th-Century was a period in which the expression of sexuality and sexual compulsion was firmly repressed. Charles E. Rosenberg explores the typical behaviors of the sexes, and how they related to the expression, or repression, of sexuality in “Sexuality, Class and Role in 19th-Century America.” Medical and biological literature tended to adopt very sex-negative attitudes, condemning sexual desires and activity. This literature was often ambivalent and self-contradicting. Initially, people viewed sex as a normal human behavior: they believed sexual excess was bad, but thought it was natural and necessary after puberty because horniness left unsatisfied and untreated could cause disease.... [tags: Sexual intercourse, Human sexuality, Gender, Sex]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- Human sexuality There is so much more to gender than just male or and female. There are children who are born with different reproductive system with the opposite organ on the outside. DNA is a very complicated piece of science when it comes to determining the gender and sex of a child. The American legal system does not have any control over what is a child 's gender or sex when the child is born or even before it’s born. Therefore it shouldn 't become a problem when the child wants his or her gender or sex.... [tags: Gender, Transgender, Male, Sexual intercourse]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Technological breakthroughs and advancements have occurred so rapidly since the dawn of the information age, that one often overlooks the great power humanity holds over the building blocks of life itself. While our understanding and mapping of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequences has been slow coming since Friedrich Miescher’s isolation of the double-helix shaped molecule, efforts in recent decades to map the human genome have opened many doors to the potential manipulation of life’s basic elements.... [tags: human genome, human genetics, cloning]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- In 1991, Simon LeVay, a neurobiologist at the Salk Institute, found that INAH-3, an area in the anterior hypothalamus, was smaller in gay men, being about the size of a woman’s (Abrams). "This suggests that there 's something going on during development that influences sexuality and the brain," LeVay said. "It points more persuasively to some early biological difference" (Stein). Homosexual men also appear to have female-like sex-dimorphic shape in the SCN structure of the brain and the AC is larger in homosexual men and heterosexual women than heterosexual men (Gladue).... [tags: Sexual orientation, Homosexuality, Heterosexuality]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Through many centuries of passionate research and dedication on behalf of scientists worldwide, the general consensus among them is that human’s and ape’s are overwhelmingly similar. Years of research, comparison and evaluation have allowed for scientists and science enthusiasts to draw conclusions about not only the similarities between human’s and chimps, but how those similarities translate to similarities and differences between human’s and their behavior. Despite valid and accurate conclusions being drawn, Marks notes significant examples of scientists incorrectly using apes to draw conclusions between human behavior and differences overall, as seen in his noted examples regarding diffe... [tags: Brain, Human, Scientific method, Chimpanzee]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- ... An individual is not born with manners. This is a learnt skill, it is taught by the young child’s parents. This can be seen as a behavioural aspect to the child’s being and in essence their genetic determinism. Compassion and personality are part of our genetic make-up as genes contain the DNA code for certain personality traits that will be inherited. This being said, there is not a specific gene for a specific trait. Traits are inherited although without the environmental influence they are not expressed in an individual’s phenotype.... [tags: behavior, morality, personality]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- Today I was excited to begin this course. I knew some of the things I thought I knew about human sexuality would be enhanced or challenged during this class. In the beginning of class we did our first activity, which consisted with different groups coming up with their definition of human sexuality. I have always viewed human sexuality as what you view your gender as, who you are sexual attracted to, and what you view your sexual orientation as. This activity enlighten me by showing me that there can be many definitions of human sexuality.... [tags: Human sexuality, Sexual intercourse]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Being human, we possess a quality that is unlikely to be found in other known organisms. Since perhaps the dawn of existence, the human psyche has strived to explain the origins of this quality and what it reveals about man’s conception. The ancient Greeks surmised that the Titan god Prometheus sculpted humans in the image of the gods from the mud of the earth. The ancient Egyptians posited that humans came into being from their sun god Ra’s tears. Now in modern times, scientists believe the key to our origins lies within our closest relative, Pan troglodytes, commonly known as the chimpanzee.... [tags: Genetics]
2014 words (5.8 pages)
- The Effects on theThe Use of Water for the Production of Ethanol
- Transracial Adoption: It's Multi-Categorical Controversies in Society
- The Evolution of Anglicanism
- Multinational Corporations, Their Challenges and Successes
- Overview of Different Methods of Instruction
- Decline in Water Supply in India