In addition throughout history there has been controversy issue dealing with gender issues between males and females. And the topic of discussion is men being treated better than women. An example of this better treatment: A man goes into a certain job, such as politics, and treated with respect. However, if a woman goes into the same job, and be treated with less respect and as if she didn 't know what she was doing. Ideally, being a male in today’s society, of course I do not received this discrimination for my gender. However, I can understand the issues with women wanting to be treated equal.
Between the three theoretical perspectives: conflict theory, symbol theory, and function theory; I relate with the conflict theory. The conflict theory explains the social division amongst our society, and amongst our society we have the higher class and lower class. Relatively, social division originated for both groups to create automatic conflict of interest. Because of the conflict theory wouldn’t the simplest thing to do is rise workers- consciousness and awareness of different of oppression. According to the conflict theory those with more resources exercise negative power by the use of power struggle results. Ultimately power struggles can be inv...
... middle of paper ...
...ople with respect, and start to plan for my future. The choice I made for my future was easy to me at the time, I’ve decided to go to college, and go into the military afterwards. The final year of High School, I’ve applied to three colleges and got accepted to all three.
Ever heard the phrase “It’s not what you know, but who you know” well “The Citadel” is a college that required someone like me to gain network skills. I joined “The Citadel” to get a contract to become an officer in the military, but I never got the contract. Instead, I received a lot of unfair treatment for being the color I am, and then I realized things actually happen for reasons, plans sometimes don’t happen, and I could not predict the unpredictable. I learned from my previous mistakes, and knew next time when I get approached with an obstacle; I would strive harder and be able to conquer.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the year 2006, at an American army base found near Baghdad called ‘Camp Victory’, several American female soldiers were found dead due to dehydration. They died not because they had no access to liquids, but because they did not go to their barracks to drink water in fear of being raped by their fellow soldiers. The army responded to the dehydration case in Camp Victory promptly, however it was not the kind of response that many were hoping for (Tobey 16). Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, a former senior military commander in Iraq, said in an interview that “The women asked to be here, so now let them take what comes with the territory.” (Tobey 16) This type of treatment is one that Americ... [tags: Gender Issues]
2673 words (7.6 pages)
- Statement of intent: I am writing a persuasive speech on a Gender issue and the problems associated with them for young audience especially young males to persuade them to agree with my opinion on gender issues Am I unlucky?... Why. Because I am a girl. Because still in this modern world gender issues do exist, they are deeply engrained, they are currently unfair, and the people trying to make them fairer by repressing women backwards instead of giving them the same choices that men have. Gender issues start from an early age, such as with toys and colours.... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Woman, Female]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- In relation to employment opportunities, females tend to be limited in their employment possibilities, where they are often viewed as less capable then men and often face discrimination at the workplace from their colleagues. Where, women are less likely to be employed than their male counterpart, have lower wages and aren’t likely to advance at the same rate that males do. Women are segregated into low paying female professions, like secretarial jobs, service orientated occupations or as caregivers.... [tags: Gender, Discrimination, Female, Male]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Christmas morning, 1998 I cried all morning because Santa accidently brought me the boy Telletubie. At that young age I knew that having the “boy” doll was unacceptable. Now that I’m older I reflect on times like that and wonder where these “Gender” norms aroused. Using the “Genderbread” as a template, I identify as a cisgender woman because how I express my gender, my gender identity, my birth sex, and my romantic or sexual interests align within the “norms” of a straight woman. Although I can easily pinpoint where my gender falls, it is important to reflect on how my gender expression developed.... [tags: Woman, Female, Gender, Gender role]
1494 words (4.3 pages)
- From a very young age, children are taught the basics: letters of the alphabet, standard colors on the color wheel, happy from sad, and girl from boy. Following this distinction of boy from girl, often times there are numerous socialization events which occur throughout a child 's life. Whether conscious or not, the interactions that a child has with other individuals, and even with their environment, pose novel and reinforcing indications of the idea that their sex is culturally tied to specific gender characteristics.... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Gender identity]
1396 words (4 pages)
- Gender issues have drawn attention from thespians over the past few decades with most movies revolving around this topic. Gender roles and the discrimination of women have been the main topics of concern in most movies in the recent past. This paper analyzes the movie, The Stoning of Soraya M., which revolves around a woman, who is stoned to death for allegedly being promiscuous. The movie shows women as inferior to men as illustrated by the differentials in the roles and the decision-making process.... [tags: Gender, Woman, Gender role, Man]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Earlier this year, I wrote an essay on the topic of gender scripts and concluded that there is no complete understanding of why people of different genders act the way they act, so we have to take a step back and let the other conform to their scripts. Here are my words. From my own experience, my father has been the quiet one and my mother has been the loudest one and always in control. Never has she used her power in the relationship for abuse, but it is very obvious who is in control of every situation.... [tags: Gender, Female, Woman, Male]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- As the United States moves to create equality between males and females in all aspects in life, the Army is experimenting with the option to open up all previously restricted military occupational specialties (MOS) to females. In the past three years, the Army has opened up combat MOSs to females, with infantry and Special Forces being the branches still limited. I believe that males and females have different physical make up that does not allow us to be on a comparable level, additionally society is not ready for females to be in the roles that men have predominately owned, and it is against our gender norms.... [tags: Gender, Male, Female, Sex]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- With technology rapidly changing as fast as we blink our eyes, it is important for people to learn as much as possible about the computer world if they want to maintain a decent lifestyle because the world we live in revolving around those technologies. As McKee points out, “most jobs now require intelligence and technical skill” (1). Each year, there is something either added or modified to computers, which forces people to learn computer literacy at a steady pace. While some love computers, others despise them.... [tags: Computers Electronics Learning Essays]
3066 words (8.8 pages)
- The article I chose is titled Gender Issues in the New Generation Jail, by Patrick G. Jackson, and Cindy A. Stearns. The source for this article is the Prison Journal. The article explains how men and women in the new jails have adapted. The definition of the new jail is a fifty-person pod style jail. The old jail was considered to be inhumane, disgusting, and have many blind spots. The problems in the old jails were growing year by year. The new jail comes furnished with televisions, separate showers, a phone, and other recreations.... [tags: essays research papers]
934 words (2.7 pages)