Video games improve hand-eye coordination skills. One instance where it is beneficial is during a surgery where accuracy and precision is critical. A group of researchers at the University of Rochester concluded that if laparoscopic surgeons play video games before a surgery, they will have 40 percent fewer errors (“Video Gaming”). This is just one of the reasons why some play video games, so they can save someone’s life. If a doctor uses these games to improve his success rate during a surgery, then they should play games to hone their skills. A broader way to look at hand-eye coordination skills is visual skills. The U...
... middle of paper ...
28 Mar. 2010.
Quittner, Joshua. “Are Video Games Really So Bad?" 10 May 1999. Web. 19 Jan. 2010.
Silverman, Ben. "Games are Good for You - Video Game Feature." Yahoo! Video Games –
Video Game Demos, Cheats, Reviews, Previews, and News. 26 Apr. 2007. Web. 19
"Teens, Video Games and Civics -." Pew Research Center. Web. 07 Mar. 2010.
University of Rochester. "Action Video Games Improve Vision, New Research Shows."
ScienceDaily 30 March 2009. 21 February 2010
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Are Video Games Harmful. “The 2010 average gamer spends 8 hours a week playing video games” If you ask young people what is their opinions of video games, likely you will hear that they are fun and enjoyable. On the other hand, parents describe them as the polar opposite: violent, useless and costs lots of money. As technology advances and first generation gamers ( playing in the late 1970’s) begin to pass on their “gaming gene” to the second generation of gamers, are video games really harmful.... [tags: addiction, violence, health problems]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- With the constant advancements in technology, there are several achievements that have been realized. The advancements are categorized as per the industry that they fall in. There are several advancements that have been realized and achieved in the entertainment industry. Among the achievements include the development of the video games and the role-playing games (Prix Junior, 2006). The games developed were played electronically via the manipulation of images produced by a computer program on a display.... [tags: Gaming]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Many people believe that too much time spent watching television or playing computer or video games can be detrimental to children’s development. However, video games can also be beneficial. Gaming, in moderation, helps improve cognitive skills, such as attention, vision, and multitasking. The experience of game play can be described as an activity in which the player is virtually embodied in the game world. Anyone who has experienced the world of gaming knows how the engaging experience can manifest itself with “sweaty palms and chills down the spine” (http://www.eludamos.org/index.php/eludamos/article/viewArticle/80/147) when coming face-to-face with alien creatures; or with the adrenaline... [tags: Entertainment]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Building a gaming computer may be an intimidating endeavour, but in all actuality with a little hard work anyone can be a whiz at putting together a gaming computer. Why build a custom gaming PC. Well it’ll save money, and give the builder a great experience. It’s always fun to learn how different things work. The price of a top of the line retail gaming computer runs from two thousand on up to five thousand dollars and beyond, a monitor alone could cost one thousand dollars. The two types of gaming PC builds are , the hardcore gamer build which will cost a little extra, and the casual gamer build which isn’t as expensive; moreover, the steps in building a gaming PC are: creating a budget,... [tags: Custom Gaming PC, Gaming Industry]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- The term “gamer” tends to be synonymous with “geek” in many people’s minds. They see gaming as a device that absorbs the majority of the time of the user, leaving them as mindless empty, pale husks with no ambitions other than beating that next boss or shooting the enemy in the face. However, few gamers waste their life away. On the contrary, many of these so-called geeks tend to be more social than the average person, and farther down the technological curve than most. For the truth is that gaming is a rather useful and beneficial hobby.... [tags: Gaming ]
1053 words (3 pages)
- Many believe that too much time spent watching television or playing computer or video games can be detrimental to children. However, video games may also be beneficial. Gaming, in moderation, helps improve cognitive skills, such as attention, vision, and multitasking. When playing video games, the player is virtually embodied in the game world. The experience of gaming can manifest itself with many physical attributes, such as sweaty palms, chills that run up and down the spine, or an adrenaline rush of excitement.... [tags: Entertainment]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- As soon as the video game world pressed the start button on their business, they never stopped playing. Like any video game, they hit major checkpoints and beat levels. From Pac-Man with joysticks to Angry Birds on iPads, the video game industry has a consistent history of success. Today, everyone knows someone who plays or has played a video game. New games and gaming consoles are constantly being advertised and released. They are even an entertaining method of keeping people up with the growth of technology.... [tags: Video Gaming Essays]
2764 words (7.9 pages)
- Video gaming systems have a negative influence on today’s youth because it separates individuals from reality. However, especially in the cases of teenagers and children it can be argued that this is a bad thing. By constantly cutting off from personal interactions and new experiences in favor of a technological device, a generation with sub-standard social abilities is being groomed. If the children of our world do not have to face reality by experiencing new things, making personal relationships, and problem solving, then they will never be able to function as adults.... [tags: Video Games]
2214 words (6.3 pages)
- Violence in Video Games Do video games containing violence spark people of today to commit violent acts. Violence in video games are blamed for some of todays violent crimes. Some people believe that these crimes are committed due to playing a video game. Others believe that video games are a easy excuse for the violent acts, and keep America from looking deeper into the minds of people committing these acts. Video games are also thought to be a good way to take out some hostility. In Bernard Cesarone?s piece, ?Violence in Video Games,.... [tags: Papers Violent Cause Effect Gaming Essays]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- At 1:15pm Saturday afternoon, I am currently hanging out at the student gaming center with the pool tables and a line of arcades in front of me. At least nine to twelve players are gathered around 2 gaming arcade machines in front of me. The two main popular ones that are of interest would be the Street Fighter 3rd Strike and the Marvel vs Capcom 2 machines. The gamers are heavily immerse in watching the players and cheering them on. I am observing four players playing on two separate machines.... [tags: Gaming, narrative]
1032 words (2.9 pages)