I have chosen this career because there is nothing I would rather do than play the game of basketball for the rest my life. I started playing organized basketball in the sixth grade, and I have been in love with the game ever since. Here is a little history on basketball,
The First type game may have been played by the early Olmec people of ancient Mexico as early as 500 years ago. The Aztec, and Mayan cultures also had a game similar to basketball, only instead of a rubber ball they used the decapitated skulls of their conquered foes. The First true basketball game as we know it was on January 20th, 1892 in Springfield, Massachusetts. Canadian Doctor James Naismith invented the game for the YMCA to play during the winter months. Naismith wrote simple rules to the game, and nailed up two peach baskets for hoops, most of original Naismith rules are still in place today. Some of the rules have changed a bit, and new rules have been added since then, such as in the game bouncing the ball was prohibited. Of the 13 rules, nine have been modified and kept in the modern game of basketball, the rest have been disregarded (Faurschou).
This career is very special to me because I love the game of basketball and I would be honored to spend the rest of my life getting paid millions of dollars to play. The odds of me going to the NBA are 1 in 3,000 chance but that does not mean I am not going to try. The training and preparation is extreme amounts of hard work that I am willing to endure.
Career Requirements and Qualifications
To be a NBA player you must be educated in the sport but not so much in school. The highest level of education required is a High School Diploma and one year in college. The one year of college will be free be...
... middle of paper ...
...ne where the college athletes who entered the Draft that year will compete and show off their skills to the NBA recruiters. It is also aired on NBA TV every year for people to watch, it is kind of a big deal. I will also need an agent if I get drafted and a manager for the contracts and to keep up with my schedule. The NBA changes all the time. New rules and better talent are added to the NBA every year. So the NBA will have greatly changed by the time I get ready to enter the draft or go to the NBA. This career is needed everywhere for everybody. The NBA is a worldwide franchise that everyone loves to watch and keep up to date on. People all around the world watch the NBA and have their own favorite players and teams. The NBA will forever be needed in this world cause basketball is such an entertaining sport that people all around the world love to watch and play.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There’s 6 seconds left on the clock, we’re up 70-39. Whether we said it or not we all came into this game thinking we were going to lose, or at least I did. I take a moment to look around me and at this 6 seconds I notice I’m playing with four girls who over the years I have grown to “hate”, but walking out of this gym tonight I will be leaving with different thoughts. The clock is winding, and so are the few seconds of my last basketball game on my home court or my last game at all for the matter.... [tags: Game, Play, Games, Toy]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- Hey you. Yeah, the NBA Fan would go deep within a conversation with. I will be talking about how the NBA (National Basketball League) has their fair share of missed calls to rigging Championship series within the years. While I was researching on the missed calls or the signs of a rigged game by watching a lot of films (Watching NBA Games in their entirety). There is a lot of conspiracy theorists who think the league purposely rig games for more ratings and sales, which is true. I am not going to lie because on personal experience.... [tags: National Basketball Association]
2492 words (7.1 pages)
- Standing for the National Anthem at a high school basketball game portrays the image that everyone in the gym is standing in unity. However, this is not always the case. Some people may be standing in honor of the flag and in honor of the United States of America; others may be standing based solely on the fact that it is what everyone around them is doing. Many people do not have a true sense of community, they just follow the trends and do what seems to be right because this is the false image that sports portray.... [tags: Olympic Games, Ancient Olympic Games]
1113 words (3.2 pages)
- One Team has to Fall "Shannon you are going to take this three and win the game for us" Coach said. Senior night for my teammates. I was a tenth grader taking the final shoot to win the game. Everything was going through my head, I cannot let down the seniors on senior night or I am only a sophomore I should not be taking this shoot. I knew when it came down to it I could make this shoot and I was the best one at doing it. My tenth grade basketball season was different than I expected. Three players quit from last season and I was supposed to be fighting for the starting shooting guard or winger job.... [tags: Game, Play, The Black Wall Street Records, Games]
1386 words (4 pages)
- . Every good service unreturned or ball by the side receiving counts one score for the side serving. The only side that can score is the one that is serving, when the opposite side returns and count for the opposite side. When the ball hits the net on the first serve it will be dead and at that point it will be classified as one trail. Net balls are also a part of the game of volleyball, it is a play which hits the net when it is aside from the first service. A net ball is the equivalent to a failure to return the ball right across the net.... [tags: Olympic Games, United States, Volleyball, Game]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Everyone knows the game of basketball by now, therefore not many people know how it got started. Basketball was first discovered in Springfield, Massachusetts by a guy named Dr. James Naismith in 1891. Dr. Naismith was told by Dr. Luther Gulick, who was in charge of the Physical Education at the School of Christian Workers, to create a new game. Dr. Naismith struggled to come up with something. His first idea was to bring soccer and lacrosse inside, however that was too physical. He finally thought of an old childhood game he used to play called duck-on-the-rock.... [tags: Basketball, Rules of basketball, Wilt Chamberlain]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Basketball Game Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. My alarm sounds waking me up. I roll over to look at the clock on the nightstand beside my bed. 6:30 A.M. brightly shines across the screen. The sun is just peeking through my bedroom window, shining perfectly in on me telling me it’s time to get up. I drug myself out of bed to start my usual morning routine; brush my teeth, shower and get ready for the day. As the cold water splashes against my body when I step into the shower, waking me up completely, my thoughts are already on the game tonight.... [tags: Basketball, Game, Three-point field goal]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- There are 5 seconds left on the clock in the last quarter, the coach calls a time out. Down by 2, the team has a chance to win the game. The whistle blows and the clock winds down, 5...The ball is passed in…4…the point guard dribbles around the key…3…the ball is passed to the shooting guard…2…the shooting guard passes it back to the point guard…1…the point guard shoots from behind the 3-point line…0. Countless fans across the globe may get thrills while watching an intense minor or professional basketball game, although, few actually know where or how this widely popular sport was created.... [tags: nba, basketball players, james naismith]
1397 words (4 pages)
- As an instructor at the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, James Naismith was tasked with keeping physical education students active through the winter by providing a challenging, vigorous activity that could be played indoors. While he first considered bringing outside games indoors, James invented a new game when he determined these sports were too rough for the gymnasium. For this reason, Naismith 's solution was to nail peach baskets to the balconies at each end of the International Young Men 's Christian Association and have a game that was non contact (hooptactics) .... [tags: Basketball, James Naismith, YMCA, Springfield]
705 words (2 pages)
- High school basketball is not only a mental sport, but, also, a communication game. You must be able to communicate very well to play in Morgantown, West Virginia, especially at University High School. To make the team, you have to be basketball knowledgeable, talented, physically fit, and vocal. After four years of playing varsity basketball, the vocal part of the sport has helped me out in the long run. There are five positions in basketball: point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center, but, the most important position is the point guard.... [tags: Sports Basketball]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Macbeth Is An Extravagant Play Made By William Shakespeare
- The And Board Of Education Transcript Validates The Reason For Eliminating Segregation
- Summary Of ' Lizzie ' And ' The Devil '
- Relationship Between Odysseus And His Wife
- Climate Change : The World 's Major Issue Today
- Legalizing The Physician Assisted Suicide