Certainly, Ocean Downs casino's gaming taxes will help to improve the economic status of the county. Although the casino has only been open for a couple of months, thousands of people visited the new gambling place. So by the words of Shawn J. Soper, a news editor in The Dispatch newspaper, casino's revenue reached nearly 6.17 million dollars that is divided between different funds. So in this way, around 3 million dollars goes to the state's Education Trust Fund, and 5.5 percent of gross revenue is divided between l...
... middle of paper ...
Viewpoints In Context. Web. 23 Mar. 2011.
Powell, Nancy. “Slots Coming In, Betting Windows Going Out.” Ocean City Today. 9 Oct. 2009.
Web. 5 Apr. 2011.
Soper, Shawn J. “Slots Revenue Mirrors 1st Month.” The Dispatch. 11 Mar. 2011. Web. 6 Apr.
Waddel, David. “Casino Gambling Does Not Cause Crime.” Legalized Gambling. Ed. David M.
Haugen. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2006. Contemporary Issues Companion. Gale
Opoosing Viewpoints In Context. Web. 4 Apr. 2011.
Whittaker, Anne and Ames C. Cushman.”Point: Gambling Should Be Legalized.” Points of
View: Legalized Gambling. N.p.: Great Neck, 2009. Points of View Reference Center.
Web. 4 Apr. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Should Gambling Be Legalized. Over the past twenty or so years, great wealth and improved economic and social conditions have been promised to the communities that have embraced legalized gambling. However, with twenty years of experience it is time to look back and analyze whether this is true or not. It could easily be said that gambling is as American as apple pie. Gambling has shaped American history since its beginning. Lotteries were used by The First Continental Congress to help finance the Revolutionary war.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
3928 words (11.2 pages)
- The adrenaline-rushing feeling of gambling offers people the idea that opportunity lies within their hands. Unfortunately, there are far too many consequences to gambling to even begin to count. To win you must play, and to win big you must play big. As more gamblers can recall their losses rather than their winnings, gamblers are often dealt with poor hands and must play the risky game to stay alive. Even though gambling has so many faults, some still fall under its corruptions because of gambling’s deceiving fallacies.... [tags: Gambling, ]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- A Game of (Bad) Luck Obsession, Finance and Social Status: Gambling and State’s Policy. You roll the dice, you look at the cards, you pick a team and then you recite a silent prayer. The whole idea is to feel you have an edge over others, and that you are lucky; you think that you can beat the house. The truth is that gambling is a game of loss. That is why it 's called gambling, you are taking a calculated yet undoubtedly high risk which you believe gives you a good chance of coming out on top.... [tags: Problem gambling, Addiction, Gaming law, Gambling]
1798 words (5.1 pages)
- GAMBLING IN INDIANA Almost 9 out of 10 adults will gamble in their lifetime. Although gambling can be in many forms, such as lottery, sports betting, and illegal gambling, casino gambling remains one of the most popular gambling activities. With 12 casinos in Indiana, the state revenue can lead to big business. Over the past decade, Indiana has brought in a large amount of revenue from its 12 river boat casinos. In fact, Indiana is third in the nation in gambling revenue - only trailing Las Vegas and New Jersey (Walker, 2013).... [tags: loterry, sports betting, casino gambling]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- Gambling involves taking a risk. It’s something that gets our adrenaline pumping. Believe it or not, money is one of the major things that makes the world go round and some of those believe that money does indeed buy happiness in our lives. We all have heard the stories of those who have won thousands to even millions of dollars just by gambling and we instantly think that could be us. If some random person can be that one in a million, surely I can be too, right. Even though gambling is a fun thing to do, it is important to be aware of the kinds of gamblers that exist in today’s society and realize that gambling should be played in moderation.... [tags: Gambling, Lottery, Scratchcard, Casino]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- “Mommy, why are we leaving again?” Young Claire will never understand the answer to her repetitive question asked to her parents yearly. Each new home, each year, each late night, Claire has to witness her dad go out and come home late with a bigger hole in his pocket. Claire’s mother has to work off the losses that her husband creates and worry that she will find another suicide note; praying her husband will come back to his normal self, his non-addicted self. Claire’s father insists that it will help out the family with money and claims that each night is “his night”.... [tags: gambling, casinos, suicide]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- After conducting an interview I came up with a few methods that can be used to aid helpless people like Abe with their compulsive gambling disorder. These scenarios are made to enlighten peoples perception of gambling and teach people that too much of anything isn’t good for you. They will show how others have attempted to reach an unattainable victory. Let’s take the poker machine for instance, it has an innocent appearance, but in reality it is as cunning and mischievous as the devil. The bright glowing lights and the compelling ring tone of victory makes helpless bystanders believe that it’s just a fun game.... [tags: Gambling Poker Casino]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Internet Gambling Why is gambling such a problem on the Internet. There are plenty of reasons and you are going to hear all of them throughout this research paper. There are three main types of Internet gambling. There is the sports book, there are casinos and the lotto, and last but not least there is horseracing. Throughout this paper I will explain the Laws against online gambling. Why people can get around the laws, and the style of gambling and how to do it. I think that online gambling is fine the only person you could hurt is yourself.... [tags: Gambling Internet Casino Web Essays]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Win Some and Lose Some One hour away. Sloan, Iowa. Winna Vegas Casino. We like to say it’s a fun way to get away from college life, hang out with friends, and attempt to add a little extra to the pocket books. Many kids attending Buena Vista University have made at least one trip to the Winna Vegas Casino. This casino is 70 miles from Storm Lake and the age requirement to gain admittance is only eighteen. As an alternative to drinking or the bar scene, individuals view gambling as a relaxing and entertaining past time.... [tags: Gambling Gamblers Betting Essays]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Gambling has effected many people I know in a negative way and the problem is getting increasingly more serious due to the large amount of young adults who are starting to gamble. Teenagers often face routine warnings about drugs and alcohol but Not about gambling. Gambling is highly addictive, and compulsive gamblers have the same symptoms an alcoholic or a person addicted to drugs would have with their addiction , when someone is addicted to gambling they have a brain disease that is chemically and genetically driven, just as addictive as cocaine in certain individuals.... [tags: essays research papers]
613 words (1.8 pages)