The importance of specialization in nursing continues to be debated in today’s health care system. Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) has proven to the general public their ability to promote innovative changes, cost-effective services and evidence-based nursing practice. An APN is more than a set of skill; rather, it is a role which continues to provide quality of care in our health care. Despite the great values that an APN can provide, regulation and restrictions continue to challenge APN’s roles and positions in today’s health care system.
Contributions of the Advanced Practice Nurses
Advanced Practice Nurse is a functional role in nursing through formal education with clinical preparations which the nurse gains deeper knowledge into nursing principles and theories. The APN continues to implement learned theories into the care of the patients, which continue to improve quality of care. The skill set that an APN brings into the health care include direct clinical practices, nursing research, best evidence-based practice, patient education, hospital consultations, leadership skills and cost-effective practices. The advanced practice of nursing builds on the foundation and core values of the nursing discipline that the APN roles do not stand apart from nursing; they do not represent a separate profession. (Hamric, Hanson, Tracy & O’Grady, 2014).
Current Health Care Trend
As the physician shortage widens and health insurers increases, the needs of APN increased tremendously in the last decade. According to Beal (2013), “With the phenomenon of fewer medical students opt to go into primary care; 10,000 baby boomers a day go on Medicare; and approximately 35 million previously uninsured Americans...
... middle of paper ...
...bring forth the globalization health care program through research analysis. Safriet also has suggested many strategies that an APN need to take to promote our role in health care. I truly believe that by being an active member in a large organization as NACNS, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), and many others, is the only way that our voice can be heard and our roles can be standardized.
In conclusion, it is such a privilege to be actively involved in today’s health care, where an APN plays a crucial role in the general public. Although many debates continue as whether it is necessary to eliminate the extensive regulations and policies imposed on APN, it is exciting to see how APN is actively involved in every decision making process. As our contribution and value increases its transparency, the identified constraints will be lessened.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Advanced Practice nursing (APN) is considered the usage of a broader scope of constructive, logical and research-based expertise related to the health and well-being of patients, within a varying disciplines (DeNisco & Barker, 2013). What is the future position of APNs in the progression of our healthcare system. What role will this writer assume, educator, practitioner, population health coach, or all three. The use of theory, primarily Sister Callista Roy’s Adaptation Model, and EBP give this writer a firm foundation to develop and modify her own practice framework.... [tags: Advanced Nursing Practice Career]
2982 words (8.5 pages)
- Advanced practice nursing (APN) roles are diverse and encompass many different areas of nursing practice. Although nurse practitioners are often singled out as the primary APN role; APN roles can be clinical, educational, consultative, or leadership based. The advanced practice registered nurse is described by the American Nurses Association (ANA) as a masters-prepared nurse with expert knowledge, decision making skills, and clinical competencies (Krista, Kaisa, Riitta, & Anna-Maija, 2014). Advocating for advanced nursing degrees, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in conjunction with the Robert Wood Johnsons Foundation published a report in 2010 that suggested nurses with higher degrees would... [tags: Nursing, Advanced practice nurse, Registered nurse]
1720 words (4.9 pages)
- Reaction to Safriet Article In 2011, Barbara Safriet published an article “Federal options for maximizing the value of Advanced Practice Nurses in providing quality, cost-effective health care” from a legal perspective. The article focused on the benefits of utilizing Advance Practice Nurses to the full extent of their abilities as well as the current barriers that APNs encounter in their practice. The aim of this paper is to discuss two regulatory provisions to full deployment of APNs in current health care system, as well as three principle causes of current barriers to removal of the restrictive provisions for the APN.... [tags: Medicine, Health care, Advanced practice nurse]
1924 words (5.5 pages)
- This paper will evaluate the local, national and international drivers that have influenced the development of advanced nursing practice. The discussion will include the political, economic, social, and technological influences that have contributed to the transformation from the traditional nursing role to the numerous exciting advanced level career opportunities achievable in nursing today. Dynamics that have shaped my own current advanced nursing role will be discussed and to conclude some thoughts on the future of advanced nursing practice.... [tags: advanced nurse practitioner (ANP)]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- APRN Learning Outcomes The role of advanced practice registered nurses in health care has been identified as a critical role in the goal to provide high-quality health care. APRNs have a bigger role to play in the health care system and it is important that students are provided with relevant and valuable knowledge as well as experience that improve ability. Achieving course objectives is critical for APRNs with the goal of contributing positively to the healthcare system. As a future APRN, I place high priority on life-long learning and the development of other people’s skill sets.... [tags: Health care, Nursing, Healthcare]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- The role of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN) in health care has been identified as a critical role in the goal to provide high-quality health care. APRNs have a bigger role to play in the health care system and it is important that students are provided with relevant and valuable knowledge as well as experience that improve their abilities. Achieving course objectives are critical for APRNs with the goal of contributing positively to the health care system. As a future APRN, I place high priority on life-long learning and the development of other people’s skill sets.... [tags: Health care, Nursing, Health care provider]
1064 words (3 pages)
- What specific knowledge and skills have you gained from this course to assist you with your future advanced practice role. Describe in a concrete way, how you anticipate using the course knowledge and skills. Which specialty search databases, web-sites, and EBP models will guide your future career. What is the more important concept or skill learned during this course. Future NR505 students: What advice could you offer to future NR505 students. I know in nursing we use evidence based research that have been proven to work in the clinical practice.... [tags: Nursing, Health care, Nursing specialties]
825 words (2.4 pages)
- Advanced practice nursing (APN) has been evolving for some time now. There was a time when nurses practiced in the role of an APN but it was not recognized as a specialty role. This began in the 19th century. However, the term APN was established in the 1980’s to describe the four roles of certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), certified nurse-midwife (CNM), clinical nurse specialist (CNS), and nurse practitioner (NP) (Hamric, Hanson, Tracy & O’Grady, 2014). According to the definition for the APN, it requires an education preparation, the provision of direct patient care and also competencies that may vary depending on the population of patients the APN serves (Hamric et al., 2014).... [tags: Nursing, Nursing specialties, Registered nurse]
1052 words (3 pages)
- The Significance of Collaboration, Communication and Team Building The success of an advanced practice nurse (APN) is dependent on the collaborative effort to liaise with other interdisciplinary teams in fostering an effective patient care and outcome. Particularly, collaboration promotes satisfactory clinical results as it relates to quality care which in turns increase patient satisfaction and eventually lowers the mortality of the patient (Hamric et. al, 2014). This paper will define the term collaboration, analyze its essential characteristics, identify barriers and describe a personal experience that promotes team building.... [tags: Health care provider, Patient, Health care]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- Nursing knowledge guides nursing practice. Nursing knowledge advanced the health and well-being of individual clients, families, and communities. The rapidly increasing resources available for nursing research have opened numerous opportunities for studying essential issues in promoting health, ameliorating the side effects of illness and the consequences of treatments while increasing the health outcomes of our patients and their loved one. (Sue, 2000).There so many challenges that are facing the future of nursing practice, one of them is the presence of the wide gap between the theory and practice .one of the primary problem or concern is the difficulty of transferring available knowledge... [tags: Nursing, Nurse, Nursing practice, Nurse education]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- Vaccines Are The Best Public Health Achievements Of A Healthier Environment For Children, Elderly, And The Immune
- The Role Of Control Over Immigration During The 1940 ' S
- Analysis Of Joseph Conrad 's ' Heart Of Darkness '
- The Woman 's Expectation And The Society
- Determining The Value Of Life
- Family Is A Relationship With Family