Information is all around us we just need to know where to look; properly capturing information plays a crucial role in the information pool (Grace 2004). The government’s preferred source of information is intelligence but with modern technological advances it needs to keep up with an every changing media that is appealing and imaginative (Gibson 2005), intelligence should include out of the box thought processes but its foundation should spring from empirical research.
Technological advances have made it easier for analysts as well as policy makers to access all the information they need. Open source information now accounts for 90 percent of the informati...
... middle of paper ...
Odom, W 2008, ‘Intelligence analysis’, Intelligence and National Security, vol. 23,
no. 3, pp. 316-332.
Phytian, M 2009, ‘Intelligence analysis today and tomorrow’, Security Challenges,
vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 67-83.
Russell, P 2010, PICT 813 The intelligence arsenal: Course notes, Macquarie
University, North Ryde.
Treverton, G, Seth G, Steven, B & Lipsey, P 2006, ‘Workshop report’, Proceedings
of the National Security Research Division Toward a Theory of Intelligence, Santa Monica, CA, pp. 1-35. Retrieved Monday 22, 2010, from RAND Database.
Watanabe, F 1997, ‘Fifteen axioms of intelligence analysis’, Studies in Intelligence,
Semi Annual Edition, no. 1, pp. 45-47.
Wheaton, K 2009, ‘Evaluating intelligence: Answering questions asked and not’,
International Journal of Intelligence and Counterintelligence, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 614-631.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- External Environment Starbucks primarily operates in the retail coffee shop market. The UK coffee shop market alone is estimated at over 16,000 outlets and showed a strong growth of 6.4% in sales during 2013 (FDIN, 2014). The branded coffee chain segment recorded a turnover of £2.6 billion, delivering a higher than market sales growth of 9.3% (FDIN, 2014). The coffee shop sector has seen a considerable growth in the past 15 years and Allegra Strategies (as cited in FDIN, 2014) forecasts that UK’s branded coffee shop market will grow at 10% compound over the next five years.... [tags: business analysis and strategies]
1903 words (5.4 pages)
- The Department of Homeland Security’s “2014 Quadrennial Homeland Security Review” reviews six strategic challenges that are believed to be at high risk within the United States. Quadrennial Homeland Security Review is required to be updated every four years as it discusses present and futures risks, threats and consequences. The six strategic challenges that were analyzed from 2014 to 2018 are terrorist threats, cyber threats, biological concerns, nuclear terrorism, transnational criminal organizations and natural hazards.... [tags: Risk, Risk management, Local government, Hazard]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- The Department’s mission is focused on the end results of the justice system and ensuring that all individuals receive the best service possible as intended under the law. Within the mixture of simple and complex cases, lies the array of technology that supports the goals, missions, and functions carried out by the Team. Discretionary use of these resources by the Team is determined by priority and need of the office and the community. The Team is divided into sections that guide the discretionary use of resources.... [tags: SWOT analysis, Management, Strategic management]
1478 words (4.2 pages)
- Introduction Part of the “Open Government Initiative” and vision of President Obama stated “the way to make government accountable is make it transparent so that the American people can know exactly what decisions are being made, how they’re being made, and whether their interests are being well served.” (Lakhani, Austin, Yi, 2010) This paper will describe how an open government would function under three major objectives of transparent, participatory, and collaborative. In addition, express how Vivek Kundra, CIO of the U.S.... [tags: Federal government of the United States]
2094 words (6 pages)
- Research and Referencing Assignment ARTS1840 – Semester 1, 2010 z3332769 Critical analysis The Australian Journal of Public Administration’s research and evaluation paper explores the parliamentary scrutiny of government performance in Australia. It observes the processes the Commonwealth Parliament of Australia can use to make ministers and public servants accountable for the performance of their relevant departments. These decisions are made on the basis of performance data that each department is required to provide as well as parliamentary committee inquiries.... [tags: Government]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- It is the responsibility of the human resources department to ensure that the organisation recruits the correct staff and that the staffs are trained to ensure that the business meets its aims and annual targets. Our function is absolutely central to the success of the business. Sometimes in human resources there has to be disciplinary for staff and termination of contracts. What is important is that all staff members are treated fairly and in line with company policy. The Human Resources Department are responsible for four main functions: Ø Human Resources Planning Ø Recruitment and Selection Ø Training and Development Ø Performance Management.... [tags: Human Resources Essays]
1057 words (3 pages)
- The year was 1971 when three partners opened the first Starbucks. The business started out as a local roaster and retailer of whole bean and ground coffee and as the business grew they took inspiration from the Italian coffeehouse tradition. The Italian coffeehouses are a place for conversation and a sense of community, a stop between home and work. This experience was something Starbucks wanted to bring to the United States. They had found their niche. Following this, Starbucks grew quickly and began opening several stores all over the country, and shortly thereafter the world.... [tags: coffee, pestle, bean farmers]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- In 2005 Africa was listed as a country of concern by the US department of State trafficking office. It was placed on a Tier-2 watch list until 2009. This means that the state department believed that Africa was a source and destination for victims of human trafficking, and nothing was being done to resolve the issue. This article discusses the city of Cape Town in Africa and researching why the rate of human trafficking is so high in this part of Africa. The article proposed two questions, first was for those that were apart of human trafficking how did they become introduced to the industry.... [tags: Prostitution, Sex industry, Human trafficking]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Initiation Phase A new year has begun and all the up-to-date models of cars have been released. The question arises whether to upgrade a current car or buy a brand new model. Things to consider are improvements upon the current car or buy a new car for the enhancements and expected performance. The initiation phase of the United States Department of Justice (DoJ) System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is similar to this situation. Management of a business or organization determines that it is necessary to enhance a business process through the application of the computer system or information technology.... [tags: Project Planning Development]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- CIA Research Paper The Central Intelligence Agency is the President’s independent foreign intelligence arm, responsible to him through the Director of National Intelligence and the National Security Council, and accountable to the people of the United States by interaction with the intelligence oversight committees of Congress. The CIA has many duties within those boundaries and performs a variety of functions through many forms of intelligence. They employ people from all backgrounds of academic study, from linguists to economists, along with people from varied ethnic backgrounds to work as specialists.... [tags: Government Central Intelligence Agency]
1842 words (5.3 pages)