In order to help students develop these meaningful relationships there must first be a base of communication and collaboration between teachers, parents and paraeducators who all share a stake in supporting and empowering students with and without disabilities. Downing and Peckham-Hardin found that both teachers and parents cited communication and working as a team were essential for truly inclusive education. Some of the most important components of this communication and team work ...
... middle of paper ...
...ons from the 1%: Children with Labels of Severe Disabilities and Their Peers as Architects of Inclusive Education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 12(5-6), 543-561.
Causton-Theoharis, J. C., & Malmgren, K. C. (2005). Increasing peer interactions for students with severe disabilities via paraprofessional training. Exceptional Children, 7(4), 431-444.
Copeland, S. R., Hughes, C., Carter, E. W., Guth, C., Presley, J. A., Williams, C. R., & Fowler, S. E. (2004). Increasing Access to General Education: Perspectives of Participants in a High School Peer Support Program. Remedial and Special Education, 25(6), 342-352.
Downing, J. E., & Peckham-Hardin, K. D. (2007). Inclusive Education: What Makes It a Good Education for Students with Moderate to Severe Disabilities?. Research and Practice for Persons With Severe Disabilities (RPSD), 32(1), 16-30.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How Inclusion Came to Be When children have a learning disability there are two different ways for them to be taught. One is an out of the classroom approach where children with disabilities receive extra help with a specialist separate from the regular classroom. There are also schools that only have children that are disabled and cater to only the different needs of a child with a disability. In the approach where children with disabilities are separated from non-disabled children, the child spends half the day in the mainstream classroom and half of the day separated and excluded from the mainstream classroom (Odom 2002).... [tags: essays papers]
2335 words (6.7 pages)
- Within the past decades and a big discussion has occurred regarding the most appropriate setting within which to provide education for students in special education. Although the change in the educational environment is significant for handicapped student the concepts of inclusion also bring up new issues for the regular education classroom teachers. The movement toward full inclusion of special education students in general education setting has brought special education to a crossroad and stirred considerable debate on its future direction.... [tags: essays research papers]
1042 words (3 pages)
- I believe that learning requires an understanding, everyone is a teacher, it builds a friendship and it is always evolving. I also believe that I can always learn something new. I picked these five things from my Ten Things I believe about teaching because I am not only a student I currently work as a teacher with kindergarteners and they have taught me many things about life and myself just as much as I have taught them. Promote self-learning Promoting self-learning to me means that I will be taking a stand in my learning and finding a way to further and better my understanding on my own.... [tags: Knowledge, Education, Psychology, Learning]
1379 words (3.9 pages)
- November 26th marked the third anniversary of the Mumbai terrorist attacks – the three days of horrific acts of terror in November 2008, which left 166 dead (including 25 foreign nationals), 308 injured and one billion outraged. The 10 terrorists from Pakistan had approached the city by the sea; attacks were plotted by Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the Pakistan based terrorist organisation, with support from Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan’s premier intelligence agency. After three years, Mumbai remains vulnerable as ever to acts of terror, as was witnessed by the July 13, 2011 triple bomb blasts.... [tags: Global Politics]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Are Outsiders Simply Those Who Are Misjudged and Misunderstood. If you were to walk into a high school lunchroom, what is the first thing you would see. Groups, cliques, friend circles, and separations. Tables split up in detached formations, almost completely unaware of the other surrounding pupils nearby. The most common groups in high school are the populars and the outcasts. The kids who have endless friends, engage in team sports, and meet the ideal teenage standards, against the ones who are quiet, solitary, and unconventional.... [tags: High school, Adolescence, Inclusion, Middle school]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- Intellectual Passion Paper Ever since I was a little kid in elementary school I have always had a passion for creating strong friendships with people and always making sure I included everyone in whatever I did. To this day I still have that passion and motivation to build and create strong friendships while always keeping in mind to include everyone. There have been many events in my life that has sparked an interest for this passion and how it has developed since I was little. One particular event that really made me realize that I needed to trust myself with others for this passion was when I was in fourth grade and my two best friends started hanging out without me and making plans be... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
1459 words (4.2 pages)
- Ever since I was a little girl in elementary school I have always had a passion for creating strong friendships with people. When doing this I always made sure that I included everyone in any plans that I may have had.. To this day I still have that passion and motivation to build and create strong friendships while always keeping in mind to include everyone. There have been many events in my life that have sparked an interest for this passion and how it has developed in me at such a young age.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Education]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- The film Mean Girls is about a young girl, Cady Heron, born and raised in Africa by her zoologist parents, who were also her homeschool teachers for sixteen years. When Cady moves to the United States, she enrolls in a public school for the first time. Here she realizes that high school students have the same hierarchy as the animals she observed in Africa. The lowest ranking group in this high school hierarchy is the outcasts, who also happen to be Cady’s first friends in the U.S. The highest on the high school food chain are the “plastics”.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- The human survival is based on friendship. From the highest authority to the lowest bums living on the streets all of them have experienced in some way or the other one of these different kinds of friendships. We take this friendship for granted because it is something that exists naturally in society and most of us never really have to actually go out into the world looking for a friend. Those of us who have had to live in a foreign country or in new surroundings have learned how important this is in life.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- Friendship I jumped into my bed, exhausted from my late-night babysitting job. It was past midnight, and I was looking forward to sleeping since I had to get up for work in about eight hours. Normally, I would have pulled my big, fluffy down comforter up to my chin right away, but my body felt as if it were on fire with fever. A bad cold had hit me, just as it always does during the mid-spring season. I could hardly breathe, and my head was pounding. I tossed and turned until I finally fell asleep about an hour later.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Bullying: A Force That Must Be Stopped
- PETA Campaign Analysis
- Open Adoption Records Do Not Decrease Adoption Rates or Increase Abortion Rates
- Processed Food Should or Should not be Banned From School Meals?
- Writer’s Block: A Comparative Analysis Focusing on Rhetor
- The Subjection of Women: In Today’s Context