The major philosophical studies of friendship are the naturalness of friendship, the possibility of selflessness, and the state of friendship. Aristotle believed that friendship consists of three categories. The three categories are utility, pleasure and perfect friendship. Utility is considered to be temporary and changes depending on the situation. This type of friend is not an ideal one because he or she is only useful when the given situation benefits one or more persons in the friendships. When you are no longer able to render services the friendship ceases to exist. “Those who love for utility or pleasure, then, are fond of a friend because of what is good or pleasant for themselves, not insofar as the beloved is who he is, but insofar as he is useful or pleasant” (Nichomachean Ethics, VIII.3). Those engaged in this type of friendship seek only gain and profit. A friendship based on pleasure is the enjoyment of something. I believe pleasure is i...
... middle of paper ...
...any ulterior motives. Familiarity is very important to a relationship because when you are familiar with someone you tend to understand them better. We all are entitled to our own opinions and Cicero’s laws on friendship is better than Aristotle’s because Cicero is does not believe that there are categories to a friendship like Aristotle mentions. I agree with Cicero, moral people along with another moral individual make a good friendship. Simply because bad influences can contaminate a person, and if one is contaminated how will you steer another in the right direction. I favor Cicero and believe that his theories on friendship are more preferred over Aristotle’s. It is true when the scripture says “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpened the countenance of his friend.” (Proverbs 27:17) As friends we should admonish and encourage each other in truth.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Friendship has evolved into a whole new abstract that not everyone can understand. With the technological advancements that we humans rely on so much, friendship has morphed into digital pixels that are released throughout the internet, rather than a one on one physical interaction. Does this mean that man has now created a new flaw in social interaction. Well not really, in fact the digital and physical are connected in more ways than one may think. Friendship. What does is it mean exactly. This is a question that has intrigued philosophers for many centuries, and I honestly do not think it is a question that can be answered.... [tags: Friendship, Sociology, Love]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Social media sites also fosters illusion of community as it causes an illusion that we have a large built-in support. This is not true, even for the people with million followers. The reality is, those followers are merely a number. In regards to friendship of politics, Aristotle sees this type of friendship as perfect as he sees the possibility of a good citizen turning out to be the good person. But these kinds of friendships based on justice and timocracy as Aristotle postulates, lacks meaning in the contemporary world.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- ... It is impossible for an individual who becomes more virtuous than the other to attain friendship. Therefore, both individuals should have some sense of virtue and seek out the goodness of their friendship. A person seeking out the good in friendship is important because a divinely happy person will need friends, according to Aristotle in order to look at the positive actions and those that are his/her own. If a person decides to follow another group of individuals that will create a negative impact on that person’s life, that person should break off the friendship for his/her own goodness and seeking out a better friendship that will create a positive impact in his/her life.... [tags: Friendship, Virtue, Nicomachean Ethics]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- ... Whether it was only talking about her, wanting to do what she thought of, manipulating my actions to fulfill her needs, or embarrassing me over things I succeeded in, there was always an aspect of bad intentions in our friendship. Why did I stick around for so long when it was clear that she didn 't care about me. I went to a lot of different schools during my childhood so making friends was a bit of a nuance to me. I came back to Konawaena for high school, where I met anon., and we started to hang out again.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Love and friendship are related terms, there is almost no difference between the two, however these two words actually have different definitions and different meanings to other people. Experiencing love and having friendships can bring out the brightest moments in one 's life. They become the source of positive energy and joy in our lives. However, love and friendships end up causing problems in our lives, and bring about frustration and confusion. Love is an affection we feel for another person, friendship is the most important thing in the world to me.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Love]
1593 words (4.6 pages)
- Friendship Through our life we tend to have different kinds of relationships. For example, our parents are the first connection that we had as relationship, and in the majority of the cases parents become in our best friends. Later on, in school we discover friends, and this is the motivation and the most exciting part to go every day because we want to spend time with them. Then, romantic attachments take place in the list, and friendship is the first step to achieve this phase. In every stage of our life we make friends, and one of the greatest gifts of life is friendship.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Virtue]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- The human survival is based on friendship. From the highest authority to the lowest bums living on the streets all of them have experienced in some way or the other one of these different kinds of friendships. We take this friendship for granted because it is something that exists naturally in society and most of us never really have to actually go out into the world looking for a friend. Those of us who have had to live in a foreign country or in new surroundings have learned how important this is in life.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- Friendship I jumped into my bed, exhausted from my late-night babysitting job. It was past midnight, and I was looking forward to sleeping since I had to get up for work in about eight hours. Normally, I would have pulled my big, fluffy down comforter up to my chin right away, but my body felt as if it were on fire with fever. A bad cold had hit me, just as it always does during the mid-spring season. I could hardly breathe, and my head was pounding. I tossed and turned until I finally fell asleep about an hour later.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone is affected by certain events or individuals that greatly change their life. Many people have influenced me during my 21 years of my life, but I believe that the person that has influenced my life the most is a wonderful girl by the name of Lindsay Schiller. In the year that I have known her, she has become one of my best friends, and has helped to transform me from a lonely computer nerd into a happy college student with a decent social life. Popular wisdom has it that, "You judge a man by his friends." Earlier in my life, that would have been difficult, because my father was a high school football coach, and it seemed as though every year I was moving to a new s... [tags: Friendship Essay]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Friends "Friends have a unique loyalty to one another. This loyalty comes not through a sense of duty in the way one may show loyalty to family, kinsfolk or country. Theirs is born out of love, trust and respect. Nurtured on care and understanding. A perfect loyalty that will survive every hardship and endure the rigorous test of time." --Stuart and Linda Macfarlane-- The Love Between Friends, a Helen Exley gift book Friends, some are just acquaintances, others I truly care about. A select few of my friends have become like brothers and sisters.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1409 words (4 pages)