Before analyzing the comedic content in question, it is important when drawing on a variety of sentiments from comedians to understand that many performers use a character or parody for their humor. Others choose to voice opinions and views contrary to their own, in the hopes of receiving a certain reaction from a specific audience. In referring to the material of writers and comedians, one must respond to the beliefs they promote (which can be known), rather than those they espouse, which cannot.
The concept of difficulties arising in opposite sex friendships has long-standing roots in comedy. Take for example, in 1974, Richard Pryor broke ground in comedy, by discussing taboo topics (including women’s sexuality) extremely bluntly. The divisions drawn by Pryor t...
... middle of paper ...
...stand-up formula, “men are like this, women are like this.” It seems that there are certain unchangeable and permanent systems in place. Just as comedy has the power to solidify these assumptions, it also has the opportunity to force an audience to reconsider the reasoning behind the concepts we apply to dating. This is the central reasoning behind my creative piece, which seeks to make an audience realize how backwards this way of thinking can be.
I chose to present my creative piece in the form of a stand-up, as that is the format in which the issue was popularized. If discussing the sexual differences of men and women leads to successful comedy, why shouldn’t lampooning the sexist attitudes of men be just as effective? The first part of the stand-up routine is mostly making fun of comedians (and people in general) who complain about being in “the friend zone.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dating, the starting point where two individuals look forward to a romance. Romance is the second stage where love begins, which will eventually lead to a marriage. The question is, where can it start. People are often looking for someone to date, but where they begin has many options. Online dating is one of many choices that allow us as people to experience one thing that many desire, a shot at love. As a Aziz Ansari, author of the book Modern Romance, points out, you can meet someone through a friend, or a family member, or even through work or church(pg 81).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- No true love The new trend of finding love on dating site spread rapidly in the United State of America. 15 percent of the American adults use online dating services to find love. Not only from teens to thirties internet daters use sites, but also fifties and sixties use it. In addition, rate of middle of 50 and early of 60 years old users take 12 percent of online daters. Adults of all ages are looking for love, which is the sweatiest behavior in the world. However, Internet dating has lots of problems.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
1371 words (3.9 pages)
- The new trend of finding love on dating site spread rapidly in the United States of America. Fifteen percent of the American adults use online dating services to find love. Not only from teens to 30 year olds, but also 50 and 60 year olds use it. In addition, rate of middle 50s and early 60s year olds make up 12 percent of online daters. Adults of all ages are looking for love, which is the sweatiest behavior in the world. However, Internet dating has lots of problems. 54% of online daters realized that their partner’s profiles were fake, which makes internet dating service dependable.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
1399 words (4 pages)
- Have you ever tried to date someone online before. In America, online dating is becoming popular, 66% of online daters have gone on a date with someone who they met online, and 23% of them have actually met their spouses. In “Online Dating Odds Getting Better”, Katherine P. Harvey describes the improvements of online dating services in matchmaking industry. More people are able to find their mate through online dating. Most of the profits made by dating companies come from online and mobile dating services provide a lot of creative services.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- How to Stay Safe With Online Dating In recent years, online dating has become very popular with 1-in-5 Americans aged 25-34 years old using one or more of the many popular dating sites and apps, such as match.com, OkCupid, and PlentyOfFish. With the stigma of online dating gone, it’s turned out to be a great way to date, have fun, and potentially fall in love. However, online dating’s major drawcard is also it’s biggest flaw: you have no idea who the person you’re talking to really is. Romance scams are among the most common form of internet fraud, accounting for over $86 million dollars lost by Americans in 2014.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
3343 words (9.6 pages)
- When thinking back on my past experiences in the dating scene, it’s crazy to see how much things have changed over the years. About ten years ago, I would have never thought that online dating would have grown to be as popular as it is today. It was considered a risky and almost taboo thing to do in the beginning. Now it seems that online dating services are just about everywhere. From the bigger dating services providers, such as E-Harmony and Zoosk, to the smaller services such as online personal classifieds, social media, and phone apps, it’s easier than ever to find and meet people who are interested in dating.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- It’s great that your man has a best friend he can share all that boy stuff with, but this friend is becoming your love rival, how do you deal with this ‘significant other’. By Wairimu Gikenye Women are aware that men do have a best friend too, the guy in his life he just cannot let go off - his most trusted ally and confidant. A more fitting term used in Kenyan colloquial would be “his boy”. This is the unique phenomenon that is a ‘bromance’- a purely platonic relationship between 2 heterosexual males bonding over common interests and life experiences.... [tags: friend, interests, feeling, relationship]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- Argumentative Essay Technology has made connecting with people easier and more accessible. Online dating has become a major option for every adult in the United States. Although ease of accessibility can be a blessing, it can also be a hidden disaster. Creating an online dating profile is a lackluster attempt at love. Through a false sense of reality and deception at its finest, online dating has been a controversial topic in today’s modern era. The question then arises is convince worth the price you pay.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
1361 words (3.9 pages)
- Tinder is a mobile dating app that has taken over the online dating world and alarmingly beat out its competitors. With its game like layout, which makes the app enjoyable to use, Tinder’s amount of daily users has exponentially increased. Tinder has become popular because humans are attracted to Tinder’s design and logistics which play into real life situations. Tinder sets itself apart from other dating apps because the app acknowledges human nature’s psychology of attraction, banishes the fear of rejection, and pushes its users enough to communicate with other users.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- For the majority of Americans these are a necessary thing to have in order to keep roofs over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food in our stomachs. It seems that these days, employees are working well over the expected forty hours a week, which leaves little time to go out and meet that someone special. Is it any wonder then that most coworkers are finding themselves involved in an office romance. According to recent studies, 48% of employees admit to being involved in an office romance at some point in their careers (Voo).... [tags: Workplace Dating, 2014]
1250 words (3.6 pages)