Freedom in choosing college courses has raised many views on whether to be granted to the students or not. Over the years, students have been made to take up courses according to the grades they obtained at their high school level. The colleges base their admission of students and the courses they will study according to set specific requirement. Moreover ,the students performing very well in their high school, a good number of them, are forced by the universities to study the courses they view are according to their performance.
Students when given the freedom to choose the courses to study, they will choose what is not a burden to them, but a challenge. Each person knows their knowledge, level of understanding and which course to study, after self evaluation when freedom of choosing their classes is granted. In addition, the student considers the subjects to be studied that will not overwhelm them. The product of being burdened by the course as a whole is that they will physically struggle and, mentally will not be at relaxed. The struggle is mostly caused by long classes that the student cannot handle and, lots of homework that eats up a lot of time meant for independent study.
In a number of institutions, some subjects are considered compulsory when a course is being studied. The students are forced to take up the subjects that they are not interested in; moreover they are not able to choose subjects they have interested in. Due to the obligation of studying what one is not in their interest, one may not take their studies seriously because they consider that the subjects are not really needed and are just a waste of time. The moment the student is allowed to choose what subject to study, they will be eager when it comes to ...
... middle of paper ...
...ourse, the strong urge to attend the lectures, the zeal to complete college and finally the ability to perform excellently at the workplace when one gets a job. There should be no influence or obligations by other people or institutions on what to study at the college because, it may not be of your interest that afterwards, may cause discontinue of one’s studies. Therefore, the students should take up the mantle and stand firm on their ability to choose a course that is suitable for their career and lives for it is what will define who they will become in the future.
http://WWW.alfiekohn.org/teaching/cfc.htm- Alfie Kohn: 9:00 p.m. 12 April, 2014.
http://WWW.insidehighered.com/;nelson_on_academic_freed- Inside Higher Ed:
10:00 p.m. 12 April, 2014
http://WWW.ncte.org/righttoreadguid-National Council of Teachers of English: 11.00 p.m. 12 April, 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The process of choosing the right college is not a decision to be taken lightly. The next four years of your life should be at a place where you can thrive. So often people disregard the idea of college, and can’t grasp the concept that this next step in your life is not only exciting but frightening. This isn’t like going to Starbucks and spending a half hour ordering a drink that will only last you an hour, this decision has a direct impact on your future. The fact of the matter is that college isn’t about which school has the cutest boys, best parties, and easiest courses, rather the one that will push your mind to think in new ways.... [tags: College, High school, Irvine, California]
1057 words (3 pages)
- The process of choosing the right college is not something to be taken lightly. The next four years of your life should be somewhere where you can thrive. So often people disregard the idea of college, and can’t grasp the concept that this next step in your life is not only exciting but frightening. This isn’t like going to Starbucks and spending a half hour ordering a drink that will only last you an hour, this decision has a direct impact on your future. The fact of the matter is that college isn’t about which school has the cutest boys, best parties, and easiest courses, rather the one that will push your mind to think in new ways.... [tags: College, High school, Irvine, California]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Simply, university is meant to be a time to explore one’s self. Yet almost all post secondary institutions traditionally impose some unequivocal academic curriculum, nearly deciding the path of a student’s career long before they can question their own passion. Then, the minimum conditions of the institution must be met in order for the student to be awarded with the respected credit. Because of this, universities influence students to pursue standard, foundation courses, even if the subject adds zero value to future career aspirations.... [tags: education, academi curriculum]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- There has been a number of debates as to whether college students should be given the opportunity to choose their courses. Like any contentious subject, while others are of the opinion that, courses should be chosen for college students, others believe that, students should be given complete freedom to choose the courses they would love to study. When students join college, they are forced to study for subjects they do not want to. Many students complain that they are not allowed to choose subjects they are interested in; rather, they are forced to take compulsory subjects.... [tags: Argumentative Essays]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction With the rapid pace of online courses’ increasing, enrollment in online courses have rising continuously for several years. “Over 6.1 million students were taking at least one online course during the fall 2010 term” (Allen & Seaman, 2011). Comparing to traditional class, online course offers several advantages to students, which include flexibility, adaptability, accessibility and so forth (Borstorff, 2007). For student who has high level of communication apprehension (CA), the most noticeable benefit the one could gain from online course would be communication via computer mediation, which has been called as computer-mediated communication (CMC).... [tags: education and the internet, online courses]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- College is a great experience where no all high school students get the chance to live the feeling of a college student before their graduation. High school might be great for these teenagers, but college is even greater. College can offer them a lot more experience than they get while in high school. Becoming a college student and having a professional education is more than important for new generations. The importance of having an associate degree, a doctoral degree, and a master degree symbolize a successful person.... [tags: High school, College, Education, School]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- Educational Continuous: Community College vs. University With economic costs increasing, many businesses are now requiring individuals to have a higher level of education and at least a few years of experience to receive fair employment. Since living expenses are increasing rapidly each year, minimum wage jobs are not making ends meet anymore. More and more people are thinking about enrolling in secondary and tertiary educational institutions just to make a comfortable living for themselves as well as their families.... [tags: College, University, Higher education, Education]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Is education system in collegues good enough to prepare us for the future?Although students start the last stage of their education life, does it make sense to give the freedom of choosing compulsory courses to university?For example in some collegues, history lesson is compulsory for computer engineer departments, electronics lesson is compulsory for civil engineer departments and advanced mathematic lesson is compulsory for fine arts departments.There can be some explanations for university administration about this subject, but in my opinion,(as a university student) this traditional system needs to be changed, because every individual person has different characteristics and needs and un... [tags: education system, freedom, future]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- What if I am too broke to afford to go to college. College is expensive and the costs are continuing to rise. I ask myself this question everyday and wonder is going to college actually worth it. The future of higher education is continuing to evolve and I believe that college is affordable to anyone who truly wants to go. The future of traditional college is in jeopardy. Sometimes going to college and spending the money is not always the best option. To begin with, I believe that college is affordable.... [tags: University education, loans, job search]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- As of today, people have generally realized that the high school role is very similar to the college role and they both play a large aspect in the generalization of modern day school. Therefore, when a student decides to choose a school, the method is long and very tedious. They acknowledge every class offered and every sport available along with every extracurricular activity. However, a lot may compare and contrast high school with college. The aspects they grasp on people is not a secret and very important.... [tags: High school, Education, School terminology]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Perspectives on Ethics in Business and the Importance of Leadership in Business
- People and Conspiracy Theories
- The Bush Doctrine
- The Role of GIS and Remote Sensing in Environmental Impact Assessment
- The Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
- Leonardo Da Vinci’s Inventions and Other Contributions to Civilization