The way a leader is defined and remembered is not only through his actions and accolades, his followers and the leaders he developed also go into a leader’s legacy. Much like a legendary football coach, whose coaching tree goes on to do great things, I desire to join an organization that not only assist in my development as a leader, but also facilitate in the development of others as well. How could I contribute to the development of leaders? My largest contribution will come from my experience of being the United States military, where I was not only trained how to become an efficient leader, I was also taught on how to facilitate the growth and development of others leaders as well. I am able to accurately assess and evaluate strengths and weaknesses of an individual and assist in the development of a plan of action to address these areas. One of my personal beliefs is that vast knowledge is useless unless it is passed down to someone. With that being said I take every opportunity possible to share any knowledge that has helped me along the way.
Having no brothers and growing up in a household full of women, I often sought out brotherhood in any possible way, whether that is in the form of schoolhouse friends, teammates, or fellow soldiers...
... middle of paper ...
...e by, because even though I may be in charge of a group of people or project, I am doing it out of servitude to the people. How can I contribute to the providing of service and advocacy to our communities? I can use my passion for helping to uplifting our communities and combine it with the dedication of any resource I have available to me to implement programs of service and advocacy in those communities.
This essay is just a brief summary of why I desire to be an Alpha man and the contributions I will bring to Alpha Phi Alpha. As previously stated my fully expounded upon desires would greatly exceed the limits of this essay, so if I had K.I.S.S it into just three words, I would choose; learn, grow, and share. However, I am strong believer of deeds over words, so this essay will serve only as mental fodder and the main course will come in the form of my actions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In college, I was an active member of a service fraternity called Alpha Phi Omega. Leadership within this organization taught me many skills and gave me attributes that have helped me develop my character. To help my future students’ do the same, I would like to help advise organizations and clubs that would foster leadership skills and student driven community service, service learning, National Honor Society, Student Council or other like organizations. I have served on the executive board of many different organizations in both high school and college and can translate the skills of working with different leadership styles my club members.... [tags: Teacher, Education, Leadership, Alpha Phi Omega]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- College is something everyone dreams about while in high school. It may seem fun and exciting, but there is a tremendous number of mistakes that can happen. For instance, imagine someone has just been accepted into college, and it is her first day. She thought it was a dream to be in a sorority, but in reality it was a nightmare. After a week, she knows “Hell Week” is coming, but she wants shake everything off, and think everything is going well and the other members will accept her with no hesitation.... [tags: Hazing,college,bullying]
1172 words (3.3 pages)
- During the night of the You Gotta Be A Dope fraternity party, there were many laws, which were broken, that stemmed from the unknowing intoxication of the guests of the party, while the fraternity brothers knowing concealed alcohol in the beverages. Serving alcohol in this manner goes against several laws of the New York Penal Code. The first law is endangering the welfare of a child. As many guests were under the age of seventeen and the penal code 260.10 states “a person is guilty of endangering the welfare of a child when: 1.... [tags: Case Analysis]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- Instead of enlisting I went to a Christian fraternity in Pennsylvania. I still have a picture that shows me among my brothers. We were all the same height, and had the same uniform. I joined the Fraternity in 2005 and returned in 2007. By the time I returned home all the greetings of heroes had finished. I came home much too late. So many boys from my town went to war an came back to a welcome that was carefully arranged. I know people thought it was ridiculous that I had returned so much later than the others.... [tags: dialogue, mother, father, brothers]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- The Tragedy of Fraternity Hazing Hazing (subjecting newcomers to abusive or humiliating tricks and ridicule) has always been seen as a secretive campus activity when it comes to fraternities and pledging. As a result, Dr. Mark Taff resorted in his article that, "..a series of 168 cases of injuries and deaths related to fraternity hazing activities...[occurred] in the United States between 1923 and 1982" (2113). Young college men are being hospitalized and even worse, dying, just for a couple of friends that give them a sense of belonging.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Argument]
2113 words (6 pages)
- On the October of 1996, members of the Kappa Alpha Fraternity at Texas University traveled to a ranch north of their school to commence the annual initiation of their new pledges. Jonathan Culpepper a leader of their university clan poured a can of beer on John Warren a freshman pledge, and ordered him to do push ups while Culpepper sat on his back. He then pulled up viciously on his underwear, this eventuating two days later in one of his testicles being removed. This story is only one of many documented behind the scene incidents that occurs during a Fraternity initiation.... [tags: essays research papers]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Fraternity Hazing When most people hear the term "hazing" it brings up images of fraternities, or they just don’t know what it is. In even though hazing occurs in many places including fraternities and sororities, the military, athletic teams and student organizations (marching bands) at both the high school and collegiate levels. Many believe that hazing in fraternities and in general are nothing more than silly tricks and harmless pranks like those from the 1980s hit comedy Animal House. The realities of hazing are severely different than the witty images many people associate with them.... [tags: Fraternities Greek Life College Essays]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Of 24 documented cases of alleged gang rape by college students, fraternity men perpetrated 13. The problem of group sexual assault on college campuses mainly occurs in an environment where group behavior and acceptance is important to the men involved, i.e. fraternities (Bechhofer & Parrot 144). Looking at the environment surrounding this type of group one can see what causes the prevalence of this type of assault in fraternities. Why does this violence occur within these groups and how is it handled.... [tags: college rape on campus sexual assault]
2817 words (8 pages)
- Personal Narrative I am in a Fraternity I am a frat guy. I live in a frat house. I go to frat parties. I fight. I especially like to fight independents. If independents were cool, they would have pledged a frat in the first place. I know that I am more fun and can party harder than any Sigma Chi. I am exclusive. I run dances. I am the brains behind Spring Break. I am the reason road trips exist. I hope you enjoyed my homecoming party last Friday. I can recite the Greek alphabet before the fire of a match burns out.... [tags: Free Essays]
432 words (1.2 pages)
- Diary Entry Dear diary, Today wasâ€¦â€¦wellâ€¦..embarrassing, to say the least. I met up with my friends in town. We went round some shops, got this really nice top, Dave helped me choose. Well, after spending a couple of hours wandering about we all decided to go to the coffee shop, the one down on Regent Street. It's usually really cool, everyone's so laid back and you really can relax.... [tags: Papers]
1204 words (3.4 pages)