To what extent do foreign retailers affect the revenues of local grocery retailers in Indore, Madhya Pradesh?
To what extent do foreign retailers affect the revenues of local grocery retailers in Indore, Madhya Pradesh ?
In order to begin with my research, a market survey will be conducted. Questionnaires will be given to both consumers as well as producers. A sample size of approximately 30 people will be considered. Responses from consumers will give an insight into their shopping routines, and most importantly their reasons for choosing to shop from a particular store. On the other hand, the producer survey will allow me to understand the difficulties faced by local retailers as a result of new entrants in Indore.
Once I have concrete amount of data relating to retailers in Indore, secondary research will be focused upon. I will use relevant information about the retail industry in M.P and India as a whole using newspaper articles, websites and blogs. Moreover, IB Economics textbooks will be used in order to help apply the theories and concepts necessary for this particular topic. Firstly, the theory of competition will be taken into account in order to compare the present scenario of the industry with the past i.e. before the entrance of foreign retailers. In addition to this, the concepts of costs, revenues and profits will also be helpful as it will give an insight as to how the practices employed by foreign retail stores affect the sales of local grocery retailers. Moreover, the PED and YED theory will further help in the analysis of how discounted prices/price discrimination allows foreign retailers to set themselves ap...
... middle of paper ...
...g and education resources: Biz/ed. Biz/ed, 21 May 2012. Web. 4 Jan. 2014.
"A-level Economics/AQA/Business Economics and the Distribution of Income , open books for an open world." Wikibooks. N.p., 4 Mar. 2013. Web. 4 Jan. 2014.
"Normal Profit Definition." Investopedia. IAC, 12 Dec. 2012. Web. 4 Jan. 2014.
"A-level Economics Market Structure 1 Revision - Monopoly | S-cool, the revision website." GCSE revision and A level revision | S-cool, the revision website. Youth Marketing Limited, 5 June 2012. Web. 4 Jan. 2014.
"Welcome to MARKADELPHIA: Relatively Inelastic Demand Curve." Welcome to MARKADELPHIA. N.p., 16 Feb. 2013. Web. 4 Jan. 2014.
Agarwal, Sapna. "As prices climb, organized retailers attract value shoppers - Livemint." Livemint.com - Breaking Business News, Latest Financial News Headlines, Stock Market Quotes. Live Mint, 21 Mar. 2011. Web. 4 Jan. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When I started my employment at a local grocery store in my hometown I never thought I would be part of an ever-changing workplace that experienced extreme change and conflict. Organizational change is a part of any industry even a family owned store. Learning about handling transformation is nothing like experiencing and witnessing it first hand like I have over the past several months. My current employer is a small, family owned, grocery store in the little town of Phelps. Wades Fresh Foods and Café is the child store of the original Wades Market Center that was located in Farmington.... [tags: Decision making, Employment, Grocery store]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- Retail grocery industry possess many threats largely from its competitors, change in technology, trends and consumer preferences, bargaining power of buyers & suppliers, introduction of new substitute products etc. Some of the threats faced by India Bazaar are: 1) Online platform owners and big retailers: India Bazaar faces tough competition from big retailers like Walmart, Loblaw’s and local Indian grocery shops located in Surrey region. Although the development of online platforms for grocery sales provides an opportunity to retailers, it possesses a threat to traditional grocers like India Bazaar.... [tags: Supermarket, Wal-Mart, Grocery store, Hypermarket]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Grocery shopping is an existential item of life that everyone has to partake in, normally, on a regular basis. Even as the national age continues to increase with the ‘baby boomers’ beginning to edge into retirement and enter assisted living it does not change the fact that they are still in dire need to continue to shop. Within the clinical experience, it was interesting to attempt to be an elderly individual. This was different and really brought into light the complications associated with it, and being partially disabled.... [tags: Supermarket, Wal-Mart, Grocery store]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- It is true, everything is bigger in Texas, the grocery stores are no different. There has been a long lasting feud between the two major grocery store chains in the lone star state of Texas. HEB and Walmart have been competing with each other for years in the south. There are plenty of loyal customers for both companies that will fight from dawn to dusk on which is better. Breaking both companies down and comparing the customer service, product quality, product selection, price and the impact both make on the local economy, will hopefully bring an end to this long lasting feud.... [tags: Grocery store, Supermarket, Customer service]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- “Variety is the only constant” such is the saying of Heraclitus. What was true a century back holds true even today. A gradual change is the undercurrent of time. Change is in the air and retail business cannot lag behind. Plan your change model, check out the long-term and short-term strategies and alter the entire retail landscape. From ancient times till now, it's always about survival of the fittest. Evolving your business to survive whether it’s a high end retail chain selling luxury watches, jewelry or handbag planning a good business scheme for international expansion becomes crucial.... [tags: change model, business retailers, e retailers]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Based on retail change theories, explain the failure of high street retailers. A Case Study of Comet The recent financial meltdown that started unfolding in 2008 had a massive toll on businesses and impacted economies around the world. Adversities of the economic fallout were felt by a plethora of business sectors. Starting from the financial sector, the contagion then moved to the automobile sector, and later infected a number of downstream industries that owed their business viability to easy access to cheap credit that characterised the pre-crisis macroeconomic environment of the developed world.... [tags: Death of High Street Retailers]
3188 words (9.1 pages)
- History of retail. I have decided to explore the Grocery retail sector, researching the history of grocery to date, used my own knowledge of retail theory to develop my own idea of what has shaped the sector and have also analyzed current data and trends to predict the future of the major market players. Up until the early 1800’s, supermarkets in the UK were non-existent, and what is now known as the ‘grocery’ sector of retail, was also non-existent. As technology and science were no way as near advanced, as today, fridges and freezers were also non-existent, so most food were bought on a daily basis.... [tags: Wal-Mart, Supermarket, Grocery store, Food]
1725 words (4.9 pages)
- For my ethnography project I chose to study at my grocery store shop rite. I had a hard picking a day and time to do my study because some day’s the store is busy and other day’s not so much. On Saturday, March 26 at one o’clock pm, I found myself walking into my local supermarket shop rite. I chose shop rite to do my ethnography project because it was easy from since I work there and I didn 't have to go out my way somewhere else to do this project. But this is the first time i’m walking in to this supermarket with a different mindset, openminded, attitude, and a fresh perspective on my surrounding that i haven 't see before.... [tags: Supermarket, Grocery store, Safeway Inc.]
1618 words (4.6 pages)
- Perhaps the most interesting case study of cause and effect is that which applies to the grocery industry in the United States. Events like a hurricane can affect the supply of food and other perishable items found at the local grocer. There are also other causes that can influence this fluctuation in supply, such as food recalls, or a company going bankrupt. America 's grocery industry is a big business. It is so big in fact, that a few major corporations dominate it. For example Walmart 's grocery business in the US accounts for approximately 56% of the company 's sales.... [tags: Supermarket, Food, Grocer, Wal-Mart]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- A Local Foreign Manager is Best for Managing Foreign Subsidiaries For many global organizations, or organizations that produce or sell goods or services in more than one country, a difficult question is how to develop and place managers in foreign operations. Some people believe organizations should let foreign managers run foreign subsidiaries because of the large differences among national cultures while others believe that domestic managers should be trained to run foreign subsidiaries because of loyalty issues.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
533 words (1.5 pages)