Nutrition is a topic that affects every living creature on earth. We all must eat to survive and not survive to eat. Lots of people today will eat to excess, not eat what is recommended by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and lack physical activity. As a result, many people are overweight. Currently, “33.9% of U.S. adults aged 20 and over are overweight, 35.1% are obese, and 6.4% are extremely obese” (Fryar, Carroll, & Ogden, 2014, para. 1). According to Nix, genetics also plays a role in our growing overweight population of kids as well as adults (2013). People have tried all kinds of methods to lose weight but fail to follow simple recommendations set by the USDA. The ChooseMyPlate.gov website makes it easy for individuals to log on and get these recommendation. We should pay more attention to our children’s school planners because this is what is being taught in schools today. Weight management is an important topic in nutrition because being overweight or very underweight pose serous health problems. Being overweight is a risk factor for, ”hypertention, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, arthritis and certain types of cancers”(Nix, 2013, p. 286). My mother was overweight almost all her life and developed type 2 diabetes.
Before taking this nutrition class I always referred to the food pyramid chart in planning meals for my family. The food chart is still good for showing how many foods you should eat from each food group. However, it is not personalized, it does not figure out the amount of calories you should eat based on your body mass index (BMI) and exercise is not included. According to Nix (2013), major factors in obesity are lack of exercise and an overall ...
... middle of paper ...
...style diet in maintaining good health. Lifestyle diets are diets that try to follow the USDA recommendations. ChooseMyPlate.gov website is just another tool that helps in maintaing a lifestyle diet. It is not a quick fix diet that is hard to maintain long term. I knew then that smoking and lack of exercise contributed to poor health. My dad who already had a heart attack by that time already taught me that. This course clarified these concepts that will help me in being a knowledgable nurse. Good nutritions plays a vital role in how my patients are doing!
Nix, S. (2013). Williams ' basic nutrition and diet therapy (14th ed.). St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier.
Fryar, C, Carroll, M, & Ogden, C. (2014). Prevalence of Overweight, Obesity, and Extreme Obesity. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_11_12/obesity_adult_11_12.htm
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The SNAP program or Supplementary Nutrition Assistance Program is a federal program founded and designed by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) and other state agencies to provide with nutritious and healthy meals to those in need or at a poverty level. SNAP is also designed to alleviate hunger in the United States.(usda.gov) This program was known as Food Stamps, but was recently changed to SNAP. This is one of the largest nutrition assistance programs in the US. The program has a standard budget of $133.50 a month per individual to provide optimal nutrition for those at or below poverty level.... [tags: Nutrition, Vitamin, Nutrient, Food]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- Live, Laugh….Eat Nutrition Guide for Adolescents Notes Nutrition education is often promoted among adolescents to prevent diabetes, obesity and induce healthier behavior change. Nutrition intervention programs are frequently reinforced by health educators or teachers to address the importance of healthier dietary practices among teenagers. These interventions are often emphasized due to the nutritional vulnerability of this group. Indeed adolescents’ intense nutritional requirements for growth, along with their naivety in regard to mass media, or the food industry’s marketing strategies, may engender transience.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Amino acid, Protein]
1289 words (3.7 pages)
- ... This is because not one food or food group contains everything you need to be healthy. For example, while broccoli provides a good amount of fiber, it lacks the vitamin A that is found in carrots. (3) Healthy eating means moderate intake of all foods: It was once said that “there are no good or bad foods, just good or bad habits” (Registered Dietitian Nutritionists). This means that no matter what kind of food it is, it can be a part of a healthy diet as long as it is consumed in moderation.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Health, Nutrient]
1203 words (3.4 pages)
- My Food Tracker The food tracker benefited me in so many ways. I total three days out and all calculated 4800 calories. The food tracker allowed me only 2000 calories a day and wanted me to target at least 150 min/week in physical activity. The recommendations for my calories were very direct and limited to only a certain amount that I could manage. It help me manage my daily food intake, inform me of the calories and fats I was placing into my body, and educated me on the need foods needed from the food pyramid.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Eating, Meal]
1407 words (4 pages)
- Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity Health is about creating a balance between input and output of energy and materials that are necessary for normal body growth, and the purpose of health is having a positive outlook for further survival, therefore abnormal nutrition practices have a significant role in an increase in non-communicable diseases. Todays, one of the biggest health concern is obesity that unfortunately is leading causes of death. According to World Health Organization (WHO), obesity is ‘abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health’ (Torres-Fuentes, Schellekens, Dinan, & Cryan, 2015).... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Health, Public health]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Choose My Plate.gov is a website that presents recommendations for a healthy diet and a healthy level of exercise. The organization united states department of agriculture is the creators of this website and dietary guidelines for Americans provide the information. Choose my plate is a website that is a recommended website to find your healthy eating style and build it throughout your lifetime. When people use choose my plate they see that everything you eat and drink matters. The right combination can help you be healthier now and in the future.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Health, Eating]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Everybody has problems with how they look, as in their facial structure, facial features, etc. Something that people struggle with the most is their weight. The most recent National Center for Health Statistics report indicates that 69.2 percent of Americans are considered “overweight” or “obese” and that the adult obesity rate remains greater than 33.8 percent overall. (4) What most people don’t know is that there is a Dietary Guidelines for Americans which tell you the amount of servings of each of the food groups that you should have daily, the guidelines also tell you what is healthy for you and what is not.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Trans fat, Saturated fat]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- ... Policy writers, which include nutrition scientists, policy experts, and communications experts, update the report to carry out those comments. There is also a peer-review step to conduct a confidential review of the document for errors and clarity of the translation of the evidence of the Advisory Committee report into policy language. More reviews of the policy document take place by Federal experts of both departments. Lastly, the policy document goes through review and approval by the Secretaries of the HHS and USDA.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Trans fat, Saturated fat]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- ... In order to understand why we have multiple food deserts in the NYC, we have to analyze how policy, environmental, and social factors affect eating behavior. Policy affects eating behavior by giving dietary recommendations, regulating food advertising and what can be sold, and subsidizing the food industries. For example, government invests money into large corporations and farms, so they can create the most amount of food at the lowest price (soy, corn). However, most of these food ends up in the stores as packaged snacks high in saturated fat, sugar, and calories (Kristof, 2008).... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Obesity, Eating]
1071 words (3.1 pages)
- In the article, “A Food Manifesto for the Future”, Mark Bittman makes his claim on how our American diet is unhealthy and unsafe towards our bodies and the environment as well. Within his piece, he includes multiple suggestions that could be implemented towards the foundation of a healthier, and safer diet. Within all these recommendations, Bittman states that, “When people cook their own food, they make better choices.” I decided to argue for this proposal, after personal experiences that I have had recently where I was able to see the difference between cooking at home, and eating out.... [tags: Nutrition, Cooking, Food, Water]
786 words (2.2 pages)