Mastitis is the inflammation of the mammary gland on bovines. In most cases it is produced by microorganism, invading and multiplying inside the udder. This bacteria population produces toxins that degrade and wound the udder. Mastitis could be Clinical and sub clinical. Over 100 kinds of bacteria are proven to cause Mastitis in both grades; also high temperatures are proven to cause a mastitis blemish. Because of this, mastitis rooted in infected population of cows is hard to determine (Schroeder, 2012).
The infection not only changes the nutritional value of the milk but also low milk production and, depending of the grade of the infection, the milk from that cow will no longer be marketable, representing time and money lost to the farmer (Schroeder, 2012).
There are two clear ways for a cow to get contaminated with mastitis: through the environment or contagiously from direct contact with milking equipment. And once cow contracts mastitis it is treated with antibiotics but also goes out from the milking program of that farm. So there is no way to find antibiotics in commercialized milk because this diseased cow’s milk never gets into the dairy national chain market (Schroeder, 2012).
If all these factors are mixed, the possibility that BST is the author of mastitis blemishes in a healthy herd seems to be remot...
... middle of paper ...
...o buy rBST milk. But this does not affect the market or the farmers in the country. A proof of this is that it is only used on 17% of the dairy cattle. The biggest dairy producers do not use the substance because genetics have done the work of rBST. All those cows are highly productive; there is no need for them to supplement their cows. (Citation)
rBST does not cause cancer, and the possibility of causing mastitis, with all the agents involved in its propagation, seems remote to me. I would also say that the biggest producers are taking good advantage of the anti rBST coalition. Typically people go directly for the label that says “hormone free”. The economic advantages of rBST are greater than without because less feed is needed and the production costs are cut. rBST has been argued since its approval and entitled with different effects that it just does not have.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- That is a good but complicated question No I feel that the government should not tell me what food to eat, but yes I did trust them to do their part that US has healthy food available. I learn I it not so it was just a thought is possible I am not eating healthy. What I mean is very complex and may not be able to get across everything so I am going to try to answer your question of Why or Why not. The government has FDA Food and Drug Administration or one part of their “Mission of the Unified Foods Program is to Protect and Promote Public” Health” and one of them is; “ensuring the safety of foods for humans...” (FDA) I will focus.... [tags: Food, Nutrition, Industry, Food processing]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- The Food and Drug Administration, commonly called the FDA, was established in 1906, and is the agency within the government that is responsible for protecting the public’s health by regulating all forms of drugs, vaccines, food, animal feed, and veterinary products. The long standing goal is to make sure that anything that is going into a living creature in the United States has been well tested and documented as being safe. Without this section of the government, we could still be living in an area where you would be an “elixir” from a street peddler to fix whatever is ailing you.... [tags: Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical drug]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- For consumers who take their health into consideration when eating, calorie postings on menus will greatly impact their decision when making a food selection. (Diets in Review) The Food and Drug Administration has finalized menu labeling rules that will require calorie information to be listed on menus and menu boards in chain restaurants. The rules can also apply to vending machines and similar retail food establishments. Alarmingly, Americans eat and drink almost one –third of their calories away from their residence.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Restaurant, Fast food]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of 1938 was passed not long after the accidental deaths of 100 people who consumed an untested version of a popular drug. It turned out that an additive in the drug was responsible for the poisoning of the 100 individuals. This new law was developed in the interest of the consumer and focused on ensuring that people knew exactly what was in the products they purchased, and that the ingredients were safe. As the food industry has grown into a multi billion-dollar industry, the task of ensuring all ingredients are safe for consumption has become a bit more complicated.... [tags: health hazards, laws, food coloring]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) The FDA has many responsibilities which include overseeing the production of safe foods and the manufacture of safe and effective drugs and medical devices. The FDA has responsibility for protecting the rights and safety of patients in the clinical trials of investigation medical products. The FDA also has to review and approve in a timely manner the safety and efficiency of new drugs, biologics, medical devices, and animal drugs. They have to monitor the safety and effectiveness of new medical products after they are marketed and acting on the information collected.... [tags: Food Drug FDA Essays]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- The US Food Drug Administration (FDA) recognized drug as a supplement (or a component of a supplement) that affect the structure or function of the body of man or animals and is used to diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent a disease in man or other animals. FDA This screen shot was taken from US Food Drug Administration official website According to FDA definition, many herbs should be defined as herbal drugs because many credible and recognized scientific studies have showed and demonstrated that herbs can treat, cure, and prevent many disease and conditions.... [tags: Alternative medicine, Herbalism, Pharmacology]
712 words (2 pages)
- Abolish the Food and Drug Administration The food and drug administration also known as the FDA ensures the protection of products and drugs sold daily. The FDA has been around as a protection agency for the United States Federal Government since 1906. The food and drugs they approve are not safe for the environment. In fact the approved food and drugs are a danger to animals and human life. Daily numerous of health risk are being caused by genetically mortified organisms. The FDA should be abolished because it harms health, safety and the environment.... [tags: it harms health, safety and the environment]
1676 words (4.8 pages)
- Look around your community and look; most people are living unhealthy tonic lives. Common diseases like diabetes, obesity and cancer are more prevalent than they were in the past by an astoundingly large amount. Any thinking person must ask themselves are they getting the most of life. Although people may attain riches, fame, and honor all of it is like garbage if you’re unhealthy. You cannot buy health and happiness. Even if someone is very successful it doesn’t mean that this person is happy and healthy.... [tags: Vitamin, Nutrition, Ascorbic acid, Vitamin C]
2487 words (7.1 pages)
- Each year in the United States, two million people develop deadly infections with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics designed for treating the specific infections. According to the Center for Disease Control, roughly twenty-three thousand people die annually, as a direct result of antibiotic-resistant infections. An additional fourteen thousand deaths occur from other conditions, such as the common cold, accompanied by an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria (“The Threat of Antibiotic Resistance”).... [tags: Antibiotic resistance, Bacteria, Antibiotic]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Summary of the Rule The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing the rule “Food Labeling; Revision of the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels”. This rule was created to provide updated nutritional information on labels, which is consistent with current data on associations between nutrients and chronic diseases and reflects current public health conditions in the United States. The FDA is proposing the rule to change how the nutrition information is introduced to consumers. There have been many changes related to nutrition regulations, which include the declaration of nutrients, the format of nutrition labeling, and permit for particular specified products to be exempt from nutriti... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Dental caries, Public health]
1340 words (3.8 pages)