According to Rachael Rettner, writer of “Why Is This Vaccine Not Working,” studies have found that the flu strain used in the nasal spray may become vulnerable to deterioration at higher temperatures. Flu strains are different variations of the flu. The FluMist uses a weakened version of the virus which grows only at lower temperatures. Vaccines are kept refrigerated, but there are still ways for it to get exposed to high temperatures. When a vaccine is unloaded from the shipment vehicle or when the it is taken out of the shipment box, it can become exposed. The more the FluMist comes in contact with heat, the less effective it becomes.
Julie Appleby, writer of “why was it effective one year but not now,” claims the FluMist went from incorporating 3 flu strands to 4 in 2012. The change was made to protect against 2 A strains and add coverage to a 2nd B strain. The nasal spray was more effective...
... middle of paper ...
... may include a runny nose, wheezing, headache, vomiting, and a fever. Side effects for the nasal spray in adults may include runny nose, a headache, sore throat, and a cough. Lastly, flu shot side effects may include soreness where shot was given, a low grade fever, and aches. These side effects don’t last nearly as long as the flu does.
Researchers still don’t know what went wrong with the FluMist this season. They speculate it could deal with the virus being exposed to higher temperatures when being unboxed. Another possibility is that changing the amount of influenza strains used from 3 to 4 could have changed the effectiveness. The flu can kill a person which is why it is important to get a flu vaccine regardless if they prefer the nasal spray or the flu shot. Finding out the reason why the FluMist is no longer effective will help improve vaccines in the future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Painting with Spray Paints Painting with spray paint can be an exciting and challenging technique to add to any artist’s repertoire. Spray paint comes in a number of formats, allowing the artist to select tight control or a spontaneous, loose flow of paint. Today’s spray systems are modern advancements on an old technique. Mouth atomizers have been used for many years, and the tools are still available. Technology has taken this to include airbrush systems and canned spray paints. All these tools expand the artist’s ability to create a diverse array of styles and techniques that brushwork could never imitate.... [tags: Art]
1047 words (3 pages)
- No Longer at Ease The story explores the conflicts in Obi Okonkwo's life. He is a young man from Eastern Nigeria who has to develop his career in the midst of all his problems. He is pressurised by the men of his tribe, the Umuofia Progressive Union, not to forget his traditions and to pay his dues to they helped him to be educated. He is also faced with the conflict of adhering to the Christian principle his father Isaac Okonkwo, a staunch Christian, raised him with and the seduction of the so-called “evil Western influences” on the younger Nigeria generation.... [tags: Chinua Achebe No Longer at Ease Essays]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- Introduction: This case involved a “Villa Boys” gang member who spray painted the letters “VBP” on a wooden fence. A second juvenile subject was with him at the time, who acted as a look-out. Evidence: Item 1: (1) “Rust-Oleum” can of white spray paint. Location: A single family home located at the corner of Hammond Street and Marengo Avenue. On the Hammond Street side, the house has a wooden fence along the north side of the property. Investigation: On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at approximately 1956 hours, Officer Reinbold #7400 and I (Officer Guerrero #3310) were dispatched to 1113 Marengo Avenue, in regard to a vandalism that just occurred.... [tags: Crime, Gang, Spray painting, Painting materials]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- Leadership is essentially the ability to motivate. An effective leader can motivate others toward reaching a common goal. Leaders are different than managers in that leaders inspire others to do the work needed while managers generally tend to manage the tasks associated with completing the goal. - In my own experiences, I have been both a leader and a manager in my professional life and find that leading can be difficult. Inspiring others to get on the same page and work together toward the same goal has its own challenges.... [tags: role model, effective communication]
928 words (2.7 pages)
- Group therapy is an important method that is commonly used by psychiatric professionals in the treatment of many types of mental illnesses. They consist of three or more people and are targeted at promoting psychological development and change. There are three different types of groups. The task group works by using tasks, such as activities and techniques, designed to help clients work toward desired goals. In addition, midrange groups work by allowing clients to share their thoughts and feelings with others who have learned to cope with similar problems over a longer period of time.... [tags: Effective Group Counseling]
1352 words (3.9 pages)
- Nasal congestion is a common reason to visit a clinic in the whole world. It is also another term for nasal blockage, runny nose or commonly called stuffy nose. It is a kind of disorder of upper respiratory tract which involved body sensory organ - nose. Nasal congestion can be defined as the blockage of nasal passages frequently due to membranes lining the nose becoming swollen from inflamed blood vessels. Nasal congestion can attack anybody from infants to elderly throughout the year, highest in the fall and the spring.... [tags: virus, allergy, blood vessels]
707 words (2 pages)
- Having read and studied the trial by Ittai Neuman, MD and Yehuda Finkelstein, MD titled “Narrow-band red light phototherapy in perennial allergic rhinitis and nasal polyposis” a meta-analysis was carried out to evaluate it. The trial was analysed under the following ten headings. Patient Characteristics There were strict guidelines that needed to be followed in terms of inclusion and exclusion of participants. For patients to be included they must have allergic rhinitis or nasal polyposis of which they must have daily symptoms and they must be between the ages of 12 and 68.... [tags: Alternative medicine, Medicine, Acupuncture]
3086 words (8.8 pages)
- The Use of Pepper Spray in Police Brutality Police brutality has become a growing trend in the United States. The tactics used to apprehend suspected criminals have become cruel and demeaning, not to mention life threatening. There have been numerous cases where police officers have intentionally brutalized people during attempted arrests. Pepper spray seems to be the new weapon of choice among police officers nationwide; it contains a dangerous chemical component known as OC (oleoresin capsicum).... [tags: Papers]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Military Draft No Longer Necessary Over forty years has passed since the United States inducted the last draftee through the Selective Service System. The Selective Service System is an independent agency of the United States, which gives the President the right or power to conscript men for military service. There have been different Acts passed by congress since 1917 that require men of various ages to register for service. Although, the name of each Act and the age requirements of the registries changed, the Acts were all similar in nature.... [tags: United States, Draft, Military]
1749 words (5 pages)
- A Nigger No Longer Caged I taught myself to read when I was twenty years old. The book I started with was I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou. I was raised in Huntington, West Virginia. Living in Huntington was like living at the bottom of a bottomless pit. The hills defining our valley town were four insurmountable walls, imprisoning me in that special hell reserved for children of miscegenation. My mother had broken one of Huntington's greatest taboos - she had mothered three children by a black man.... [tags: Graduate Admissions Essays]
1243 words (3.6 pages)