Over the recent four months in Communication 1402 class, I have addressed three formal speechs and completed a number of chapters in the corresponding textbook “Communication Works”. This course of Communication aims to provide general information what public speaking is and how to address a public speaking. Recalling back the experience during the processes of completing the Speech to Imform, Speech to Persuade, and Group Presentation, I will draw a conclusion about this course and these three presentations in five aspects, comprising my previous perception of public speaking before this course; learning from the Speech to Inform; the goal and evaluation of Speech to Persuade; learning from the Group Presentation; the most important thing learned from this course.
Before this course. I had learned some public speaking skills in the previous classes, such us how to manage my eye contact, facial expression, gestures and body. Having previous knowledge helpt me know the basic concpet of public speaking. However, when it came to public speaking, the first thing appeared in my mind, also the most serious problem to me, was the feeling of tension, fear and trouble. While performing in front of plenty of audience, every tiny problem, like fault, disorder in memory or listeners’ expression, would have a big influence on me, which implicated that I needed more trainings to overcome these difficulties.
My first formal presentation was the Speech to Inform. Through the researches, I studied more knowledge of global news, especially the patient protection and affordable care act, also known as Obamacare. Then, due to the peer review section, I was informed my oblivious weaknesses and strengths, which facilitated me to...
... middle of paper ...
...at public speaking anxiety is very common phenomenon that probably every speaker will have, no matter he/she is an expert speaker or a green hand. This recognition did relax my nervous and apprehension, and that leaded to a better performance. Before the speech of persuade, I attempted to reduce the public speaking anxiety and improved eye contact by doing more rehearsals. fortunately, that worked and helped me a lot.
I believe that, if I feel nervous in the future, I will not be afraid of this emotion like what I did before. This course provided me knowledge on how to make me relax. Little by little, I have gained the confidence of combating the fear of public speaking in this course. All these precious experience will continue benefiting me in the future. Thus, I am proud to say that I have fullfilled the course objectives and enhanced my public speaking skills.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am writing this final reflection journal with bittersweet feelings. I am so pleased to have taken this this course and had the opportunity to learn and grow from it as much as I have. I have enjoyed the coursework and curriculum immensely, for it was a great refresher from a previous course I took in high school, but it also challenged me and my brain. I absorbed a wide range of communication skills I didn’t even know existed. There is more than meets the eye or in this case heard in the ear when it comes to public speaking.... [tags: Learning, Skill, Psychology, Knowledge]
703 words (2 pages)
- Reflection Paper: Iran, a Martyrs Welfare State The article states that there are two groups in Iran; one that is ideologically in line with the Government and the second, those who receive the benefits. The former group would not join “The Green Movement”, due either apathy or political indoctrination. The second group would participate in an uprising, when their funding runs out, meaning these people are bought and paid for- is that true. Iran does have what could be termed a “welfare state”, there are varied programs in the Irani-an government to designed protect those from economic risk.... [tags: reflection paper]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- Following the Group speech that was given on November 15, 2013, I have been asked to write this reflection paper to address the nature of the speech and how I can improve. Upon reading the peer review sheets we received from the class following our speech I believe that we all improved since our last speech. Everyone seems to state the most important area for improvement was using filler words too much. I think we as a group seemed to have improved as far as talking towards the audience and using less filler words.... [tags: reflection paper and nature of the speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Prior to choosing Sleep Psychology as my topic for this course, I knew very little about the topic. I am currently enrolled in Psychology 101 and a small component of the course was learning about sleep psychology; however, after the two class meetings in which my Psychology class discussed sleep psychology, I was still interested in learning more about it. I decided on Sleep Psychology as my research topic for this class because I thought it was a very interesting and relevant topic with a lot of area to expand on my knowledge of the topic.... [tags: Psychology, Better, Learning, Sleep]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Other Toastmaster Experience: This year, I had the privilege of chairing our Evaluation Speech Contest. I also helped organize our club open house, where I served as the food committee chairperson; and I helped to promote our special event, “Still I Rise. A Recognition Ceremony,” which also was designed to attract new members. I secured at no cost, the venue used to host the “From Speaker to Trainer” workshop, which was held on June 19, 2010, in the City of Carson. Lastly, this past weekend, July 10, 2010, I worked the registration table at District One’s Toastmasters Leadership Institute.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- During the Enquiry based learning process, I have gained invaluable lessons on how to source relevant information on a chosen topic in a time effective manner. As I have been out school for ten years, I have found this paper to be particularly beneficial. I am finding tertiary learning overwhelming and struggle to keep up with my younger peers. They seem to already have a fair idea about academic formal processes and expectations, and I am still learning. However this paper has given me the tools and methods to gain some confidence in my academic writing.... [tags: Reflection]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Preparing a Speech Wendy Lawson SPC 205 Public Speaking Summer 2017 July 26, 2017 Public speaking gives one the ability to speak with confidence and convincing in a public setting. Public speaking gives one the tools to use for personal and professional growth. Public speaking is an interactive communication press. Public speaking requires more preparation and practice than other forms of communication. Becoming a public speaker will enhance your career as a student and employee. It will enhance your communication skills.... [tags: Rhetoric, Glossophobia, Public speaking]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- Public speaking will always be one of my biggest weaknesses in my life. It’s not the fear of a one sided conversation, it’s the public spot light. Over time I have learned to control this fear. I personally believe there are 3 key characteristics that are essential to effective communication; the first is having a clear, concise message. People need to understand what you are saying with little to no struggle on their behalf. This is the main point of a speech, you have something to say to me, I will listen to your message.... [tags: Public speaking, Public speaker, Rhetoric, Marine]
1832 words (5.2 pages)
- Summer Term Reflection Paper As I look back on the beginning of my journey to a better career and life I can remember the weeks and months leading up to the first day of class. I remember visiting the college and speaking with an advisor to decide exactly what it was I wanted to do, and the steps it would take for me to reach my goals. I recall talking with the advisor about the requirements for my General Education credits as well my need to take a preparatory class for algebra because I scored to low on the placement exam to be allowed to take the full college level math.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Over the years I have been a faithful fan of anything crime related; the anatomy of a crime, from the crime itself, to the investigation, and finally the court for trial and sentencing. I enjoyed the process. The internet became an interesting tool for me to learn all the different things I wanted to know about the subject of crime. I would see something in the media or on television but kept a neutral point of view about technology that was used on a program. Logically speaking, if a crime could be solved in 47 minutes and DNA results took weeks or months, not minutes to process than would it not make sense that real life crimes would be solved far quicker in the name of swift justice.... [tags: Criminology ]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- Light Is Essential For Human Impression
- The Basic Mechanical Design Of The Wright Brothers ' Engine
- Questions On The Course Of The Literature Review
- Different Elements Of The Brand Strategy
- How Delinquents Violate Social Norms And Still Maintain Positive Self Images Of Themselves
- Obamacare And Affordable Care Act