Female victims of sexual harassment in Egypt are usually blamed for bringing the abuse on themselves because of what they are wearing. Another misrepresentation is the notion that Egyptian women are overly sexual beings who must be constrained (Martin, 2010). Men think by following culture norms and religion, women should take care of what they are wearing. They think being veiled will keep women away from being sexually harassed.
Doing gender, which is the idea of practicing gender according to one’s sex, whether a female or a male. It is the practice of being feminine or masculine (West and Zimmerman 1987) plays an important role in the Egyptian society. Men express their masculinity and show it off when they harass a woman. It is horrible how a community thinks that harassing women is a way of doing gender and expressing masculinity. If women will not take any actions against sexual harassment, then men will see this as acceptable to harass a woman anytime without being punished. Therefore, it will negatively affect women as individ...
... middle of paper ...
...uivalent to over $2550 (Gamal El-Din, 2016).
Thinking of the puzzle or the pattern of both issues of sexual harassment and freedom of speech makes me long accepting some of the culture norms and religious beliefs that only serve my society. But keeps me puzzling about why as a woman I have to accept to be treated as an object? Why cannot Egyptians live in a democratic society, where everyone can express their own opinion like other democratic countries?
In conclusion, both issues addressed above have an impact on the Egyptian society. I have long accepted some of the culture and religious beliefs Egyptians have because of literature and evidences of how conservative Egypt is. However, I am still puzzled by why the revolution did not achieve freedom and equality, while that was its goal? There is no evidence or literature that back up the failure of the revolution.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sexual harassment in the workplace is a huge problem in recent history. It can happen to anyone and it can happen everywhere. It can affect all types of races, gender and age. Statistics today shows that more and more sexual harassment has become an issue due to the large number of cases presented. Mainstream media becomes consume covering sexual harassment because of the high profile cases. Sexual harassment becomes a topic on various TV shows, and on some major morning radio talk shows mostly everyday.... [tags: Sexual Harassment in the Workplace]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Have you ever witness someone in a workplace setting being abused sexually due to their type of sex. The majority of people who work in offices and workplace settings have said that they have witness first-hand harassment of the female sex from their the more dominated male sex (Johnson). Over the course of many generations, women have usually been seen as to stay in the home and only cook, clean, and take care of the kids. Usually, in these situations, the dominant male in the family is the bread winner and makes the money that the family needs to have to live a nice life off of.... [tags: Employment, Sexual harassment, Bullying, Abuse]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- Harassment has plagued the world for centuries. Why should the workplace be any different. Sexual harassment and workplace violence are not only of historical roots, but contemporary issues are still present in the workforce today. Managers are addressing and combating modern sexual harassment and workplace violence, however instances still occur (Robbins, Decenzo & Coulter, 2011). “Sexual harassment is defined as any unwanted action or activity of a sexual nature that explicitly or implicitly affects an individual’s employment, performance, or work environment” (Robbins, Decenzo & Coulter, 2011).... [tags: Sexual Harassment in the Workplace]
1413 words (4 pages)
- Sexual harassment is a violation of women's rights and a prohibited form of violence against women in many countries. Sexually harassing conduct causes devastating physical and psychological injuries to a large percentage of women in workplaces around the world. Harassment directed against women in the workplace by their supervisors, fellow employees, or third parties interferes with the integration of women in the workforce, reinforces the subordination of women to men in society, violates women's dignity and creates a health and safety hazard at work.... [tags: Sexual Harassment, Women's Rights]
2025 words (5.8 pages)
- Bullying and sexual harassment perhaps do not immediately come to mind when discussing school violence, however they are two of the most widespread and pervasive issues facing schools today. While the word “bully” brings to mind a harmless school age right of passage to many, research today shows that bullies often times have a number of family or social problems. Also, in today’s modern world, bullies may not merely shake down classmates for lunch money; they have found ways to hound their victims long after they have left the school grounds by using the internet.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Essays]
1894 words (5.4 pages)
- Sexual Harassment has been very problematic issue in the workplaces. It occurs everywhere in the world. Throughout the history, many women have suffered from unsolicited sexual behaviors, usually provoked by their employers. However, according to the article" The Complicated World of Same Sex Sexual Harassment", found on the website: <a href="http://www.ballardspahr.com/press/article.asp?ID=160,">http://www.ballardspahr.com/press/article.asp?ID=160,</a> the harasser can be of the same gender as the victim, and the victim can be also male or female.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Essays]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- Sexual harassment in the workplace is a very serious problem that must be dealt with effectively. Sexual harassment is defined as a form of sex discrimination, which is a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It involves unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, especially when submission to this conduct is made a term or condition of one's employment (Sexual Harassment). However, sexual harassment is not limited to sexual advances.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Court Cases]
1790 words (5.1 pages)
- Individual rights are being infringed on all the time in this country. The common law in this country protects against sexual assault and battery, but not sexual harassment. The 1994 Violence Against Women Act has issued guidelines for sexual harassment by the federal agencies but has not set laws to be enforced. These guidelines are supposed to be followed by men and women around our country. People living in the United States should feel safe and comfortable walking down the streets, in the office or in their schools, and that's the bottom line.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Essays]
1429 words (4.1 pages)
- Sexual Harassment in School Sexual Harassment in school usually occurs during passing, recess, or during lunch. Sexual harassment can range from a quick glance to a hoot or whistle. In many cases, one does not know that they are being harassed or harassing someone. Maybe a friend tells you a dirty joke or someone who you see everyday and who you do not know gives you an unusual smile. Do you feel offended by the joke. Are you uncomfortable with the person giving you a smile. Some may say that this is more of a paranoia problem and then just push it aside, but in most cases, it is not.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Essays]
604 words (1.7 pages)
- Sexual Harassment and Rape Cheryl, sixteen, trainer for her high-school girl's volleyball team and photographer for the school newspaper, arrived at the gym at about 9:00 Saturday for a volleyball tournament. She left her purse and equipment with friends while she went to the restroom. When the game started and she hadn't returned to the team's bench, her friends went to look for her. Her raped body was found behind some stage backdrops on the balcony of the school auditorium(Booher 12). Sexual harassment and rape are prevalent in all aspects of society.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Essays]
1370 words (3.9 pages)