For thousands of years dogs and cats have been consuming raw, live food, which includes meat, fruits, and vegetables. Dogs have always been omnivores, eating raw meats, fruits, berries, and vegetables; it is their natural diet. Whereas cats which have always been carnivores which are meat and fish eaters. It has only been within the last 100 years or so that we started feeding our pets “bagged” dog food. Processed bagged or canned pet food became a much easier way of feeding our pets that was quick, less messy and less costly, where they can survive, but perhaps not thrive. This bagged and processed food is mostly fillers and contains very little nutrition value; it is just another easy cash out for these big brand companies.
The founding father of a back-to-basics raw food diet for dogs and cats originated with Doctor Ian Billinghurst, an Australian veterinarian. Dr. Billinghurst noticed that his patients [dogs] were developing skin allergies, diabetes, kidney failure, cardiac...
... middle of paper ...
The BARF Diet, Nd. February 26, 2014
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. “Parasites-Toxoplasmosis.” CDC Home.
Graves, Amy. “Call of the Wild.” Precaution.org Web Page
The Boston Globe, March 16, 2003. Web. February 26, 2014
N.A., Junes 1, 2011, February 26, 2014
Lee, Elizabeth. “Raw Dog Food: Dietary Concerns, Benefits and Risks.” WebMD Pet Health.
WebMD. N.d. Web. February 26, 2014
Lonsdale, Tom. Raw Meaty Bones: Promote Health. NSW, Australia: Rivetco P/L, 2001. Print.
"Risks Outweigh Benefits of Raw Meat-Based Diets for Pets Researchers Review Existing Evidence on Raw Food Diets." States News Service. N.p., 2 Jan. 2014. Web. 26 Feb. 2014
Schultze, Kymythy R. The Ultimate Diet: Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats. Descanso, CA: Affenbar Ink, 1998. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pets are extremely faithful buddies, casual psychiatrists, and snuggle pals and just like humans, need nourishment in the right proportion, shelter, fitness services and medications, security and consistent exercise to develop both mentally and physically. For this very reason, there is the need to know the important designer pet accessories designed specially to compliment your pet appearance, health, fitness, and to foster the sound relationship, friendship and connection between you and your mongrel as with your families, so as to guide you through the supplies selection process for your beloved pets.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Stanley Coren, Pets]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Pets can be very both physically and emotionally beneficial to their owners. Living with and caring for them can also be a great experience and very entertaining. Even browsing YouTube, thousands of pet owners record their little friend's amusing tricks and humorous incidents to share with the world. Although these videos or pictures can encourage your desire for a similar companion, many details to keeping an animal of that sort may not be evident. There is a huge variety of species available, from tarantulas to munchkin cats, with many ways to obtain them, but not everyone can handle a giant arachnid or endure changing kitty litter.... [tags: Pets]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- In recent times, there have been far too many recalls regarding store bought dog food. People do not realize what they are actually feeding their beloved pet. Unhealthy store bought dog food, and the negative effects they bring about, can result in owners switching over to homemade dog food. Most people want what is the best for their cuddly best friend. There are many reasons why homemade dog food is a better choice than store bought, such as homemade dog food being healthier, it has a multitude of differing tastes, one has the ability to monitor exactly what their pet consumes, and it's also financially cheaper, which most anyone can get behind.... [tags: pets, nutrition, ingredients]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- Would you like to live a happy and productive life. Then get pets. I must admit it is hard to believe that domesticated animals can promote mental and physical health, but many studies have shown that they can. People who own pets have been known to lead longer and happier lives than those without them. As we get older, we become less active. The more inactive we become, the higher our risk of death. We therefore need something in our lives to keep us busy so we don’t die prematurely, and a pet is just the thing to do it.... [tags: Pets Animals]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- Simin Ling Professor Taylor Harrison Rhetoric 105 23 April 2016 Raising pets helps kids to be considerate Have you ever had a pet. As we know, more and more families have pets in their homes nowadays regardless of which country. Data showed an estimated 82.5 million U.S. households own at least one pet in their home. The American Pet Products Association, which is also called APPA, claimed that pet ownership by household in the U.S. has risen from just 56% in 1988, when the first APPA National Pet Owners Survey was conducted, to 68% as of 2013-2014.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Ownership]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Argumentative Breast is Best If one chooses to have a child, shouldn’t he or she be obligated to do what is best for that child. There are many important choices to make for that child, and some may be more difficult than others. Hospital or home birth. Pampers or Huggies. Crib or family bed. But when it comes to feeding, the choice is clear. Breast-feeding is the best choice that mothers can make for themselves and their child. Not everyone agrees that breast-feeding is the best choice.... [tags: breast-feeding]
986 words (2.8 pages)
- Problem Statement Overpopulation of pets is growing in the US by the numbers each day. Current Situation According to the article “Pet Statistics” by the ASPCA estimates there are 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats owned in the United States. It is impossible to determine the number of stray dogs and cats, but the ASPCA estimates there are 70 million cats alone that are strays in the US (“Pet Statistics”). The overpopulation of dogs and cats live either on the streets and die each day, they live in a shelter and try to get adopted, but even then they die.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Pet adoption]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- To begin with, infantile anorexia refers to a particular feeding disorder, which mostly develops between the 6th month of a child’s life and the 3rd year (Merwin, 2010). Its main characteristics include refusal to feed, refusal to consume sufficient quantities, inability of regulating fullness and hunger, more interest in surroundings than eating, distractibility, as well as growth deficiency. Notably, feeding disorders among infants, as well as toddlers have nowadays become more common as the assessment and diagnostic criteria are specialized.... [tags: Babies, Toddlers, Eating Disorder, Feeding]
1741 words (5 pages)
- Evolution has insured that most women are biologically equipped to give birth and then nourish their offspring for a period of time by producing milk. At some point, young humans stop receiving food from their mothers’ bodies and learn to consume plants and/or animals found in their environments in order to meet their nutritional needs. Within most other species of mammals, this transition happens at roughly the same age and to roughly the same range of foodstuffs for all individuals (Dettwyler 1999).... [tags: Infant Feeding]
5639 words (16.1 pages)
- Breast-feeding is nutritionally, emotionally and physically superior for a mother and her child. “Human breast milk is not standard nor is it interchangeable with cow’s milk. It is a dynamic fluid that changes in composition to meet the needs of the baby as it grows” (“Giving your Baby... Diet.” par. #10). Breast milk contains growth factors and antibodies which stimulate the growing baby and protect it from illness such as diarrhea, ear infections, rashes, allergies, asthma, skin problems, pneumonia, respiratory illness and other serious illnesses.... [tags: Comparing Breast Feeding and Formula ]
1353 words (3.9 pages)