There are advantages and disadvantages to using one type of layout over another. There also differences between the two types of layouts. Below is a discussion on the differences between the two and the advantages and disadvantages of both.
A fixed website layout has fixed width, and the components inside it have either percentage (fixed) widths where the container element is set to not move regardless to whether the screen resolution adjusted by the user (Knight, 2009). Fixed layouts begin with a specific size as determined by the Web designer; they remain that width, regardless of the size of the browser window viewing the page. Fixed layouts give the designer more control over how the page will look, and are preferred by designers with a print background since it permits the designer to make minimal adjustments to the layout while retaining consistency across browsers and platforms. (Kyrnin, 2015)
On the other hand, a liquid (fluid) website layout differs due to the magnitude of components inside with percentage widths that can adjust to the user’s screen resolution (Knight, 2009). Liquid layouts are based on percentages consistent with the current browser window 's size. They contra...
... middle of paper ...
Liquid Layouts. Liquid layouts limit the amount of control over the width of the certain elements of the page, resulting in columns of text that are either too wide to comfortably scan, or words on smaller browsers not showing up as clearly. Liquid layouts present problems when a fixed width element is placed inside a liquid column; if the column is rendered without enough space for the image, some browsers will increase the column width, while other browsers will cause overlaps in text and images in order achieve the correct percentages (Kyrnin, 2015).
In conclusion, a web designer has a couple of options to choose from when creating a layout for a website. Those options include a fixed layout or a liquid layout. Whichever option that the designer chooses, the ultimate goal should be to create a website that is aesthetically pleasing, usable, and functional.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There 's an emerging trend in website design. Many have switched from building a website that has depth and third-dimension elements toward a stripped-down version that resembles a flat, single-surface viewing experience. This flat design is one of the hottest trends in web design to pop up across the web in 2016. But, is this one of those trends that is going to spread like wildfire and then burn itself out, or is it here to stay. Let 's look at why this web design model is currently trending and what the future holds for flat design.... [tags: World Wide Web, Website, Design, Web design]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- Adaptive Responsive web design Web design is a process of conceptualizing, planning, and building a collection of electronic files. It determines the layout, structure, text styles, images, graphics, colors, and use of interactive features that deliver pages to site visitors. The degree of customization included in the website design will determine the speed and cost of getting the site up and running. The web development process can be divided into three main components: server-side coding, client-side coding and database technology (Design Your Website, 2014).... [tags: World Wide Web, Web design, Display resolution]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- There are many different types of web design, from those built using website templates and 'build your own ' site building applications to complex content managed and e-commerce web designs such as those used by big brand names like Amazon, eBay and Tesco. Some companies, even some big name companies, have unprofessional looking and badly designed websites. Some have amazing looking websites but because of their high graphical content and minimal text content can take an age to load, are not user friendly and do not provide what the visitor wants.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web design, Internet, Website]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- The feature Heading 1 and the body text inserted into my CSS. It changes the font of my heading and body text as that it can be inserted into my template to go on all pages so that the text is consistent. I decided to do this as it would save me time from having to change the font on each page. I felt that this had a positive impact on the web page because webpages look more professional because they are consistent. The aim of all these pages is to provide information with the best places in Newcastle upon Tyne visited by tourists and contact details.... [tags: Web page, World Wide Web, Website, The Reader]
2375 words (6.8 pages)
- Barber’s Business Solution has been tasked to assist Harrison Kirby in moving his traditional retail business into an online store. Mr. Kirby owns a local golf course and wants to take his business to the next level by gaining a presence in the digital world. A social media presence will also be benefit to market Mr. Kirby’s golf course and aid in improvements based on existing customer’s feedback. After doing thorough research you will find recommendations for website design, a logistics provider and a Customer Relationship Management Tool to introduce an ecommerce strategy.... [tags: Website, Web design, Marketing, Customer service]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- The very best practices for web design keep progressing gradually. There are no set rules while making an internet site. The appearance that the client needs, the functionality of the site and the business requires all play a vital role in the design of the website. Though many of the things are not absolute, there are certain things that are essential while making websites. The website will not be complete if any of these aspects is not there. These basics can play a major part in helping your website rank well in search results.... [tags: World Wide Web, Website, Web design]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- Primus Web Site Design The goals of the Primus Web site are to retain existing customers, draw new ones and lower Primus' customer support costs. To meet these goals the Web site is being designed around a multi-point value package, described below. Value Package The components of the value offering are: 1) Stress-free experience for site visitors and customers 2) Professional quality research 3) Readily available quotes, available via a variety of media 4) Tools to allow customers to manage their portfolios 5) Customized advisory services 6) Online investment "workshop" experiences Service Selection Process During the previous three quarters Primus selected service offerings based on avail... [tags: Web Design]
1338 words (3.8 pages)
- The programming Creative web design development languages and frameworks pattern for 2016 seem to be going more frontend development over after sales development. Below is just a simple record of what you should pay attention to and consider enhancing information on. Languages and Platforms Creative web design development PHP 7 is the newest edition of PHP. Big websites like Face book or MySpace, Search engines and the apple company use PHP. PHP 7 is also two times quicker than the first edition 5.6 - this will have a large step up from CMS techniques like Word Press and Drupal.... [tags: World Wide Web, Website, Web design, PHP]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- According to Eccher (2015, p.7), there exist three web-design philosophies as it relates to the functionality of a website: usability, multimedia, and mortised. Usability refers to the ease to which a user is able to navigate a website, find information, process requests, and/or perform certain functions. Multimedia defines how effective websites uses animation, audio, video, and graphics to communicate its message to users (Eccher, 2015, p. 12). A mortised website combines the best of both worlds by presenting a website that is not only usable to its target audience, but has is aesthetically pleasing through the use of multimedia.... [tags: Web browser, World Wide Web, Website, Web page]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Introduction The first thing that comes to mind on hearing "a compelling website" is "a beautifully designed website with hues of colours and images" a piece of art. That is exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I sat down to design the website. A couple of weeks later I was probably more elated than Leonardo Da Vinci would have been after completing his master piece. The website was adjudged 4th in the Asia Pacific region (Region 10) IEEE Web Design Contest 2003 in the first time entrants’ category… that isn’t as bad as it sounds… Almost half a decade later the website is absolutely the same… not due to my artistic brilliance… but because it just didn’t work out… Lessons learnt…... [tags: Website Design]
1065 words (3 pages)