Slide #1 (Title): I would first like to introduce myself by saying that I am sixteen, I live in a beautiful house in sunny Arizona and today, I hope to shed light on a topic that is so rarely discussed for fear of offending and/or hurting someone 's feelings, obesity. The simple truth is i’m overweight, I 've spent a long time ignoring the problem that I had obviously caused. When I ran up hill or walked up stairs I would be out of breath, It 's not easy to admit, but it was the life I was living. I went to the doctor and indeed, I was out of shape, had an unhealthy diet and was overweight. Now I realize just how many people share the same problems I faced, children and adults alike, how many people who don’t understand how being obese or overweight can truly change and affect their life, I want people to know the dangers they face if they continue with this unhealthy track of life and what we can do to make it better.
Slide #2 (Problem Overview): Being obese or overweight is defined by the technical definition of, excess fat on the body. Yet, this is such a broad term, what is excess fat? Don’t we need fat in our bodies? The answer to these questions is most definitely yes, everyone 's body uses and needs fat to run an effective system; But if the body is getting an intake of too much fat, it uses what it needs and stores the rest. This is the “excess” fat on the body, the fat the body is not using and just storing. This excess fat on the body can lead to monumental changes in our lifestyle with our family and friends, our health, and our mood on a day-to-day basis; we need to take action immediately or else we might start to see a reverse in life expectancy or increased chances of life long illnesses, the sort of things t...
... middle of paper ...
...e can all but fix this problem by just doing two things, educating children about their health and putting a tax on fatty/sugary foods we can slowly change the world. Children will learn about healthy eating habits in school, about exercise, and continue a path of healthy living, passing it on to their children and grandchildren. Adults will start to choose fresh produce because it can now fit inside their budget, the lower price will increase demand dropping the price even further. People will start to improve eating habits and make more educated choices, children and adults alike. We can make a difference in hundreds of people 's lives, drop the rate of heart disease and diabetes, and increase the world 's life expectancy. Just like I realized I needed to take a step in the right direction, we all need to, we need to take the first step, the step to a better future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sexual assault is one of the most offensive and depraved crimes that exist in our society today. The physical and psychological toll that this act has on its victims is as incalculable as it is incomprehensible. A sexual assault in Canada is defined as all incidents of unwanted sexual activity, including sexual attacks and sexual touching. Victims of these acts reported feeling angry, confused, frustrated and fearful. The General Social Survey (GSS) on Victimization shows that young women and girls are at a greater risk for victimization, making them especially vulnerable between the ages of 15 and 24.... [tags: Sexual assault in Canada]
2514 words (7.2 pages)
- The Hurting People of the Wuthering Heights The dark, twisted pathways of Emily Bronte’s the Wuthering Heights lead many of the characters into a chaotic cycle of pain. Some experience a life where sadness meets happiness, and dreams turn into reality. Interestingly, this reality remains uncertain as does the very title “Wuthering” that suggests storms and difficulty. The characters all physically know one another, but mentally, they forget to understand what it means to know someone 's élan vital; the creative force within an individual.... [tags: Wuthering Heights, Catherine Earnshaw]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- Social Networking: Helping or Hurting. As of this year, every three in four adult users online use social networking websites. The internet is gradually becoming an essential asset in what we do on a day-to-day basis. Based on articles in chapter four of Exploring Language, social networking, a cyber revolution, modernizes the English language, allows for better self-expression and face to face interaction. Although social networking sites provide a significant amount of resources exercised in everyday life, used in excess can lead to “self centeredness” and distracting people from living in the moment.... [tags: Social network service, Internet, MySpace]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- Feelings of Rejection Discuss a time when you were rejected. This time when you were rejected should be something that was emotionally upsetting to you because the time you were rejected had important meaning to you. After the loss of my husband, my mother-in-law and I had disagreements that ended our relationship and I felt emotionally upset and rejected by her because of all the things she said. In addition, another incident was having an argument with my brother and he basically rejected me when I needed him the most.... [tags: Emotion, Feeling, Feelings, Psychology]
971 words (2.8 pages)
- Caffeine is the most abused drug in the world. Many people wake up, and start there day with some sort of caffeine. Some it is for the energy boost, and to help them stay awake and focused. Others it is for the addictive crave. It is the most popular drug in the United States. Caffeine is in almost everything such as, sodas, over-counter medication, prescription drugs, cigarettes, foods, etc. The most consumed sources of caffeine are coffee and tea, and it [caffeine] can be harmful on your health, as well as addictive.... [tags: Coffee, Tea, Caffeine, Drug Abuse]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- 28 percent of students in grades six through twelve in the U.S. experience bullying. Bullying can be defined as hurting, intimidating, or persecute someone, who is usually weaker. Bullying is aggressive and repetitive. An imbalance of power is common in bullying, the bully will usually use their power, whether it be physical strength, or access to information that could harm someone to hurt other people. However, both children that are bullied and bully others may grow up to have lasting problems.... [tags: hurting, intimidating, persecuting]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Is Social Media Hurting Our Kids. Is social media helping or hurting our kids. Has social media become our new babysitter. Is social media ruining our kid’s social skills. Because parents are stressed with work and family relationships, they are finding it harder to have focused time with their children. Electronic devices coupled with social media, texting, and tweeting is our new nanny. The rapid expansion of social media, smartphones, and digital devices is making a dramatic change in the character our kids in school and at home.... [tags: Mobile phone, Addiction, Adolescence]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- Cause of Hamlet's Distractions: Feelings and Passions Throughout Shakespeare's tragedy Hamlet, feelings and passion are an enormous distraction for the main character Hamlet. Hamlet tends to act as though he were an adolescent rather than a grown man. He acts very immature, sarcastic, and takes action, before thinking it out, in the heat of anger. The abilities to love, control one's actions, and to subdue one's depression are signs of becoming mature however, Hamlet, a grown man, has a difficult time controlling these abilities.... [tags: Shakespeare Hamlet Essays]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- Feelings of Incompetency In my experiences at the Writing Resource Center, I have found that the biggest area of concern that I have run into is the feeling that I am an ineffective tutor as far as tutoring the students that come in search of writing assistance. I feel that I am a very inadequate means of relief for these people, yet they still come to me for help. In this paper, I will explore these thoughts and try to find out what it is that makes me feel so ineffective. In recent discussions with my peers at the Writing Resource Center, I have found that, though these feelings of inadequacy are somewhat consistent throughout the center, I feel that my feelings are a bit more strong whe... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
1540 words (4.4 pages)
- Losing Someone The world seems to stand still when you are told. That feeling you have never felt before, of total sadness. You feel faint and dazed as if you are falling or dreaming. You were told this was going to happen, but you could never be prepared for it. You don't know what to say, you are totally speechless. You burn up, feel dizzy but no tears will come. You have to get out of there, to escape, runaway anything to make this feeling fade. You just don't want to believe it had happened after everything.... [tags: Papers]
457 words (1.3 pages)