King Louis XIV can be credited as a significant contributor to the fact that Paris is one of the most influential fashion cities in the world, for he recognized the importance of luxury goods to the economy, bringing the textile trade under the control of the royal court. Consequently, the highest quality materials were found in France, encouraging seamstresses and tailors to establish themselves there. So in 1858, British born dressmaker Charles Frederick Worth opened the first prestigious haute couture house in Paris, leading to the establishment of Le Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture in 1868. This law was set to determine what distinguished a couture house in an attempt to regulate the augmentation of houses and more importantly as a method to protect France’s historic reputation...
... middle of paper ...
...t haute couture, Paris and New York may never have become fashion capitals and although haute couture is no long profitable, I believe it will always be an important stage for designers to showcase their innovation, skills, imagination and foreward thinking. “Couture is a showcase for a designer’s most outrageous ideas, where budget is no limit to ambition”. (Marriott, Hannah, "What Is Haute Couture – And Why Does It Matter?", The Guardian, 2016). “Sometimes, it’s not that wearable because it’s really the most extreme inspiration of fashion. And thanks to this experiment, after, you can do something commercial.” (Renzo Russo in "Haute Couture—What’s The Point?", Fashion Unfiltered, 2016). Which is why I would argue that haute couture and the fashion cities are still relevant as hierarchal hierarchical structures within the global economy of the twenty-first century.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Fashion Stylists vs. Fashion Designers Fashion stylists and fashion designers have some similarities, but the differences are very evident. Fashion stylists hold the job title of someone who selects the clothing for published editorial features, print or television advertising campaigns, music videos, concert performances, and any public appearances made by celebrities, models or other public figures. Fashion designers simply create garments to be worn and purchased by the general public. Fashion stylists unlike fashion designers will always be in demand.... [tags: Fashion]
605 words (1.7 pages)
- Fashion is an essential part of everyone’s life, you can’t walk around naked, it’s a violation of the law. There are many different elements that go into the clothes you select off the racks at department stores and specialized boutiques. The selection process is an essential part of personal fashion. Ever wonder why when entering a beloved store in the mall all of the stores are featuring the same color pallets. How about the styles one will find on the racks. Where do these styles come from and who decides they’re the trend to follow.... [tags: fashion]
1907 words (5.4 pages)
- Fashion is an evolving subject. Fashion Photography, as Fashion itself has transformed too. The way Fashion Photography has changed a lot to what it was and what it is now. And yes it would have changed as a lot has transformed through the years of fashion. Fashion Photography’s meaning and representation has changed in a way that the image represents something that sometimes is not realistic, Photography as an illusion. Fashion Photography has changed in the way we look at it know, it has changed gender issues, sexuality, ethnicity and the way the body has been portrayed.... [tags: Fashion, Fashion Photography, ]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Every year, a new trend emerges that sparks a revolution. A revolution that not only gets rid of the old but brings in the fresh new thing. All across the globe, trends constantly change and the average appearance of a human being is never the same year after year. Celebrities, stylist, weather, and even technology influence these trends. Overall, just about anything can influence a trend to start. And the change of clothing will result from it. This trend or change is clothing is called fashion.... [tags: Clothing, Fashion, Fashion capital, Shorts]
1579 words (4.5 pages)
- Fashion is everything to society and the media. The fashion industry has transformed into a necessity in the life of people. Everyone wants to look good, feel fabulous and feel as if we belong with everyone else. The envy and desire to wear certain things and look a certain way all come, from wearing the latest fashion handbags, accessories, dresses, shoes, and the list goes on. But, when is considering fashion into an individual’s life going too far to the extreme. Many do not consider the whereabouts of fashion materials and how the environment is affected by the mere existence of certain garments.... [tags: Fashion ]
2138 words (6.1 pages)
- Conclusion Although numerous previous researches covered the challenges of building fashion brands, this research aimed to find out much deeper information to present challenges of building fashion brands in Shanghai, a modern city of China. This research was a explore research. The key data were from primary research. Both quantitative approach and qualitative approach were adopted. The entire participants were selected through a convenient sample for the reason that it is easy to access to the respondents.... [tags: Fashion]
2073 words (5.9 pages)
- Section A: INTRODUCTION Fashion industry is always the topic that draws attention of every people of us at anywhere and anytime. Everyone becomes so familiar with fashion that he or she thinks that fashion is just simply a fashionable and sophisticated style. However, life in a modern community is far more controlled by fashion industry than many people realize; it affects not only clothing, but almost every aspects of our daily life. When many people think of the fashion industry, they often think of the association of four main areas such as: retail, manufacture, design and advertising.... [tags: Fashion]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- What is Fashion. Fashion is a general term used to describe a style of clothing or practice used by people around the world. Fashion refers to anything that is a trend. Self-presentation is the most direct noticeable marker of fashion. Throughout history we have seen many changes in clothing, from the color, to the material used to make it. We have also seen the style in which clothing is made change drastically. Fashion communicates meanings that have individual and social significance. Society, cultures, gender and even political authority have impacted fashion over the years.... [tags: Fashion ]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Right now I am going to school for Fashion Design and Retail Management. After I graduate I plan on opening my own little boutique. The general employment outlook in your area (how likely are you to find a job in the next 2-5 years in this career). The difference in this question is that I don’t plan on working for anyone. I want to work on my own designs and work patenting my own name for my designs, opening my own shop with the help from my family. This is something that has been a dream of mine, and something that I have always wanted to do ever since I have been in high school.... [tags: Fashion]
566 words (1.6 pages)
- After I knew that what I should do for my programme of study, I set the objective to arrange the time line and research for gain the information of this project. Started from research about fashion and trends because I didn’t finish Bachelor’s degree in Fashion, so I need to know some information about to be useful for my project. The first research that I did in the first semester is about writing the diary to arrange the time and what I should do in the first fifteen weeks. Counting from the first week, I had plan to see the fashion show of London Fashion Weekend in London to get some experience about fashion, trends and some of exhibitions.... [tags: Fashion]
536 words (1.5 pages)