The film Family Weekend was not given a fair shake. Family Weekend is story of a dysfunctional family. Eldest daughter Emily comes up with the plan of kidnapping her parents in order to save her broken family. Emily is a driven girl who is an accomplished jump-roper. Her siblings consist of her older brother Jackson (Eddie Hassell) who is openly gay, her younger sister Lucinda (Joey King) who is movie obsessed, and her youngest brother Mickey (Robbie Tucker) who has the perfect memory. Along with Emily’s crazy siblings she also has two self-absorbed parents, Samantha (Kristen Chenoweth) and Duncan (Matthew Modine). The bases of the film story are surround by the problems that go along with Emily kidnapping her parents. Critics bashed this independent film without looking deeper into what the film had to offer. The actors did a remarkable job of bringing emotional depth to the story. The cliché story line was made unpredictable by its extreme characters. This film also portrayed a good moral message that we most often forget. This film has a lot to offer and for critics that do not agree I ask that you carefully look at the points that I am about to make and then reassess your decision on this movie.
Although Stephen Whitty suggests that Family Weekend “tries too hard to be edgy”, the actors give their best performances to show us all their emotions during the movie. For instance in the scene where Olesya Rulin’s character, Emily reveals the secret that her brother Jackson (Eddie Hassell) is in fact not gay. Hassell’s character discloses why he felt the need to pretend he was gay for such a long time, which was so his parents would notice him. This incident reveals how Emily is not the only child feeling disregarded...
... middle of paper ...
...s trying to make her family normal. It is not until the conclusion that she realizes a much greater message than wanting her family to be normal. For example when she confesses she is the queen freak; she is trying to be herself and that her family will never be normal. The moral of the story is that family is family and not everyone may be normal and we should embrace the differences.
Family Weekend film is a film that should be shown more appreciation. The cast showed emotional depth in many instances throughout the progression of the film. The story line and extreme characters were unpredictable, which made it so erratic. The moral messages portrayed in the film are what make the movie audience connect so well with the movie. I ask that you take all the points I have made and take a look at the film in another point of view. Give family Weekend another chance.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Before viewing this film, I’m not certain what to expect out of it. From the trailer I can say that it is going to be a documentary type of movie, by the way it is filmed and how it is through his point of view. I cannot convey exactly what the whole movie will be like, however I can unquestionably tell that it will be comical. Furthermore, it is going to teach me a great deal about the Indian culture that I don’t know. Forever, I’ve known that their culture has arranged marriages, but I don’t know what it is like or how they go amongst doing it.... [tags: Marriage, Love, Film, Arranged marriage]
703 words (2 pages)
- Whitewashing in America has been pointed out at almost every turn, yet there are still those who would argue that whitewashing isn’t a problem here. One of their most used reasons behind the claim is that, as it is America, a predominantly white country, they are just playing to their audience. The best way to get people to want to go see a film, is to give them someone to relate to, so why not make the cast of a movie in a predominantly white country, predominantly white. The audience won’t want to go see a film with people of color in them or that are set in a different country, because it doesn’t have any bit of it that relates to them, white people who live in America.... [tags: Black people, White people, United Kingdom]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- Moving weekend. These two words have defined my life several times since my pilgrimage to Colorado. My first few years here were chaotic, unknown, and completely spontaneous. For someone who likes control, a concrete plan at least two weeks in advance, and a generous helping of consistent routine, my first days, weeks, years, where I was but a nomadic, semi-"homeless" wanderer were met with the most challenging and illuminating moments I have yet encountered. As my husband and I prepared for the next chapter in our short story of a marriage, we were welcomed by several emotions.... [tags: Suffering, Pain, Weekend, Workweek]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- The movie Family Stone takes place during the holiday season when all the children return home for Christmas. Everett Stone is bringing home his girlfriend Meredith whom he plans to ask to marry him on Christmas day. Upon arriving home Everett’s siblings Amy, Ben, Thad, and Susan and parents Kelly and Sybil were not excited that Meredith was there. Throughout the movie Meredith struggles to fit in with the family and her relationship with Everett starts to suffer. Amy gives Meredith the most grief and makes it hard for Meredith to fit in with the family.... [tags: Family, Christmas, Sibling, Marriage]
1838 words (5.3 pages)
- In the movie The God Father the corleone family is made up six members before marrying and having children, all which play a distinctive role in the movie. The Corleone crime family is one of the Five Families operating in New York and in other parts of the United States. Beginning with Vito Corleone also known as Don Corleone and the Godfather which is the founder and head of the Corleone family and Mama corleone, a loyal wife and loving mother, followed by their children Michael Corleone the youngest son, who had no plans to join the families businesses but abolished his former plans and ended up being his father’s main man, Sonny Corleone, Vito’s oldest son who is described as hot-headed,... [tags: Corleone family, movie analysis, crime family]
1807 words (5.2 pages)
- This weekend, Edna and George Appiah are getting married. The couple met 4 years ago in Toronto, Ontario. They have been dating for a year and have been courting for three years. After 3 years of saving up, George was finally able to save up to buy Edna’s dowry from her parents. George went to his mother to tell his mother that he was ready to marry Edna as is customary in the Akan tradition. His mother then told his father and George’s father was able look into Edna’s family to determine if there was anything that was unsatisfactory.... [tags: Marriage, Wedding, Family, Wife]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- Madea’s Family Reunion In the beginning of the movie Madea’s Family Reunion by Tyler Perry, we start off with Lisa waking up with flower pedals leading up to a bath with professional violinist playing in the background. What seems to begin as a story of richness and happiness soon becomes the opposite. Lisa is engaged to marry Carlos, an investment banker. Carlos has an abundant amount of money that he uses to get the things he wants. We find out that this rich man is in fact not rich at heart because he regularly beats Lisa.... [tags: Family, Marriage, Mother, Father]
1501 words (4.3 pages)
- Susana Vique-Kearney DISCOURSE ANALYSIS OF FAMILY INTERACTIONS Annotated Bibliography Burnham, Denis. 2002. What 's New, Pussycat. On Talking to Babies and Animals. Science. Volume American Association for the Advancement of Science. Downloaded from www.sciencemag.org on July 28, 2014. Denis Burnham is a professor and Director of the MARCS Auditory Laboratories at the University of Western Sydney. This research article focuses primarily on Infant-Directed Speech (IDS) and Pet-Directed Speech (PDS).... [tags: Family, An American Family, Discourse analysis]
2031 words (5.8 pages)
- Movie Analysis of Friday Night Lights and V for Vendetta Every weekend moviegoers flock to the theatres and video stores alike to catch a ride on one of society's most entertaining elements. Action films are a rush to some enthusiasts such as myself. It doesn't take long before we find ourselves on the edge of our seats frantically munching popcorn as our mind is flooded with stimuli. The box office as well as the population were shaken to the core with the releases of two new hit action movies, Friday Night Lights and V for Vendetta.... [tags: Movie Film Analysis]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- An Analysis of the Movie, Double Impact The movie opens twenty-five years ago in Hong Kong. The parents of two twin babies, Alex and Chad, had borrowed money from Raymond Zhang and Nigel Griffith, two lead smugglers. They needed the money in order to build a tunnel between Hong Kong and the mainland. After the tunnel was built and the money collected, Nigel Griffith and Raymond Zhang had a gang of hit men massacre Alex and Chad's family. Frank Avery, a friend of the family, races into the scene and finds the parents already dead.... [tags: Movie Film Essays]
733 words (2.1 pages)