While I am unable to account for how parents or students will treat one another, I can account for how I will treat everyone, and the various accommodations I can make. Whether parents need a separate meeting outside of meet the teacher night, a visit at their homes, or email contact, I hope to attempt every effort I can manage to build a connection with my student’s parents. I am aware that it will be difficult to get every parent to engage with the school community, however I do plan to put in at least an attempt to do this. I believe that a good way to start this repertoire is to email parents regularly informing t...
... middle of paper ...
... with each other and the overall community.
Overall there are a variety of issues that Aboriginal students face, and there are also a variety of solutions. My idea for a solution would be do develop a sense of community in the classroom, to hopefully combat feelings of exclusion, disconnect, and racism. The way I wish to do this would be to invoke students on a journey to develop a sense of community through the communities that exist in their lives. Hopefully by addressing all of these places students will understand a sense of each other, and grow to develop a new community within the classroom. As a person who has privilege and power I believe that it is vital for me to do whatever I can to make a difference in the lives of my students who do not. Reflections, and exercises like this are crucial for me developing just how I will be able to make that difference.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Over the years in high school and elementary school, my family has done a huge amount of community service. I used to do it with my family until I got older and was able to drive. In high school, I did a lot of community service not only to get into college, but because it was something I enjoyed personally. I did everything from Adopt a Family for Christmas to picking up garbage off the ground in my town. My family has made community service a very important thing for us. We always try to help out in any way we can, because it feels good to help and because we would want someone to do these things for us.... [tags: High school, Want, Need, The Help]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- Community Service and Me I used to hate community service. I only did it if it was a requirement for graduation or for a program. Even when I did community service, I still waited until the very last opportunity to do it. When I heard the words community service, all I could picture is cleaning Philadelphia parks or streets that were filled with trash in either the cold or heat. My mind always went to that space because that 's what my first few encounters with community service consisted of. My high school always had us cleaning something; one time we re-landscaped the parking lot of a homeless shelter.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Family]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Since I consider my family a community, I gathered photos that relate to the most important concepts my family and I surround ourselves with and involved in. My family is based on traditions, so most of the time if one person in my family participates in an activity the whole family participates in the activity too. My first photo is a picture of our sign at our church. This picture is significant to how my family is a community because all of my family’s interests and values formed from Godly beliefs.... [tags: Cooking, Family, Father, Cake]
1066 words (3 pages)
- Interning for many can be the beginning of their new love for a specific job or major. For me, this was just another thing to reassure me the reason why I am pursuing this pathway. Being part of the UCLA outreach family I have experienced many different school dynamics. The UCLA Community school was a different type of setting compared to the ones I am used to. Being part of college-going programs since middle school I have been surrounded by various types of college-going cultures and strategies to have students succeed and motivate them.... [tags: Education, College, High school]
2275 words (6.5 pages)
- I am Massimo Navarro, born on March 23, 1978, at the Grand Prairie Community hospital. I am a former Marine with dreams of becoming someone who is successful; furthermore, a better person spiritually. My parents were born in the beautiful city of Guadalajara located in Mexico. They were introduced to each other by a mutual friend. My parents raised me as a Catholic although, I did not attend church regularly, I do hold on to my faith dearly. My personal values are respect, honesty, and family. As a Marine, I was taught the importance of accepting people for who they are.... [tags: High school, Family, Want, Father]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- I am, Massimo Navarro, born on March 23, 1978, at the Grand Prairie Community hospital. I am a former Marine with dreams of becoming someone who is successful and overall a better person spiritually. My parents were born and raised in Guadalajara, Mexico. They were introduced to each other by a mutual friend. My parents raised me as a Catholic and despite all the “A’s” in the attendance chart, I hold on to my faith dearly. My personal values are respect, honesty, and family. Being a Marine taught me the importance of accepting people who they are.... [tags: High school, Family, Want, Father]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- In an article written by Linda Saslow titled High School Mandating Community Service for Graduation, she mentions the many pros to mandatory community service. Saslow mentions school districts like Roslyn and Hewlett-Woodmere (1994, para 3) that have started requiring high school students to complete a certain number of community service hours in order to graduate high school. Their goal is to give “kids the opportunity for new experiences” (Saslow, 1994, para 4). Through research conducted by the school districts, they have come to the conclusion that students who would’ve been “too shy to volunteer have admitted that they were glad they had been forced”.... [tags: High school, College, School district]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Looking back at the 10 year old me, I had no idea this is where I’d end up, at Kishwaukee Community College being a college athlete. I was just entering Amboy Jr. High with a large group of friends. This was the first year we had to move classrooms and keep all of our books, bags, and snacks in our very own lockers. Surprisingly enough both of my older brothers were still living at home and staying out of trouble. Gared was in 8th grade and Geofry was a junior in highschool. I came from a small town with a population of about 2,000 and only two gas stations and a road full of bars with one lonely family restaurant.... [tags: Family, High school, Mother, Father]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- According to Kirst-Ashman and Zastrow (2012) “ a family is a primary group defined as people who are intimate and have frequent face to face contact with one another, have norms (that is expectations regarding how members in the group should behave) in common and share mutually enduring and extensive influences” (Barker, 2003, p.338). Family members have a significant influence on each other rather it is positive or negative. “Families might consist of intact two-parent families with or without children, single parent families, blended families, step-families, or any other configuration that fits our definition” (Kirstman & Zastrow,2012, p.162).... [tags: Family, Family therapy, Psychotherapy]
1067 words (3 pages)
- A continuous community service project involves many pieces that have to fit together perfectly in order to complete the puzzle. The first step is to determine your idea for your project. Then you have to find a way to sponsor your funds. Next is the step where you pinpoint which organization your community service project is going to benefit and all the event details. Finally, it is time to put your community service project into drive. Your community service should be one to benefit the people of a community.... [tags: Community Service Essays]
1116 words (3.2 pages)