When I discovered that exercise courses are a required part of a degree programs I was less than thrilled. I decided to take walking and jogging because I reasoned everyone can walk. I was unaware of how much adding a walking routine to my schedule would change my everyday life. Since starting this course I have noticed some health improvements, found a way to get my family involved, and learned to schedule exercise into my basic routine.
One of the benefits I have noticed over time is a gradual amount of weight loss. I started out this course at 182 pounds which of course means I am obese. I am ending this course at 174 pounds for a loss of eight pounds. While I realize that eight pounds is not exactly heading into the thin department, it is certainly a start in the correct direction for me. This weight loss is fairly good, in my opinion, because it was not my goal upon starting this course. I made no dietary changes and in all honesty one of the major reasons I have put on so much weight since the twins were born is because I have a tendency to eat very late at night after the children have gone to bed. While I am aware this habit is very bad for overweight people, the appeal of eating in peace and quiet has outweighed the concern of weight gain. To see some of that weight come back off gives me the hope that when my children are slightly older, I might be able to shed some of the weight I put on during my pregnancies and their baby years.
Another benefit I have noticed since starting this course is an increase in my daily energy levels. When I started this course my energy reserves were close to nil and that was at the start of my day. I would start out my days exhau...
... middle of paper ...
It has been quite a learning experience to go from dreading the very idea of taking a class on walking and jogging to trying to find a way to incorporate it into my family’s routine. Those first three weeks were pretty rough and while I am by no means transformed into an exercise lover, I do realize that it is an important aspect both of bettering my health and of teaching my children the correct manner in which to view exercise. During the eleven weeks in this course I have seen a noticeable weight loss, gained some valuable energy, showed my children that I value exercise as a means to staying healthy, found a route within my own neighborhood that I am comfortable with using, and made a plan to continue walking with my family well into the future. I have been pleasantly surprised by everything I have learned just from being forced to get up and get moving.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... I took the time to observe the behavior of people as I walked along the streets. Since I chose to walk in the evening, there were many people on the streets. I was well aware of my surroundings and all of its allure. I could feel a sense of warmth from the people who were busy with various activities. Some of the people I encountered headed for the shopping center, and I assumed that they needed to access the various amenities in the center. I stopped to greet two merchants and asked them about business in the region.... [tags: Research, Scientific method, The Bronx, Walking]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Dead Man Walking The motion picture Dead Man Walking provided a non-fiction insight into the world of crime, justice, and capital punishment. The film cast several characters from different backgrounds and opinion sets in direct conflict with one another. Several small topics and one major topic, capital punishment, were explored over the duration of the movie. While the opinions and reactions of people to Dead Man Walking may vary, the one constant is that people will have a reaction.... [tags: Dead Man Walking]
1476 words (4.2 pages)
- Now that I have completed this course, I can see the course applying to my ministry in the following ways so that I may understand the text and the different ways of preaching each subject. As a preacher, it is necessary to understand how to explain God’s promise in which he will pour His Spirit upon people in every special way so that every man receives a different gift that he who has ears and hearts will listen to God’s words and come to Him. The most significant things to my ministry are that each theme has four main different parts of teaching such as introduction, Law, Gospel, and application.... [tags: Course Review]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- Looking back over the course of the semester, I feel that I learned many new and interesting uses for technology within the classroom – both for classrooms that have a lot of technology and for classrooms that are limited with technology. For the majority of the class, we utilized William Kists’ book The Socially Networked Classroom: Teaching in the New Media Age (2010), which provided multiple modes of instruction that both utilized and/or created technology. One of the first things that I remember, and consequently that stuck with me through the course’s entirety, is that individuals must treat everything as a text.... [tags: Course Reflection]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Fear itself is seldom a cause of trauma in everyday existence, but having to face close-range interpersonal aggression is a traumatic experience of an entirely different magnitude (Grossman). During the initial outbreak of terror while everyone is scrambling to save his or her own life, survival mode kicks in and an individual starts to plan on saving one’s self. The need to be a powerful motivator drives an average person to do what any normal person would consider unthinkable. Abandoning monsters plaguing the entire world, helping others in need, or deciding to save one’s self is a decision that will be made.... [tags: Traumatic Experiences, Community Survival]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- The Three Most Important Things I’ve learned in this Course Bank Reserves Bank Reserves are banks that hold currency and deposits in accounts with their central bank or the Federal Reserve. These reserves are essentially held in bank vaults also called cash vaults. All banks hold required reserves due to the reserve requirements set by the Federal Reserve. Banks hold additional reserves, called excess reserves which banks use to meet its obligations when funds are withdrawn, either by a depositor or when a check is written on an account.... [tags: Course Reflection]
1166 words (3.3 pages)
- William Wordsworth Walking: Art, Work, Leisure, and a Curious Form of Consumption William Wordsworth spent a good portion of his life on foot, walking. Consider a sequence of Dorothy's journal entries: Monday the 14th, "Wm & Mary walked to Ambleside in the morning to buy mousetraps" (about 5 miles round trip); Tuesday the 15th, "Wm & I walked to Rydale for letters" (about 3 miles round trip); Wednesday the 16th, "After dinner Wm & I walked twice up to the Swan & back again" (3 miles), met Miss Simpson and walked with her to the Oliffs and then back to her house (another 3 miles); Thursday the 17th, "we had a delightful walk" (a couple of miles); Friday the 18th, "Mary & Wm walk... [tags: William Wordswroth Walking Essays]
1916 words (5.5 pages)
- The Importance of the Access and Foundation Course The eassy is aimed at the reason why I am doing access and foundation course,and why it will lead to a degree qualification.it will be consist of the reason why I chose the access and foundation,and what I will achieve at the end of the programme.All the reasons will be in paragraphs to explain. Second chance with the access and foundation course to gain a degree qualification. I never have the chance to understand higher education standard and the requirements properly, until when I join the access and foundation course.i come to this programme so that I can have a cleared understanding,better knowledge and what is expected in further ed... [tags: Education Course Review Analysis]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Principle of Management Course: My Experiences I believe that the Principles of Management course provided me with invaluable information which will help in furthering both my professional as well as personal life. I believe that learning is a process by which an individual undergoes certain changes. Also, during the learning process, many of the beliefs which a person holds are challenged. I underwent various changes during this course. This paper will explain those changes. Furthermore, I will detail the concepts, ideas and situations which had the greatest impact on me.... [tags: essays research papers]
1775 words (5.1 pages)
- The Big Experience On the Golf Course Golf is a big experience for me in the first place. Three reasons why this certain tournament was such an experience was because I was the leader of our team. It was for pride against the other players we were playing, and it just was not for the pride it was also for the money and that played a big role in it also. Golf has brought me a long way like going to college and the way I look at certain things now. Being the captain of our team was a big privilege but it also made me very nervous.... [tags: essays research papers]
1024 words (2.9 pages)