By using other methods to dispense the information of changed protocol to the students, students may not be as interested or retain the information. The video provides an avenue for students to actually attach to the material and retain the message; other venues do not have this ability. The goal of becoming more sustainable is to not only make a change on the campus itself, but to instill these fundamental principles in the student body so that they enter the world as more informed citizens who make choices that include consideration for the environment.
Expand the Environmental Conference
Towson University should expand the environmental conference to reach more of the student body and be more representative of the efforts of the University to become more sustainable.
The University has to be able to reach the student body with the information that directly impacts them. This includes the changes that will be made as a result of the University signing the PCC. One of the venues that has become a way to dispense sustainable and environmentally focused ideas is the environmental conference. The purpose of the environmental conference is to address “the impact of individuals and communities on the environment and actions that individuals and communities can take to positively impact the environment and create a more sustainable world” (Towson University, 2011). This avenue is perfect for addressing ...
... middle of paper ...
... on November 8, 2011 from http://nudining.com/sustainability
Nye, J., 2011. Director of Sustainability, Towson University, Towson, MD. Interview, September 7, 2011.
PR Newswire Association LLC. 2011. SUBWAY® Recognizes Vendor Partners for Sustainability Efforts .Retrieved from http://www.prnewswire.com/
Sustainable Table (2009, September). Water, bottle water- the issues. Retrieved from http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/water/
Towson University. (2011, October 26). Environmental conference. Retrieved from http://www.towson.edu/studentaffairs/civicengagement/environmentalInitiatives/environmentalConference.asp
Towson, MD. Email, October 4, 2011.
University of Colorado, Denver. 2011. Sustainability. Retrieved from http://housing.colorado.edu/dining/sustainability
University: An inventory of greenhouse gas emissions, 2008/2009. Towson: CIER. 25 p
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Impact of People on Their Environment The impact of people on their environment can be devastating. This is where the respective role of governments can make decisions that shape environmental policy and responsibilities. These governments can be broken up into four different levels: local, state, federal and international. Air quality and biodiversity are two current issues that can be related to the role of governments. Global warming is also another implication that has a devastating effect on the environment.... [tags: Papers]
2526 words (7.2 pages)
- United Nations Conference on Environment and Development Introduction As our understanding of global ecosystem functioning continues to increase, so does the knowledge and awareness that the effects of human behavior on the environment are no longer confined to localized microcosms. Humans are not only responsible for impacting the ecosystem in which they directly inhabit, but are now joined as a global community where collective, individual actions are changing planetary ecosystems. Thus, environmental policies developed at an international level to address global problems, such as climate change, ozone layer depletion, and acid rain, must cross several cultural, economic, and political... [tags: Environmental Nature Ecology Essays]
3519 words (10.1 pages)
- The ESRI International User Conference 2010 is considered one of the largest Geographic Information System (GIS) conferences in the world, with more than 134 countries and over 6,000 organizations whose staff attended the conference. This was ESRI 30th International User conference. During the user conference, ESRI introduced newly released ArcGIS 10 software and provided training seminars for various ESRI software applications and GIS concepts. The ESRI training and white paper presentation topics included: • ArcGIS Desktop Programming 10 • ArcServer and ArcGIS Configuration 10 • Cartography • Cloud Computing • Data Integration • Geocoding • Geodatabase Architecture • Geodatabase Theory... [tags: Conference Analysis]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- “The brown current ran swiftly out of the heart of darkness, bearing us down towards the sea with twice the speed of our upward progress; and Kurtz’s life was running swiftly, too, ebbing, ebbing out of his heart into the sea of inexorable time. . . ." Joseph Conrad- Heart of Darkness Introduction The aim of this paper is to analyze the General Act of the Berlin Conference on West Africa (1884-1885) and the partition of Africa among the main European powers, considering its importance for the construction of Europe.... [tags: The Conference of Berlin]
2373 words (6.8 pages)
- Statement of Purpose As a child, litterbugs and their negative influence on the appearance of my surroundings always annoyed me. The teaching method in my playschool motivated my interest on nature through a combination of self-directed activities and my own natural inner guidance. As my knowledge advanced over the years, I acquired a high level of critical thinking skills and creativity and often surprised my teachers by suggesting creative solutions to problems. Around age fourteen, I got more serious in civil and environmental engineering since society’s ignorance toward environment in my country was always one of my concerns.... [tags: environment, engineering, education]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- The damage inflicted on Europe during World War I was dire and left Europe in a state of chaos. Consequently, post-war peace settlements were complicated, but were necessary in order to end the period of disorder. World War I concluded on November 1918, when Germany agreed to an armistice. At the end of the war, European leaders realized that their reasons for initially engaging in the war had not been worth it. Countries were torn apart, as established dynasties had fallen during the war and new states were attempting to rise up.... [tags: post war peace, peace conference, lloyd george]
1580 words (4.5 pages)
- The environment of planet Earth is being harmed and the causes of environmental degradation are mostly man made. Natural resources are being exploited to provide energy, food, and technology for an ever-growing global population. In the process, the globe is warming at an unprecedented rate, water and air are being polluted, and forests are being destroyed; however, awareness and education are encouraging the search for environmental first aid. The climate change occurring now, which affects every continent and ocean, has both human and natural causes.... [tags: Environment ]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- The Berlin Conference of 1884 peacefully divided Africa between world leaders. The conference, also known as the Congo Conference, looked at Africa as a great source of wealth in many areas to be shared among the participating countries. The division that took place at no time had at interest the people of Africa. By the time Africa regained its freedom in the 1950’s most areas had developed severe political and racial division. The result of this turbulence and division is the occurrence of such violent civil wars and genocides in African countries such as Rwanda.... [tags: World History ]
2036 words (5.8 pages)
- A high school publications class provides a real life group learning activity that few other classes replicate. Students work as a team to create a newspaper, yearbook, website or broadcast, and while individual assignments are important, the class needs to come together to make sure all the work gets done, is done well and is put together as a whole. I want to see if teaching students to do peer writing conferences would help them become better writers and team members, because they would practice both writing skills and social skills by giving and receiving feedback.... [tags: Technology, Conferences]
2325 words (6.6 pages)
- I always wanted to surround myself with knowledge and people that live and breathe event planning. My opportunity came at the 2010 Special Events conference in New Orleans, LA. The Special Event (2010) is the largest tradeshow and conference in the world for event professionals (2010, The Special Event). TSE allows attendees to make invaluable connections with thousands of key event industry notables and colleagues, experience education both inside and outside of the classroom environment, choose among over 100 relevant Conference Sessions and Training Workshops taught by hand-selected speakers, and discover thousands of event products and services on the Tradeshow Floor (2010, The Special E... [tags: event professionals]
1123 words (3.2 pages)