The main objective of a leader is to employ the correct leadership style that will allow him/her to influence and inspire others to willfully complete the mission to the best of their ability. This is why great military leader are successful in leading troops into battles that they may not survive. If our military leaders were to send troops into combat without great leadership, there would be more casualties and therefore, less people willing to voluntarily join our military. On a much safer scale, this also relates to business as well as life.
As business leader, parent, coach, etc… leadership is a trait that with all the right tools can encourage others to be successful in their jobs. It is the leader that must recognize each person and situation and then apply the best leadership style to motivate others to want to be successful.
Leadership means different things to different people. That is why, different styles of leadership appeal to different people. Some of the common traits of good leadership are consist...
... middle of paper ...
...er that allowed you to understand his style of leadership, which is something to be admired. At a time of war, he was the calm. At a time of decision, he was the answer. He accepted responsibility in loses and gave credit to others during victories. He was also smart enough to surround himself with smart people and to delegate the tasks to them when appropriate.
Harari, O. (1996). Quotations from Chairman Powell: A Leadership Primer, GovLeaders.org
This article lists eighteen quotes from a speech given by General Colin Powell. The quotes reinforce straightforward thinking and leadership.
I found this article to be refreshing in a manner that it didn’t mince words. Once in a while we need to work through the political correctness and just tell it like it is. I felt this article did just that, while still addressing the importance of character in leadership.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The transformational leadership style goes far beyond transactional leadership. A transformational leadership style is characterized by high energy, sensibility, clarity in direction, and empathy. Transformational leaders inspire subordinates to go beyond the norm and achieve goals on a greater scale than they thought possible. The transformational leader promotes a mentoring relationship rather than a monitoring relationship. Which leadership style is better. The answer would be neither, both have their place.... [tags: leadership style, employee morale]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- According to Kettl (2015, p. 137), “Politics and performance become intertwined in charting what agencies do, how they do it, and how they might work better.” There are three organizational values which tend to determine how agencies operate: neutral competence, executive leadership, and representativeness. Both executive leadership and neutral competence are repeatedly displayed throughout the case study. Executive leadership is described by Kettl as (2015, p. 137), “The quest for executive leadership calls for a strong elected executive…and strong and loyal department heads, all political chosen.... [tags: Decision making, Decision theory, Management]
1231 words (3.5 pages)
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY ON LEADERSHIP VERSUS MANAGEMENT In my view leadership and management are two different aspects which are equally important for development of any organization. Both are interdependent sometimes depending on certain situations. Leadership is something which imbibes the quality to inspire, motivate, build trust and relationships, provide ideas and make some spontaneous decisions accordingly; whereas Management is something which involves balancing all factors responsible to run any kind of organization.... [tags: Management, Peter Drucker, Leadership]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- The existence of the glass ceiling reminds us of current issues in gender equality and female leadership, faced by the business community both in the United States and abroad. The Civil rights movement and incentives towards feminization of various aspects of public life resulted in official recognition of equal rights and opportunities for female professionals; however, in many cases such recognition takes purely formal shapes. In too many cases women get professionally discriminated at work place.... [tags: femele leadership, gender equality]
2063 words (5.9 pages)
- GE LEADERSHIP: Jeffry R. Immelt is currently the Chairman and CEO of General Electric. Jeffry at his company has a management development center where in he runs through some principles of what he calls “Things Leaders Do”. The following are the leadership norms he believes that would be a valuable asset for the organization’s success and which would also benefit the employees as well. 1. Personal Responsibility: Jeffry strongly condemns thinking about ourselves first. He thinks that one should put an end of being selfish and should take a lead be responsible of what we do.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- Experience and time are amazing teachers. When I wrote on my leadership style trying to answer the question of whether I am a manager or a leader at the start of the semester, I wrote that I am mostly a manager. I also wrote that by recognizing where I was at that time would guide me to develop myself, to advance from being a manager to a leader. Ambition, drive and smartness can help me rise to the top of my profession, however with opportunity comes responsibility. I must be my own chief executive officer.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Chief executive officer]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Lincoln on Leadership is one of the most powerful books on leadership that I have read. The most interesting part to me was that Lincoln was a true leader as President and not just an individual who sat back and let others do all the necessary work while he made the pubic appearances. In my studies of history, I have never analyzed any president as a real leader, probably because before this class I assumed that they all were leaders. Now I know they are not. Every point that is made in the book to support Lincoln as a real leader is something that either we discussed in class or something that is covered in our text.... [tags: Lincoln On Leadership]
1393 words (4 pages)
- Transformationally Adapting Servant Leadership: A Leadership Theory Application Mitten Guardianship Agency (MGA) is a nonprofit organization that supports their community by providing guardianship, conservatorship, payee, and special needs trust services. MGA’s goal is to assist those who are unable to care for themselves while simultaneously preserving their independence and dignity. My role in the organization was an intern in the legal department. In 2012, MGA went through a leadership change when the executive director was unexpectedly (seemingly) fired by the board of directors.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Executive director]
872 words (2.5 pages)
- Answer 1: As we all know what is leader. Leader is that person who influence the behavior of others is called leader. In today’s world there are so many leaders such as political leader, business leader and sports leader etc. But for answering my question I chose both business leader Lakhshmi mittal and Alan mullay. Lakshmi Mittal (conceived 15 June 1950) is the executive and CEO of Arcelor Mittal, the world 's biggest steelmaking organization. The Indian-birthplace steel financier is worth with an expected abundance of 17.51 bn pounds, has held his position as the wealthiest individual in the UK for the seventh year in succession in 2011, however his riches declined by 4.93 billion pounds... [tags: Leadership, Management, Arcelor Mittal]
2445 words (7 pages)
- Principals are under increased pressure to create systemic change within their schools. Providing leadership coaching gives principals the tools they need to be an effective school leader. Race influences how leaders are perceived and can impact principals and how they move into higher leadership positions. This paper will explore principal coaching models and how race can play a role in the success or lack of success within coaching models. More and more principal professional development is employing one on one coaching models to improve principal skills to increase student achievement.... [tags: Leadership]
803 words (2.3 pages)