Performance appraisals act as career development and it helps in reviewing of employee performance within organizations. Even though no performance appraisal is perfect, an evaluation of their past performance is experienced by most of the employees. Appraisal process helps in determining that which employees needs training and who should be promoted, demoted, retained or fired.
Performance appraisal helps in the assessment of employee’s performance in a systematic way. It is kind of developmental tool which helps in all round development of the employee and the organization. Main objectives of performance appraisal are promotion, confirmations, training and development, reviews, competency building, Improving communication, evaluation of HR programs, feedback, and grievances.
Major Factors that Distort Appraisal
Performance Appraisal are not perfect. Performance appraisal might be distorted. According to DeCenzo (2013), “Important factors that can distort for several reasons are “Leniency Error”, “Halo Error”, “Similarity Error”, “Central Tendency”, “Low Appraiser Motivations”, “Inflationary Pressure”, “Inappropriate pressures for Performance.”
Leniency Error: The organization’s employees are rated by different persons. Each evaluator has their own method of rating this can cause error in making judgement.
Halo Error: Employee...
... middle of paper ...
...creased employee motivation. These kind of employee training and development programs will prepare staff to successfully carry out mission of the organization.
DeCenzo, D.A., Robbins, S.P., &Verhuslt, S.L. (2013). Fundamentals of human resource management (11th edition)
Littlewood, B. (2003). Management Essays Free Essays on Management. Retrieved October 22,2016, from https:// www.ukessay.com/Essays/Management
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Appraisal is a process which is carried by managers or consultants of any organization to evaluate the employee’s work behavior. Then these results are compared with present standards. These results are very important as managers can provide feedback to employees. These results will help managers to explain the employees where they need improvement and why. Performance appraisals act as career development and it helps in reviewing of employee performance within organizations. Even though no performance appraisal is perfect, an evaluation of their past performance is experienced by most of the employees.... [tags: Management, Human resource management, Better]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Performance evaluation process is one of the processes that can help an organization attain its goals in the most effective way. However, this is one of the processes that is hated most by not only employees, but also managers. Most managers have gone even a further step to ensure that this process is abolished in their organizations. Studies have shown that most managers would also wish that this process is abolished in most organizations because they find is useless or it takes much of their time.... [tags: Evaluation, Performance appraisal, Management]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- Employee Performance Appraisal There are many considerations an organization must take in the design of an employee performance appraisal. In addition to ensuring the appropriate components, organizational leaders should emphasize the standard, fair, and frequent use of the appraisal in order to realize its full potential and reduce legal risk. The attached performance appraisal has been designed to evaluate a relationship manager (RM) at Pacific Pulmonary Services (PPS). The key components include basic employee information, sales performance objectives, competencies based on company values, developmental achievements and future goals related to sales, values, and personal development, sta... [tags: Management, Human resource management]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Employee performance appraisals are used to develop an action plan for each employee’s career goals. The performance appraisal, usually done once per year, assists employees and their employer when determining weaknesses as well as set future plans for desired positions, education needs and career advancement (Noe, 2017). The performance appraisal is the process used to measure the performance they have given thus far throughout a given time and to help the employee develop on the feedback which they will receive (Noe, 2017).... [tags: Employment, Human resource management, Management]
1819 words (5.2 pages)
- Performance management refers to a method of installing practices and means within the business atmosphere that encourages the people and assures they perform at their highest abilities. To guarantee employees are working at their highest capability requires consistent assessment of employees and the management. Measuring the achievement of the successes in the business is significant to understanding the current effectiveness of craftsmen and to acknowledging any current challenges. Modern Office Supply is encountering vital hurdles due to incompetent performance management.... [tags: Assessment, Evaluation, Performance appraisal]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Based on your view of the objectives of performance evaluation, evaluate the perspectives about performance appraisal presented by the managers. Performance evaluations has many major functions, many embrace providing a basis for rewards and to evaluate previous training programs. I think the managers presented the flaws within the evaluation system. One in every of the flaws that were discerned within the case was the actual fact that emotions will creep into the evaluation process. If a manager has simply punished one in every of his or her workers that anger may cause a decent worker to receive a bad mark.... [tags: evaluation process, rewards, ]
1033 words (3 pages)
- For many centuries, the assessment on employees has been a traditional procedure used to distinguish the value of workers. As a Navy veteran, I am familiar with annual employee performance reviews, given that evaluations are an essential part of the military advancement. Though annual evaluations have maintained popularity in the business realm, I find that frequent and collective feedback is a more efficient way to reward and improve worker performance. There are even professionals from reputable companies that can support this opinion.... [tags: Evaluation, Performance appraisal, Validity]
1053 words (3 pages)
- PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL PROCESS An effective Performance Appraisal Process begins with a Performance Management Process that both evaluates and measures individual employee performance and optimizes productivity by ensuring that employee’s actions align with company objectives. It provides for transparency and clarifies accountability with regard to performance expectation while offering the opportunity to document progress that supports compensation and career planning decisions. All performance evaluations are to be conducted fairly and objectively with consistency to protect both employees’ and our company’s interests.... [tags: Management, Skill, Human resource management]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- Brief Overview of Performance Appraisal Performance Appraisal can be referred to as a method of evaluating your employees. Using this method, the performance of an employee is evaluated in terms of the quality, quantity, cost and time. Performance appraisal can be regarded as a part of career development. According to the modern approach of performance appraisal, it can be regarded as a formal interaction between a superior and a subordinate, usually taking place periodically, during which the performance of the subordinate is discussed with the aim of identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the subordinate.... [tags: Employee Performance Evaluation Work]
1837 words (5.2 pages)
- Performance appraisals are a major component of human resource management systems used by organisations to measure and manage what is considered to be the most valuable resource available to them; human capital. This report aims to evaluate the effectiveness of performance appraisals and its application to both the employer and its employees, taking into consideration various rationales for its implementation. This will be achieved through an in depth review of the concept of performance appraisals, its evolution in corporate organisations and existing literature on the topic, and the effects (both positive and negative) to the organisation as a whole and to its employees.... [tags: Business, Employee Evaluation, Performance Levels]
1542 words (4.4 pages)