Essay about The European Union

Essay about The European Union

Length: 994 words (2.8 double-spaced pages)

Rating: Better Essays

Open Document

Essay Preview

The term “Brexit” is the fusion of two words “British” and “exit”. In the recent June 2016 referendum held in UK, 51.9% people of the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU), resulting UK to withdraw from the EU and making it a complex separation phenomenon which has caused severe economic and political changes for the UK and other countries.
The result which was announced on the morning of 24 June showed that 51.9% voted in favor of leaving the European Union whereas 48.1% voted in favor of remaining a member of the European Union as shown in the table:
It is for sure that the UK and the other EU would be directly or indirectly affected by Brexit. According to a survey, it is found that many businesses in UK are already worried about the impact of referendum uncertainty since as UK has voted to leave, the stable new stable relationship with the EU will itself be prolonged and highly uncertain. Surveys find many UK businesses are already worried about the impact of referendum uncertainty.
After a thorough reading, we came to find out that Ireland is one of the EU nations mostly affected by Brexit. Ireland has very close and firm financial, investment and trade links with the UK and in the case of Ireland; Ireland is closely related to the UK in many policy terms as well.
Of all the European nations, Ireland is the only member state to share border with the UK. So it certain that due to the sharing of the land border with each other, Ireland has a deep connection with the United Kingdom in relation to trade, supply, language, migration and culture. Ireland exports billion worth of goods and services from the UK. According to a survey done in 2013, Ireland exported €14.8 billion worth of goods and €5.8billion of services to the ...


... middle of paper ...


... €3.3 billion worth of agri-food products which is 49% of agri-food exports of Ireland. Similarly, Ireland imported a total of 46% of total agri-food goods from the UK.
After the Brexit, it would for sure cause a great impact on UK-Irish agri-food trade. There will be introduction of new border/customs procedures by the UK and possibly tariffs. An additional procedure which includes origin checks, increased documentation and physical border checks may likely affect trade costs. Trade costs may increase which would increase the cost base value putting pressure on Irish exports prices to the UK. Tariffs on agri-food trade could be another drawback for the Irish exporters. On the other hand the import prices could have upward pressure for the firms based on Ireland and also the retail prices would experience pressure whilst importing from the UK for Irish consumers.

Need Writing Help?

Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.

Check your paper »

The European Union Essay

- The change in mindset occurred with the signing of the Single European Act in 1985. Whose main objective was to add new momentum to the process of the European construction so as to complete the internal market “(Bache, Bulmer, George, Parker 2014, 2). The SEA was centered around implementing more European integration in order to diminish the idea of intergovernmental bureaucracy in exchange for supranational bureaucracy. The European Council was instrumental in this process because it addressed the skepticism of the single currency by creating an intergovernmental conference to analyze the steps needed for a single market....   [tags: European Union, Treaty of Lisbon]

Better Essays
1516 words (4.3 pages)

Essay about The European Union

- The term “Brexit” is the fusion of two words “British” and “exit”. In the recent June 2016 referendum held in UK, 51.9% people of the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU), resulting UK to withdraw from the EU and making it a complex separation phenomenon which has caused severe economic and political changes for the UK and other countries. The result which was announced on the morning of 24 June showed that 51.9% voted in favor of leaving the European Union whereas 48.1% voted in favor of remaining a member of the European Union as shown in the table: It is for sure that the UK and the other EU would be directly or indirectly affected by Brexit....   [tags: European Union, International trade]

Better Essays
994 words (2.8 pages)

The European Union Essay

- Briton exiting the European Union Its quarter to five in the mooring September the fifteenth and people are anxiously waiting for Nigel Farage. Around six a black jeep slowly polled in front of the BBC TV station on Westminster. The driver of the car walked out forms his seat and took few steps towards the left side of the passages door. As soon at the driver swung open the passage side, Nigel Farage a middle aged man with gray Hair and a bank clerk suit walked out from the car and proceeded to the BBC building reception area....   [tags: European Union, Europe, United Kingdom]

Better Essays
2295 words (6.6 pages)

Essay on The European Union

- The European Union Abstract ======== This paper is about the EU, its major policies, the key objectives, legislations, instruments for implementing those policies, who the members are, and the institutions involved in the implementation of the trade goals. Key word: European Union; Mission of the EU. Introduction ============ The establishment of the EU intended to work toward common goals of European countries. This free trade zone or economic community was and is very successful which seeks special purposes such as political dialogue, free trade and freedom of movement, economic, financial, and cultural cooperation....   [tags: European Union Essays]

Free Essays
1309 words (3.7 pages)

The European Union Essay

- The European Union 1. INTRODUCTION 1 1.1. MISSIONS AND VISIONS FOR THE EUROPEAN UNION 1 1.2. THE GENERAL VIEW OF THE EUROPEAN UNION 1 1.3. THE LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT FOR EUROPEAN UNION 2 2. THE EUROPEAN UNION 4 2.1. HISTORY OF THE EUROPEAN UNION 4 2.1.1. HOW THE EU WAS BUILT 4 2.1.2. MEMBER STATES OF EU 8 2.1.3. HISTORY OF THE EUROPEAN INTEGRATION 9 2.2. DEPARTMENTS AND POLICIES 11 2.2.1. THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION 11 2.2.2. THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS 11 2.2.3....   [tags: European Union Esays]

Better Essays
5913 words (16.9 pages)

Essay about The European Union

- Introduction Problems Facing the European Union Sovereignty or Unity. Expansion The European Union. E.U. members listed in order of membership: Official languages of the E.U. The E.U. Government Structure History, How and Why. The Views Against the E.U. In Conclusion Introduction Europe made up more than 30 countries and even more distinct cultures; it is now trying to adjust to new economic systems throughout the world. Today with the trend toward big trading blocks like: N.A.F.T.A....   [tags: European Union Esays]

Free Essays
1723 words (4.9 pages)

The European Union Essay

- Europe was a powerfull continent, wich ended with the second world war. Then Europe was in ruins, but even so, it was the beginning of a new golden age. Jean Monnet an Robert Schuman were convinced that the war started because Europe was not united. Therefore they founded the Europian Union (EU). They wanted to build an union that would banish conflicts for good. In 1951 it started with agreements between six countries, moving on tho the creation of a common market in 1957. In 1957 the six members were Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, now the EU has 25 members....   [tags: European Union Esays]

Free Essays
1829 words (5.2 pages)

The European Union Essay

- The European Union Advantages of UK membership to the European Union cover many fields from the businesses in the UK to British consumers and students. Membership benefits UK businesses because it makes trade between member states quicker and cheaper. This is because the EU is a customs union/ single market. This means that a business in the UK can export its goods and services to other EU member states and those goods and services will not have a tax tariff imposed on them. For example, America, a non-EU member, imposes a tariff on cars being imported from the UK....   [tags: European Union Essays]

Better Essays
1337 words (3.8 pages)

The European Union Essay

- The European Union is a supranational government body that is, by definition, changing the traditional role of the nation state and sovereignty in Europe. This Union was formed voluntarily by states with similar goals and is unique in its conception and design to the European continent. Although The EU (European Union) is strengthening Europe economically and politically the states that form it have surrendered considerable amounts of their national sovereignty. The meaning of sovereignty has evolved over time; however, today there are several clear characteristics that define the concept of sovereignty in relation to the nation state....   [tags: European Union Esays]

Better Essays
938 words (2.7 pages)

The European Union Essay

- The European Union was created in 1958 providing interregional trade barriers, a common external tariff against other countries, a Common Agricultural Policy and guarantees of free movement of labor and capital. The EU is formerly called the European Community, and became known as the EU in January of 1994. The EU currently consist of 15 countries (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, UK) that all have adopted the same currency known as the Euro....   [tags: European Union Esays]

Better Essays
911 words (2.6 pages)