The issue became apparent at 4:10 pm on October 13, 2014, as the usernames and passwords for at least four-hundred different Dropbox accounts had already been put in a text file and uploaded to Pastebin.com. The accounts on this list had all started with the letter “B”. The hackers had posted this as their “first teaser… just to get things going.” They essentially attempted to monetize the stolen accounts. In exchange for Bitcoin donations, the group of hackers would release more Dropbox login credentials. The supposed hackers had posted a link in the file that they had uploaded to Pastebin.com, which would take users to a site where they could then donate Bitcoins to the group of hackers. The group had reportedly tested these usernames and passwords on man...
... middle of paper ...
...ers to connect to their Dropbox accounts, Dropbox can legally require the app developers of the app to take specific security precautions in regard to handling login information. If external services are misusing Dropbox login information, the company can have the services shut down for copyright misuse. By ensuring the safety of the accounts on the service, Dropbox can prevent an uncertainty that will damage its reputation, and more people will continue to sign up for the service as a result.
To make a long story short, a list of several accounts was released by a group of people claiming to have hacked Dropbox. Whether or not they actually stole millions of account logins is a topic up for debate. What is certain, though, is that the security of millions of Dropbox accounts is in question, which has the potential of reducing the corporation’s profits in the future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sentencing to Service (STS) is a sentencing option available to most Courts where a convicted offender "works off” his/her fine by performing a specified number of hours of public service work under the supervision of a work crew leader employed by the state or a local corrections agency. Courts may also sentence offenders to STS rather than jail or workhouse time. STS was established in 1986 by the Minnesota Department of Corrections along with several County Sheriff’s Departments, community corrections, Courts and local governments.... [tags: Sentencing to Service, Juvenile delinquency, ]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- A dystopia could be described as a horrendous vision of events to occur in the near future which can be depicted in David Mitchells’ book, Cloud Atlas, where the author mentions of polluted lands, waters and air (Mitchell, 2004). Such a dystopian wasteland is imminent in Rosia Montana, Romania where a substantial gold mining project managed by Gabriel Resources Ltd, a Canadian firm, might demolish three villages and four mountains, and build up a considerable reservoir for 214 million tons of cyanide waste which is used to extract gold from ore (BBC, 2013).... [tags: Rosia Montana, Romania]
1342 words (3.8 pages)
- ... Disconnect your computer from the Internet when you are not using it. Carefully consider your security settings. Examine all system settings, particularly the security settings, and select options that decrease your risk of data loss or intrusion. Back up your data. Protect your backups. When you make your data backups, make sure they are kept in a safe, secure location. It does no good to secure your PC and leave the backups where anyone might find them. Don’t store sensitive information in portable device without strong encryption Don’t leave your computer / sensitive documents unlocked Don’t discuss anything sensitive in public place.... [tags: practices, society, authorization, think]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- The Code of Ethics is the professional conduct that governs the profession of Social Work. Each candidate that is licensed by the Board must adhere to these conducts whether or not they are providing services on the telephone, in person and electronically. The Code of Ethics provides guidelines that protect the client, colleagues, and themselves to prevent any unethical standards. One of the conducts that the Code of Ethics refers to is that as social worker we have an ethical responsibility to the client we serve.... [tags: Theraupetic, Clients, Relationships]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- They are profusion of services when we look on the consumer sites traffic around on the world. People used to rely on this services in their day to day activities and this became even worse when smartphones became handy to the people. Cloud-based applications are now gaining large momentum and when we see the present situation we observe the fact developing a simple game or an application by a company tries to build it up on a cloud. This may be fascinating but according to Evans Data Corporation: “there are more than 18 million software developers worldwide yet less than 25 percent are developing for the cloud today.... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service, Google]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. Introduction Global cloud computing market is expected to grow rapidly due to its efficiency and innovativeness. This technology has been regarded as one of the top priorities for businesses to be efficient in terms of cost cutting, resource utilisation, employee communication, etc (Carcary, 2014). It is forecasted by Analyst group Forrester that the cloud computing market is predicted to increase from £22.5bn in 2011 to approximately £96.6bn by 2020. The definition of cloud computing from US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is one of the most widely and frequently known; “A model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of confi... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Cloud computing embedded with three service models which offers the users their services based on the fundamental models: • SaaS (Software-as-Service) • PaaS (Platform-as-Service) • IaaS (Infrastructure-as-Service) Software as a service (SaaS) SaaS is also known as Web services. It is a software delivery model in which the software and its associated data are centrally hosted on the cloud. It is a more often used delivery model for applications like: DBMS software, CAD software, Development software, Gamification, Virtualization, Customer relationship management (CRM), Management information systems (MIS), Human resources management (HRM) and many more .... [tags: Cloud computing, Computer software]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Explain how the implementation of cloud computing relates to an organisations strategy and how it could affect a company’s value chain. Use a recent announcement by a company to illustrate your explanation. Present your answer in essay format (word guide 1000 - 1200 words). = Cloud computing refers to both the applications delivered as services over the Internet and the hardware and systems software in the data centers that provide those services (Armbrust et al., 2010). The advantages of cloud computing include remote access to data and services, Software as a service (SaaS) Business models, remove internal costs with managed services, enjoy easy up scaling of data requirements Advantag... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service, Risk]
1050 words (3 pages)
- At first glance “The Cloud” appears to be magical but like a visit to “The Great and Powerful OZ’ when you look deeper you find that there is more to it behind the curtain. The cloud is not magic; it is actually a real delivery system with a structure that makes the whole thing work. Cloud computing is defined by the Investopedia online dictionary as a model for delivering data and software stored in servers that is retrieved from the internet through web-based tools and applications, rather than a direct connection to a server.... [tags: The Cloud]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), cloud computing is referred to as a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configuration computing resources that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. The following paper will discuss the meaning of cloud computing, the major providers, benefits of adoption, pitfalls of adoption, current trends in the business community, and current application within the business community.... [tags: Cloud Services]
2148 words (6.1 pages)