The term was firstly used by Pontiff Temple in 1941. However, some other
authors emphasize that it was firstly used in 1934 by Alfred Zimmern who is
from Oxford, besides that, it became even more popular thanks to the ‘’Citizen
and Churchman’’ book, written in 1940. Nevertheless, its widespread in
literature occurred by Beceridge Report in 1942. It is seen that before and most
of 20th century, ‘’welfare’’ and ‘’state’’ terms aren’t used together. It is only
between the years of 1945 and 1980 that these two words have a strong
relationship. During that period, the statement of ‘’welfare state’’ became a
common idiom in politics and citizen language.
Therefore, the statement of ‘’welfare state’’, which became widespread in
1930’s and 1940’s, can be accepted as a new term as it is a new term that belongs
to recent times. Welfare state notion has a relative meaning and when
economical, political and cultural legacy and historical developments are taken
into consideration, it can be interpreted in different ways. Indeed, almost every
state and each person interprets welfare state in different ways. Welfare state
notions generally focus on how and why a state interferes in economy and its
Another start point accepted for modern welfare state is the social insurance
application that was brought by Bismark in 1883 for the first time. Before these,
there had been a number of laws for the poor people but these aren’t generally
accepted as a start for welfare state. When we have a look at the countries that
welfare state was born, we can see that welfare state implementations started in
19th century, Germany and then spread to North America and ...
... middle of paper ...
...al development of social welfare can be shortly
summarized as stated below.
• Firstly, it can be seen that residual welfare approach left its place to institutional approach.
• Second, social welfare became more than services done by charity emotions, it turned into a human right coming from being a citizen.
• Third, it had been a service concept for the poor in the past but then it had a global shape to meet the needs of all of population.
• Fourth, to reinforce human source potential, wide welfare spending was passed from narrow welfare budget.
• Fifth, the reasons of unemployment used to be thought as personal error and lacks, but then it started to be thought that unemployment is reasoned by state and institutions’ inefficient conditions.
• The final one is, the responsibility of providing social welfare moved to public from person and institutions.