Water Pollution: Plastic in the Ocean

1110 Words5 Pages
Water pollution has had devastating effects on the environment, which include irreversible effects to the oceans ecosystem. People often underestimate the importance of the ocean. They don’t realize how much damage pollution has caused to the ocean and the thousand of creatures that inhabit it. Earth is a huge place, but resources are actually very limited and will not last forever; unless there is a balance. We must protect the resources we have in order for them to last into the next generation. Every time we throw away a plastic bottle, drive our cars, and even burn those millions of fossil fuels to operate all those huge factories, there is a chance it will pollute the ocean and eventually effect the way we live. There should be stricter laws regulating human pollution, in order to protect our oceans ecosystem. The ocean is an abundant source of life. It is home to thousand of different creatures, provides a great source of food, and provides the earth with about one half of the oxygen needed to sustain life. (National Geographic) Pollution especially plastic, is a catastrophic problem. Ironically plastic, which is a material designed to last forever is generally used for things we tend to throw away. Every year about one hundred to two hundred billion pounds of plastic are manufactured. Only 31% of that plastic is actually recycled. Biomass packaging estimates 10% of that plastic ends up in the ocean annually. About 20% of it coming from ships and other platforms, and the other 80% coming from land derived sources, such as international garbage dumping, winds or tides either way it finds its way to the ocean.(Biomass Packaging Co., et al) Plastic in the ocean does not biodegrade, it only breaks down i... ... middle of paper ... ...es Faculty. 2012. 11 April 2014. http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/health/case_studies/plastics.html “Ocean Plastic Pollution” Biomass Packaging Company NP web 16 April 2014 http://bomasspachaging.com/education/ocean-plastic-pollution “Plastic Trash Vortex” National Geographic. NP web 16 April 2014 http://education.nationalgeogrphic.com/education/encyclopedia/great-pacific-grabage-patch/?ar_a=1 “Plastic Pollution” Disney nature Oceans. NP web 18 April 2014. http://takepart.com/oceans/plastic-pollution Roach, John “Source of Half’s Earths oxygen Gets little Credit” National Geographic. 28 October 2010. 16 April 2014 http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0607_040607_phytoplankton_2.hyml “Solutions to Plastic Pollution in our ocean” Natural Resources Defense Council. 3 March 2014. web 20 April 2014http://nrdc.org/oceans/plastic-ocean/default.asp

More about Water Pollution: Plastic in the Ocean

Open Document