The Insurance Opt Out Bill

725 Words3 Pages
The biggest decision health care decision since Obamacare is taking effect this May. Public Act 182 of 2013, known as the “Rape Insurance Bill” or the “Insurance Opt Out Bill” was passed on December 11th, 2013 and has begun taking place this March. This bill requires a separate rider to be purchased for health insurance for abortion including in cases of incest or rape. The "citizen-initiated" law, backed by Right to Life of Michigan, will take effect in March without crossing the governor's desk or appearing on the statewide ballot next year. Michigan Right to Life was able to gather enough signatures representing a mere 4.2% of Michigan voters to put a bill before the state legislature. I find it appalling that less than 5% of Michigan voters can make a decision for the other 95% of Michigan residents. “This tells women who were raped … that they should have thought ahead and planned for it,” said Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat from East Lansing. This statement summarizes the argument clearly. Rape is not something that should be planned for. Planning for rape shows that as a society we are desensitized to this horrific act, and that it is a common place event. It sends the message that rape victims are to blame, as they should plan ahead for such things, by buying the rape insurance. During the Debates Whitmer disclosed that she was a victim of rape. “It’s something I’ve coped with privately for many years now, but I felt it was important for my Republican colleagues to see the face of the women they’re hurting with their actions today. Thank god I didn’t get pregnant as the result of my own attack, but I can’t even begin to imagine now having to think about the same thing happening to my own daughters.... ... middle of paper ... ..., “Insurers had to tell the state in February if they planned to offer and sell the abortion riders. That means anyone who purchases insurance as an individual — either inside or outside the new federal health-care exchange — will not be able to obtain coverage for abortion services.” The Detroit Free Press stated “It’s unclear how much the riders in the employer-sponsored plans will cost.” This is one of the components that I find particularly unsettling. College students are one of the largest groups that are uninsured in America, and are at the greatest risk for needing the insurance riders, because over 50% of rapes take place on college campuses. I feel that those individuals who would be unable to pay out of pocket for services, will be unable to afford the extra cost each month (like college students), which has been estimated as high as an extra $15 a month.
Open Document