Group 1, Alkali Metals, consists of the elements: lithium (Li), sodium (Na), potassium (K), rubidium (Rb), cesium (Cs), and francium (Fr). Alkali Metals are highly reactive metals. They share the same physical and chemical properties. A similar physical property is that they are soft, and have low boiling and melting temperatures. Plus, Li, K, and Na have lower densities than water. Another physical property, they have weak metallic bonding. Some chemical properties which make these elements similar are that they are strong reducing agents. The combination with oxygen will oxidize the metals. This is why they are stored in oil (ex: Sodium (Na) is stored in mineral oil).
Group 2 are the Alkaline Earth Metals. This group consists of the elements: beryllium (Be), magnesium (Mg), calcium (Ca), strontium (Sr), barium (Ba), and radium (Ra). Alkaline Earth Metals are high in reactivity, but not as high as the Group 1, the Alkali Metals. The elements in Group 2 have similar physical and chemical properties. A physical property they share is that they have higher melting points. As well as being denser, and harder than potassium (K), and sodium (Na). Group 2's chemical properties include that the elements increasingly become electropositive. Another chemical property the group has is the elements are dominated by the strong reducing power of the metals.
Group 17, Halogens, consists of the elements: fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At). Halogens are a group of non-metals. The similar physical properties that they share is the halogens will become diatomic molecules when stored or in a room temperature space. Diatomic molecules are molecules consisted of only two atoms. But are the same or different chemi...
... middle of paper ...
...ARTH ELEMENTS BRIEFING NOTE." The Geological Society. The Geological Society, n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2013
- Helmenstine, Anne M. "Transition Metals." About.com Chemistry. About.com, n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2013
- "Frontier Rare Earths." Frontier Rare Earths. Frontier, n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2013.
- "Visual Elements: Group 1 - The Alkali Metals." Visual Elements: Group 1 - The Alkali Metals. Royal Society of Chemistry, n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
- "Visual Elements: Group 2 - The Alkaline Earth Metals." Visual Elements: Group 2 - The Alkaline Earth Metals. Royal Society of Chemistry, n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
- "Visual Elements: Group 17 - The Halogens." Visual Elements: Group 17 - The Halogens. Royal Society of Chemistry, n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
- "Visual Elements: Group 18 - The Noble Gases." Visual Elements: Group 18 - The Noble Gases. Royal Society of Chemistry, n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.