The Correlation of Health Plan Surveys

1121 Words5 Pages
The Correlation of Health Plan Surveys and Quality Standards The standards of care makes a real difference to the quality of our lives, whether we are the patients or the relatives of those who are. Because of budget constraints, nurses are now forced to be a jack-of-all-trades and management is placing resources wherever the need is greatest. Qualitative measures must be scrutinized in order to produce satisfactory results when considering the best care possible for our nation. Sentara CarePlex Hospital After reviewing Sentara CarePlex Hospital in Hampton, Virginia, I noticed that an area that greatly needs improvement is the response of medical personnel to patients need for help. The patient survey shows that only 65% of patients at Sentara CarePlex Hospital reported that they received care immediately after asking for help. This leaves 35% of patients who reported that they did not receive help as soon as they asked for it. Customer satisfaction in this case relates to quality outcomes because customers gage quality on their expectation against the actual service provided. When a patient asks for help, they expect that the care provider have a willingness and ability to help them in a timely manner. Most of the time, a patient only needs to ask for water or some other minimal thing, but there are the instances where a medical emergency arises and the patient needs immediate lifesaving care. Many of the problems that arise from the lack of prompt care are problems that develop over time, such as bed sores, bladder infections, and dehydration, to name a few. An example of lackluster care was reported in an article written by Campbell (2011), in The Guardian. His findings are based on a study of NHS and the elde... ... middle of paper ... ...r performance among medical facilities. Strategic planning, performance improvement, and information systems play a pivotal role in promoting high standards of health care services. To provide the best care possible for our nation, quality measures must be scrutinized. References Campbell, D. (2011, Feb. 14). Elderly NHS patients’ harrowing plight is revealed in report. Retrieved on February 6, 2012, from http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/ 2011/feb/15/nhs-report-elderly Clarke, S. & Donaldson, N. (2008, April). Patient safety and quality: An evidence-based handbook for nurses. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); p. 92 O’ Daniel, M. & Rosenstein, A. (2010). Professional communication and team collaboration. Retrieved on February 6, 2012, from http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nurseshdbk/ docs/O'DanielM_TWC.pdf
Open Document