Sleep Disorders: Rapid Eye Movement

1718 Words7 Pages
"Sleep disorders appear to be a global epidemic, affecting up to 45% of the world's population" (Noor, et al n.p.). That’s leaving a 55% chunk of the world’s population not affected. More than 70 million people in our nation experience sleep disorders, most of whom are unaware of the impact on their daily life (Wells,Vaughn 234). Due to a large portion of people being unaware of sleep disorders’ impaction, the number continuously increases. Major sleep disorders are known to be Rapid Eye Movement(REM), Insomnia, and Obstructive Sleep Apnea(OSA). Over 80 medically recognized sleep disorders exist with insomnia, sleep apnea, snoring, jet lag, shift work, sleepwalking and restless legs syndrome being some of the most common (Wells, Vaughn 234). "Poor sleep in the general population has been shown to have a significant impact on daily function, including considerable daytime cognition dysfunction, decreased ability to accomplish daily tasks, diminished sense of success and achievement, depressed mood, and reduced enjoyment of interpersonal relationships" (Andrews, Strong n.p. 500). Sleep disorders affect a large portion of society, leading people to have a daily lifestyle of drowsiness, stress and poor productivity; treatment has increased as more people become aware of sleep disorders.
Many people in the United States, view poor sleep to be an individual's choice instead of an affliction. The number of sleep disorders that are present today is over the top. "Insomnia affects 10 to 15% of the general population and is the most prevalent sleep problem" (Wells, et al 235). With the statistic: 45% of the world’s population is affected by sleep disorders (Noor, et al n.p.). It’s an eye opener to know 15% of the 45% is impaired by Insomni...

... middle of paper ...

...y 2014.
Schoenfeld, Frank B., Jason C. Deviva, and Rachel Manber. "Treatment Of Sleep Disturbances In Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Review." Journal Of Rehabilitation Research & Development 49.6 (2012): 729-752. Academic Search Premier. Web. 4 May 2014.
Taub, Leslie-Faith M. "Making The Diagnosis: Idiopathic Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder." Journal Of The American Academy Of Nurse Practitioners22.7 (2010): 346-351. Academic Search Premier. Web. 18 May 2014.
Volgin, Denys V., et al. "Time- And Behavioral State-Dependent Changes In Posterior Hypothalamic GABAA Receptors Contribute To The Regulation Of Sleep." Plos ONE 9.1 (2014): 1-16. Academic Search Premier. Web. 4 May 2014.
Wells, Mary Ellen, and Bradley V. Vaughn. "Poor Sleep Challenging The Health Of A Nation." Neurodiagnostic Journal 52.3 (2012): 233-249. Academic Search Premier. Web. 18 May 2014.

More about Sleep Disorders: Rapid Eye Movement

Open Document